Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:05:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 110
Total: 110

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recently diagnosed - less than 1 year infected  (Read 9923 times)

Offline Chia_Like_I_Shall_Grow

Recently diagnosed - less than 1 year infected
« on: June 29, 2018, 09:29:04 pm »
I am here seeking advice and encouragement. I had got myself into a bad spot last summer and used a bad needle. I discovered the person I was using with had hep c.

My first gastro appointment is in August. I am anxious to start treatment and I have not used drugs since last summer. I am having trouble with quitting drinking. I was drinking until I found out, i have so much anxiety and depression. In have not told my family. I told my boyfriend because I was worried about his health. His results came back negative and he left me. I feel miserable because he was my rock, but I know he cannot trust me because I did not tell him I shared a needle but he knew I had used.

I have anthem bcbs. What should I expect in the first couple of appointments? How soon should I be able to start treatment (I will quit drinking). How should I tell my family?

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Recently diagnosed - less than 1 year infected
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 10:18:20 pm »
Hi and welcome :)

Your doctor will probably have you do a couple of more lab tests if you haven’t already done them. If you have only had the antibody test one would be the HCV RNA by PCR to confirm current infection and viral load. The other would be a genotype test to determine the specific variety of hep c you are infected with. Genotypes have Mamés like 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b and so on. I believe there are 16 different genotypes and several differing treatments based on your genotype. Once your genotype is determined your doctor will determine the best treatment for you.

Your doctor may also have you do an ultrasound to see how your liver is doing as well as either a Fibroscan test which is similar to an ultrasound but can estimate liver stiffness of a fibro sure a blood test that can also estimate liver stiffness an estimate of liver scarring but from what you have said I wouldn’t really expect to see any liver damage at this point.

As far as telling your family or friends that is up to you if you feel you need to but you don't really have to. You should tell an intimate partner at least until you are cured.

As far as your boyfriend who bailed on you I guess if he was angry because you weren’t honest with him that is one thing but to run out when you need him most if the only reason was because of your infection that day much more about him than you. You don’t need someone who runs away at the first sign of trouble.

Congrats on your efforts to clean up your life and best of luck to you.

Please let us know if you have any questions. 
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:38:53 pm »
Thank you for your reply! I've had the viral load done. So now I need to know genotype and how fucked up my liver is. I still love the shit out of him. He's the one who helped pull me out of addiction. Forever grateful for him being there for me during that trial. I have also told my roommate for the obvious. She has been super distant. I feel like she and my boyfriend are afraid of me.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 11:53:52 pm »
Transmission in a household setting is basically not common. Just avoid sharing fingernail clippers, razors and tooth brushes is what the CDC suggests.

Also sexual transmission between long term monogamous couples is not common we have had many here where one partner is infected and the other is not. The CDC does recommend the use of barrier protection for people with multiple partners, those who engage in rough sexual practices and in the presence of HIV as the risk is greater in these situations.

You really don’t need to tell anyone except a new intimate partner and be careful around others if you have a bleeding injury to avoid exposing them to your blood. Hep C is not easily transmitted.

Hopefully, those you have already told will come around. But you are not a danger to anyone unless you share needles or decide to become blood siblings.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 09:15:37 am »
I'm so glad I stumbled upon this forum. It's truly a blessing! I have noticed weird things happening to my skin, such as; extremely itchy skin on the tops of my feet and around my ankles, weird little red rashes that pop up and disappear on
Their own, little red dots/bumps, raised hive looking bumps, little purple spots. Would this indicate it is hurting my liver more quickly? Also i get more achey and itchy at night.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 12:21:44 pm »
It takes decades of infection to cause liver damage. Only about 20% of people infected for 20 years will develop liver cirrhosis. For those infected for longer times the odds of liver damage do increase.

Hepatitis C is a slow acting virus. It is caused a silent illness because most people have no idea that are infected because they have no symptoms.

You might want to ask your doctor about your symptoms or try some oatmeal based soap to help with the itching.

I did find this when I googled raised red bumps

“Contact dermatitis is an allergic skin reaction that produces an itchy, red skin rash. The rash may consist of raised, red bumps that ooze, drain, or crust. ... Keratosis pilaris is a skin condition marked by an overgrowth of a protein called keratin. It causes small bumps around hair follicles on the body.”
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.