Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:13:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 69
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hepa B transmission through contact with cuts and scratches  (Read 7711 times)

Offline hep_sufferer

I am new to this community, so please bear with me.

I have Hepatitis B and am worried that I may have accidentally transmitted the disease when I had my haircut today. A day prior to this, I shaved my beard, causing some cuts and scratches on my neck. Before cutting my hair, the barber wrapped a cape around my neck, covering the spot where I recently had some cuts, to prevent the cut hair from getting into my clothes. I did not see any blood while having the haircut, but when I got home I dabbed a napkin on my cuts and saw some traces of blood.

I am now worried that the piece of cloth that he used around my neck may have come in contact with some blood from my cuts. He also uses this cloth with his other clients.

What are the chances that I have transmitted Hepatitis B and what I can do about this situation.

Thank you and I am looking forward to your helpful responses.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Hepa B transmission through contact with cuts and scratches
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 08:57:04 pm »
https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hbv/bfaq.htm

“The hepatitis B virus is spread when blood, semen, or other body fluid infected with the hepatitis B virus enters the body of a person who is not infected. People can become infected with the virus from:

Birth (spread from an infected mother to her baby during birth)
Sex with an infected partner
Sharing needles, syringes, or drug preparation equipment
Sharing items such as toothbrushes, razors or medical equipment such as a glucose monitor with an infected person
Direct contact with the blood or open sores of an infected person
Exposure to blood from needlesticks or other sharp instruments of an infected person
Hepatitis B virus is not spread through food or water, sharing eating utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, hand holding, coughing, or sneezing.”

Your blood would have to enter the blood stream of an uninfected person. Highly unlikely this would happen in the scenario described.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:59:46 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline hep_sufferer

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:24:03 pm »

Thank you, Lynn K.

Do you reckon I should not worry about it?

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 12:24:33 am »
“Do you reckon I should not worry about it?”

As a lay person with no medical training I reckon you don't need to worry but for a more informed answer you should discuss your concerns with your doctor they should be able to guide you in how to best avoid accidently infecting others and what are precautions you should take.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.