Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:18:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 81
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Return of the Beast!  (Read 60690 times)

Offline slats1056

• SVR to all and to all a good life!
The Return of the Beast!
« on: August 19, 2018, 09:06:00 am »
Hello Ladies and Germs of Heplandia ;)                                                                            It seems that the plague has returned! Just got My lab work results back , and after almost three years of SVR the Dragon has awakened once again. >:( :( HCV RNA by PCR Quantitive count is 1.02 million , AFP tumor markers elevated, glucose levels and ldl cholesterol as well! Have a referral to a new gastro. since mine has retired , have an abdominal ultrasound scheduled in a couple of weeks. Getting ready for the battery of labs and tests that are coming , as well as the accompanying doubts , fears , and stress that come along with it.  :P I am so over all of the bullshit that has  transpired over the last three years . What should have been a remarkable set of circumstances has turn to shit at every bend in the road. After effects from treatment , separation and pending divorce (and the sordid details that accompany it) , Hurricane and flooded house ,  repair of said house and having to live in an apartment for six or seven months , work is in the toilet these days but I still can't afford not to work. Thinking about retirement should be an enjoyable time after working full time since a teenager but that ain't gonna happen. HSA account will be decimated once again. AND THAT IS JUST THE BEGINNING!!!!! :'( :'( :'(   But I digress. It has taken Me 61 years to realize that I cannot control any of this shit , so I must accept and proceed to the next step .  Excuse My French but Fuck them all and feed them fish heads!!!!!!!!  I apologize for the rant . It does make Me feel better to vent rather than vent to My kids and kick the dog , LOL! ;D Oh well, it looks like I am back for better or worse , for richer or poorer , in sickness and in health--- OH WAIT , THAT WAS A CROCK OF FUCKING SHIT AS WELL!        Sorry , no witty anectdotes today Boys and Girls!  Hello to all of You around the world. I hope to re-join the conga line in the future.        SLATS. 8)                                                                                                               
73 non ab 98 hep c refused pegint/riba
6-15 Gen.1b 1/2 MIL ALT72 AST37 No cirrhosis
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks
10-14-15 EOT VIRAL LOAD NON-DET  
12-30-15 EOT+12 VIRAL LOAD NON DET  SVR12            8-9-18 HCV LOAD 1.02IU/ml AST22  ALT30 RELAPSE?
9-18-18 confirmed gt 1b relapse
10-16-18 approved 16 weeks Mavyret

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: The Return of the Beast!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 09:09:29 pm »
Oh my gosh so sorry to read all tha has been happening to you

I have no words :(
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline danton

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 11:58:12 am »
You relapsed after 3 Yrs. SVR ??

I don’t believe there is any documented cases of that happening.
I would imagine any one involved in the research of “Sustainability of SVR” would certainly be very interested in your case.

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 12:50:12 pm »
OMG. What can I say slats! The only thing that might be happening that I can think of is a different HCV rna than the one you were treated for. It may very well be that dual infections can happen and be masked with DAA treatment and you are one unlucky person that had more than one strain of the virus.
I was wondering why my doctor retested after 3 years SVR "just to put a nail in it". My GP is one smart cookie and does keep up with all the latest info on infectious diseases.
I know that this is another hell you are going through, I just found out that my younger brother has confirmed prostate cancer so your situation has brought tears!
Please keep us informed when you have confirmation of what strain of HCV is now eating away at your liver and if it is the same strain you were treated for or a rogue ill defined one. Retro viruses like HCV are horrible and the more we understand how they act over time the better treatments will become.
Easy for me to say all this ...but do try to occupy yourself with things that take your mind away from the horror while waiting for information. For a great many years if I did not have my classical guitar and fly fishing to look forward to I know I would have not made it this far.
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline slats1056

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 01:55:14 pm »
Thanx for the replies guys! I am totally confused now. I just went to the Docs office and got a print out of the tests for My records. It reads as follows---HCV RNA, QUANTITIVE REAL TIME PCR 1020000  H  NOT DETECTED IU/ml followed by 6.01  H  NOT DETECTED Log IU/ml  The numbers are in bold print. The Doc was not in the office and the Nurse Practitioner was very vague as to why she told Me I was detected positive. She apologized profusely and suggested I come back and talk with the Doc. I am so pissed and confused at this point that I cannot see straight. I am so disappointed about the retirement of My Gastro because he was so thorough in testing and explaining things to Me. I also need to verify the genotype as I was tested and treated for Type 1b initially. I am livid about the incorrect info. and lack of explanation at this point. I won't get to see My new gastro. until 9-14-18 , so I am trying to calm myself any way possible. Do the above numbers stick out to You guys?
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks
12-30-15 EOT+12 VIRAL LOAD NON DET  SVR12            8-9-18 HCV LOAD 1.02IU/ml AST22  ALT30 RELAPSE?

Offline danton

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 02:11:21 pm »
slats

Can you copy the actual report?
It does show 1.2 mill and the log to to represent same
Do Not Det. seems odd.
Possibly where the numbers are is the lab reference range.
If you can somehow copy report I should be able to decipher.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 02:20:06 pm »
Hi Slats,
If you can scan it in or take a photo and attach, that would be great (blot out your name, med rec #, etc). Also, it would help if you showed a copy of your 12 or 24 week post-treatment viral load.
Cheering for you and we'll help you get through this.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline slats1056

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 04:34:41 pm »
I have not been able to locate My records since the house flooded a year ago. Things are still in disarray with things still in boxes as well as storage. Don't know if they are still packed up or were lost to the water in the house. Trying to get My records from My Gastro who retired last year.
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 04:41:25 pm »
I guess your doctor doesnt have something like MyChart or similar online account access.

I sure like using that as I can see my tests any time. Also to communicate directly with my doctor if not urgent as it takes a couple of days to hear back.

Really would like to see your currents results sounds very odd a viral load number and not detected really odd I sure hope this is a weird false alarm
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 07:11:37 pm »
To anyone following this thread, I asked Slats to email me his results since we couldn't figure out how to upload them. I don't usually take personal emails, but this is a highly unusual situation and I think we all want to know what's going on. He's given me permission to move the discussion to the forum.

Slats is indeed HCV-positive. He is looking for his week 12 EOT results. I looked up his previous post about it and it said, "  HCV RNA VIRAL LOAD NON DETECTED Log10 <1.2 IU/ml"
Looking at the way this current lab report was written, if they used a similar format for the EOT, then in fact NON DETECTED referred to the reference range and his results were Log10 <1.2 IU/ml, meaning he had a viral load. This is only speculation on my part, but I suspect he never had an SVR.

Slats, you probably need support and condolences rather than a discussion of good news right now. However, ff there is any good news to be had here, it is that a savvy doc checked you now. And there are really good treatments for you. And if my suspicion proves correct, the other good news is that you don't have a new infection.

If you want the help, we'll hold you up through this.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline slats1056

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 07:38:47 pm »
Thank You Lucinda! I AM TOTALLY NUMB right now! The total disbelief is extremely unnerving! I am having trouble processing all of this right now. The one bright spot is that the Forum is so supportive and informative. Here is hoping for the best. Wish I had the ability to come up with a witty response right now , but I just don't have it in Me.
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 08:15:26 pm »
I've looked at your EOT + 12 week labs. They are quite confusing, but it does appear you were cured. In short, my theory was wrong.  I've never seen anything like this. Is there any chance that this could be a new infection? Your enzymes would likely be quite high about 6-12 weeks after the infection.
I assume your doc will run a genotype test to see if this is a different type. By any chance, were you genotype 3?
Do you have questions that you want to run by us? If so, ask. Even if it sounds like a silly question.

The witty response will come. Even if you had one, I don't think any of us could muster a good laugh - it's all quite a shock.

Stay close. I'm sorry you are going through this but thank you for allowing us to learn from this.

Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline danton

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 08:31:43 pm »
slats,

First and foremost I am sorry this was the result you received 3 yrs post treatment.I can only imagine how you are feeling.

The good news is as Lucinda mentions, Vosevi and Mavyret are now on the market and both ,especially Vosevi is tailer made for just this situation.
In trials it had better than 97% success and many in those trials had failed Harvoni.

I think I would possibly tend to have a different opinion about the interpretation of your past results and whether or not you SVR'd,given a few things I see in your signature line,however I don't feel right now may be the time with what you are dealing with.

I will say though I hope the new gastro is going to run a new Genotyping and resistance testing before initiating any new treatment.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Offline danton

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 08:32:35 pm »
Posts crossed Lucinda

My thoughts exactly

Offline slats1056

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 08:45:04 pm »
 I we are talking about ns5a/ns5b ravs? Is dual infection even possible? I cannot think of any way of re-infection with the exception of the flooding from Hurricane Harvey a year ago! Wouldn't the genotype testinf initially done show a co-infection? is there a specific test for the different genotypes? Has anyone seen My brain? I seem to have misplaced it. If You have , please alert the authorities! LMFAO ;)
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline slats1056

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 08:50:48 pm »
BTW, danton, I didn't intend to by pass Your original post. I initially found this website through Lucindas' blog when I first began treatment. My apologies as it was not intentional. Had a brain fart and went to familiar territory as it were. Nice To meet You! :-[
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline danton

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 09:08:32 pm »
slats,

Absolutely no apologies needed. Posts cross and I have also read many of Lucinda's writings and also have very high reagard.

I agree that this is very confusing and even moreso for someone who has not seen the actual PCR report.

The viral load  of 1020000 certainly means there is viremia,however Not Detected means just that,so those two results beside each other certainly causes confusion.

If this was me,before anything else I would have my PCR repeated for clarification and at the same time ask for a genotyping done then go from there.

Offline slats1056

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 09:15:24 pm »
All of My initial testing for genotype showed 1b. I have been clean for at least 25 Years( been so long I can't remember) Although I drank like a fish for years until I got the Hep C diagnosis after a routine check up and blood work. And I ain't no angel or a liar , I did have the celebratory drink or three after the fact. Can't think of how I might have gotten re-infected during the flood! Any ideas?????? If You have read My initial post You can probably guess the answer to the sex question. ROTFL!!! :o ??? ::) :-[  Haven't been riding for years , so no fights or wrecks to have been cross contaminated by anyone. No transfusion ever , no air guns since child hood , no new Tattoos ( although I have been tempted but broke). I am totally stumped by this outcome. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT I WANT TO BE KNOWN AS BEING THE FIRST AT ??? :o :( :-\ >:(  LMFAO , My head is hurting so I am taking a break guys.  Toodles, Tommy
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 10:13:54 pm »
It's not uncommon for us to have multiple genotypes. Usually the most dominant one expresses itself, thus we appear to have only one type. Occasionally people will switch types as one becomes more dominant. This happened to me, but in my case it was just 1a to 1b. Occasionally, a genotype test will show more than one.

That said, the reason I asked if you could be GT3 is because there have been some cases of GT3's becoming viremic between weeks 12 and 24 post-treatment.

Danton is right - get retested because this could be a mistake. And they should check GT.

Clearly, you don't have any obvious risk factors, so reinfection doesn't seem plausible. Unrelated to the flood. The alcohol use would not do this - hope you enjoyed it. Nothing to worry about there. Hope we can raise a toast to you again when this is behind you.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline slats1056

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 10:27:33 pm »
 Allready have a list a mile long in anticipation of Doc visit. i.e. re-testing , genotype, quantitative , rav testing , an so on. I was not aware of dual genotype infection or dominant genotype take over, interesting to say the least. Well I thought I enkoyed the drinks but paid the price the next day. Felt like crap big time. Never been first at anything that I can remember , but this sucks big time.                                                           
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline Mugwump

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 02:13:19 pm »
I know I might be blowing smoke out my arse with this post. BUT a newly networked software spreadsheet may very well generate a spurious report error. If it is done through a poorly executed excel spread sheet networking extension that automatically forwards to doctors offices.
AND STILL report as NOT DETECTED thus confusing the hell out of even a doctor.
It may very well be something as minor as a change in a spread sheet equation input field that is causing obfuscation of results going on here. Otherwise it would be completely asinine to use the words NOT DETECTED in such an important document!
My reports never combined the words NOT, and DETECTED until it actually happened in 2015. So I have never been unsure of a viral detection report result when I received one.

Otherwise I am sure I would have had kittens upon seeing them and thrown a chair through a window.  When I was shown the lab results on screen the first time I failed treatment in 2003-4 the word used was detected with an actual viral load. 
Clerical error and software error, in what are essentially networked spread sheets are certainly not unknown problems. Especially in modern medical imaging information management, which is my wifes specialty. Anyone who works setting up networked spread sheets can easily make an error that can do strange things to the screen printouts of information streams.
By any chance did the doctor you are seeing just re-establish or newly establish online records communications? Is it a new Doctor's office you are seeing? If this is the case be patient with them, I am sure they have your best interests in mind.

All my best thoughts and wishes that this is what actually happened here.
Eric

Offline Steve76

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 06:05:09 pm »
I haven't posted on this forum for quite a long time. I was cured in 2016.

I think this is a mistake. You did not mention your alt or ast levels, I would imagine they would be elevated if you were reinfected.

Personally I would not wait, you can get the alt and ast levels checked anywhere really cheaply. If your Alt and Ast levels were elevated then I would believe the report.  Since the report did say Not Detected I believe that is what you are! So you had your AFP test done why not the Hepatic panel which would include the Alt/Ast. I am confused...Good luck
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:07:53 pm by Steve76 »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 06:19:01 pm »
Yes that is a good idea when I relapsed after 12 weeks of Sovaldi/Olysio the first result I got back was my liver enzyme test which showed one of my liver enzymes has risen above normal and soon after they were both again above normal range. Elevated liver enzymes would still not guarantee a relapse but would be an indication you may have.

Again so sorry to read you are in this situation. I am hoping for better news once you see your doctor.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 07:01:55 pm »
Hi Slats - one more question - has your doc ever tested you for cryoglobulinemia? I don't suspect this, nor do I think it is at play here, but I am curious because of some things I saw in some of your posts.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline slats1056

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 07:30:23 pm »
Not that I recall, ( cryo do what LOL ) I will check as I found parts of My records last night. AST 22 ALT 30 , Three more pages of results that have not posted. Lucinda if You would like I can repeat process & send to You. Has anyone heard of a relapse after this long of a period????? I usually update My signature when labs come in, just been totally blown away and My mind is still going 90 miles an hour. TMI syndrome. Mugsy , I will check with Doc and Lab about procedure. Sorry to here about Your brother as well. I'm going to get a re-test i.e. hepatic panel , genotype , etc. as soon as I can. The problem is juggling work, the house & repairs , family problems , so I can afford everything! Trust Me I an working on it, just way to much on My plate at the moment. Everything off of the platter is being crammed onto a saucer.
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 07:44:58 pm »
I am still trying to find a way to get this info visible to everyone, but at this point, let's hold off with more labs. I think seeing your doc is your next step. Actually, an even better next step is to take a break from this for a bit. This feels bad, but medically speaking, it isn't urgent. Recapturing your sanity and inner peace are priority. We are here for the long haul and if you can find a way to step back for a bit, you will be too. One thing I tell myself is, "Step away from the computer." It helps.

Albeit rare, all the return of hep C stories I've heard have had logical explanations, including false lab reports.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline danton

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 08:04:27 pm »
Lucinda says:

" Actually, an even better next step is to take a break from this for a bit"

I would certainly second that,given what you have on your plate slats.

Just like to leave you with this until you get all your tests done.

If this is a false lab report you are golden and if in the event you have indeed relapsed then know that Vosevi for 12 weeks in the Polaris trial cured 75 of 75 patients who relapsed with GT 1b

Hope that helps relax you a bit.

Good luck

Offline slats1056

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 08:42:36 pm »
 Good call Guys. That is what I love most about this place, the voice of reason is always right up there calming the frenzied mind from eating itself alive ;) What You never think about , someone is always there to ground You. Letting things cool off as well as calming the storm. Strangely I feel better with those words of sanity in this crazy ass journey. Here is hoping for mistakes for once :).  One last tidbit of info, My kids think they might be able to help with getting the info. uploaded and posted to the Forum. We will see , but after a calming period to keep My brain from going off the rails of this crazy train to quote Ozzy Osbourne. ;D You guys just cannot fathom the feelings that I am experiencing knowing all of You are out there with kind words , support , caring , and all of the help that You provide. All of You deserve a virtual pat on the back from Me, so here it is :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Lets' lighten the mood a bit , any body out there that have joined the world wide conga line . All hail HEPLANDIA 8) 8) 8)
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 12:07:48 pm »
Here are Slats results, and when you see them, I think it will be easier to discuss:
Recent results:

12 week post-EOT

EOT

As you can see, the recent results are clear because they put the results in one column and the reference range in the other column.

The EOT lab reports are oddly written but I assume that the results are reported and they don't state reference ranges in the column form but put an explanation below (since technically there aren't ranges but goals).

Does anyone see this differently?

Another explanation did occur to me that maybe the 2 EOT labs were wrong, but probability makes it more likely that the recent lab was wrong rather than 2 prior labs.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:15:34 pm by lporterrn »
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 12:25:51 pm »
I agree, Lucinda.   Leaving the ref range column blank is confusing, but assuming the 'non det' is not meant for the ref range column in both the EOT and EOT+12 results, then the latter result looks like SVR to me too.

Clearly, an anomaly like this shatters the security many of us feel once reaching what has been known as SVR.   Im SVR + 3.5 yrs, so Ill be following this thread Closely.  Have to find out what this is all about.  So sorry for Slats. Being such a rarity, all I can do is throw my hands up with a 'WTF'.
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline danton

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 12:29:32 pm »
HI Lucinda,

I was under the impression that we were possibly taking a break from this for a bit until slats had the opportunity to settle and get his retests done.

Does slats want to pick up the conversation on this now?

My notification goes off on this thread as I am very interested in this situation as I imagine many others are also.

I have definite thoughts on what I am seeing ,however still want to know slats is ok with discussing before I comment.

Thx

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2018, 12:53:47 pm »
Danton - I am so appreciative of your thoughtfulness. I told him I'd post these. and I think if you have insight on this, it is welcome.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline danton

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2018, 01:06:35 pm »
Ok,just didn't want to be discussing someones lab reports without him possibly knowing we were,however if he agreed you post them for perusal then thats great.

Just a  question Lucinda, I see the first report is a Quest Diagnostic Lab form,however I dont see a date. Have you blocked that out with copying an if so do you have the date on there?

Offline Steve76

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 01:57:32 pm »
This is very odd, I think going back to my previous post that slats needs to test his liver enzymes again. The test is cheap and will give him some relief if his enzymes fall within the normal range.

I realize that you can be infected and have enzymes within the normal range(out of normal range enzymes is still a huge red flag), but I think this would be a good start. This is how I found out I had Hep c, and probably many here as well.

Slats mentions AST 22 ALT 30 but no date. These numbers are in the normal range, but I think the ALT range is being revised to a lower upper limit and I think it is somewhere in the 30 range for men and women it is at 30. Possibly someone can enlighten?

As danton said there is no date on the first lab results. Just a heads up I think Quest Diagnostics is pretty horrible, just my opinion though.

Slats this will work out, I still think there is a mistake here. So you were checked at 3 months EOT, did you get checked after that? A physical with blood work? Again the liver enzymes can be telling.

This makes me want to retest my viral load again :(

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:20:58 pm by Steve76 »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2018, 02:26:51 pm »
My lab (labcorp) has normal ranges as follows

AST 0 to 40 IU/L
ALT 0 to 32 IU/L

Different labs have different reference ranges. Might depend on the units being used.

I had above normal ALT a month ago but was recovering from a broken ulna bone near the wrist and had been taking Aleve for pain. It is back to normal now on recheck. Any way elevated liver enzymes can be caused by other things.

I had a physical at work and had donated blood at about the same time. My work physical said I had elevated liver enzymes. The blood bank said I had hep c antibodies and thanks for donating but don’t come back. I got those letters one day apart. That was how I found out I had hep C.

I am hoping the recent lab is in error somehow but it sure looks like a positive test. I am more wondering about his EOT and 12 week post and that HCV LOG <1.2
I am wondering if he was actually clear or maybe weakly detected on the HCV LOG?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:31:01 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Mugwump

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 02:39:57 pm »
I just hope that this result was lab error caused by a sloppy lab technician. This problem has also been known to happen. Contamination of equipment is usually the problem and this is precisely why at first here in Canada the test was repeated to rule out any possible lab errors.

However it is still silly and irresponsible for their automated reports to include words NOT DETECTED in the same line as a result like a 1 million twenty thousand copies of virus. Reports I have seen only use NOT DETECTED in the method description above or below the result! It was an insensitive CLOD or a medically challenged software coder that coded that little bit of sql data base to networking extension!

Offline slats1056

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 04:05:33 pm »
Hey Guys , Go for it . If I get stressed I do like Lucinda said and back away from the computer and shut it off.
 Regarding EOT & EOT+12 Labs , I will have to check the paperwork , but My signature should coincide with them by about a week.  The ALT/AST numbers and current labs from Quest were drawn on 8-8-18 and went to the Doc on 8-17-18!

I WILL GLADLY ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THAT I CAN ON THIS SUBLECT! LUCINDA HAS MY PERMISSION AND AUTHORITY TO POST AND YOU GUYS CAN DISCUSS FREELY THE INFO. PROVIDED. JUST KNOW THAT I WILL BAIL OFF OF THE COMPUTER WHEN EVER I GET OVERWHELMED AND RETURN WHEN THE BRAIN CALMS DOWN ;) PLEASE BE PATIENT AND KNOW THAT I HAVE ALOT ON MY PLATE AT THE MOMENT.

Here hoping for errors and mistakes!!! I am working an getting another full blood work up as soon as I can.
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline slats1056

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 04:28:05 pm »
 Docs office just called & He concurs 1.02 iu/ml  & 6.01 log is a definite positive result for HCV virus. Waiting to find out if He or the new Gastro will do the complete Hepatic panel with Genotype & the works.
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 04:38:39 pm »
Thanks for the update Slats. Holding good thoughts for you.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline slats1056

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 04:45:58 pm »
No offense intended Lucinda , But You are a bright ray of sunshine in the shit storm that is life at the moment. I don't know what it is , but whenever I see a post by You or Gnatty ( even though You are both on the west coast and I am on the gulf coast )  I feel a smile come across My Face knowing that I will get an upbeat message from You guys. Not that all of the rest of You don't brighten My day as well ;D Thanx a bunch guys!
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 05:22:27 pm »
Slats, this is such a cruel blow to you.  Im sure you had written this whole episode off and gotten on with things; this must have been the last thing on your mind.. I mean, SVR is SVR, right?

Here's a study result with a not tiny cohort..  results were a late relapse rate subsequent to achieving SVR with a DAA of about 1%.. so it does happen but is extremely rare, although long term results on a more general scale are not known yet with DAAs.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29993164
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:26:08 pm by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil

Offline slats1056

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 07:09:59 pm »
 The Doc himself called Me as I was getting off work. Apparently He wanted to clear up things for Me. He said and I quote " The referral to the new Gastro. was not just to have a new Doc. but for HCV SCREENING FOR THE PURPOSE OF RE-TREATMENT OF THE VIRUS AND TO SET UP TESTING AND A PROTOCOL TO DECIDE WHAT COURSE TO TAKE GOING FORWARD" . The new gastro. will completely re-do bloodwork and testing to decide what is what. I.E Colonoscopy , Liver Biopsy , Gentype , MRI , ETC. ETC.   So after the ultra sound all records will be forwarded to him , as well as trying to get all of My records from My first Gastro. who has retired.
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline danton

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2018, 08:31:12 pm »
Hi slats,

I was hoping for you that this was a lab mix up somehow,that even possibly Quest had sent out one of your old PCR reports by mistake. Thats why I inquired about what date was on it.
Real long shot, but failing that I felt that you probablyhad viral load as those numbers were staring us in the face.

A blow for sure slats, however as I mentioned to you in a previous post that with the new drug out now (Vosevi) if this is a true relapse it is tailered made for it.
Not one GT1b in their trials on that drug failed to SVR and it is having excellent results out here on the market in relapse cases.

The new doctor should obviously run a Genotyping ,just to rule in or out that this could be a new infection. I read above you mentioned no risk factors for that,however as we all know, many folks have been diagnosed with this sneaky virus and had no risk factors and had no clue how they mayyhave been infected.

Finding this out may make a difference in what treatment you would do,however with either your chances of success are beyond excellent.

.I have a few questions for you about what testing you recieved after SVR 12.

If you are up to that great and if not maybe at a later time.

Sorry you have to face this again slats  ,however I have no doubt you will get rid of this once and for all!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 10:02:50 pm »
When the doc personally calls, I know you are in good hands. Now you can do some serious relaxing!!! We can relax through shit storms, or freak through them. A good support system and a doc who calls you is an invitation to relax.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline slats1056

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 11:20:54 pm »
  I ,located some of My records from EOT+12  through early 2017. Most are regular CBC blood work , some with AST/ALT numbers , from Internist and Gastro. ! No Viral loads or liver panels though. Brain dead at this time , so time to shut her down boys and girls. Thanx again Lucinda. Feel a strange calm although My mind is still a whirlwind of thoughts and questions.   Good nite all! :P                                                                                   
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline Mugwump

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2018, 02:29:29 am »
Hey slats after you have a good sleep. I predict that next week you will be puttin' redfish and shrimp with fresh peppers on a slow grill with a good San Antonio Texas BBQ chili sauce and chilling out. HANG IN THERE. The storms will pass. Just wish I could go wet a line and get a few for you!

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2018, 09:37:13 am »
Slats my friend,  my buddy, my treatment partner. I don’t know what to say, other than I am holding you in my thoughts and hoping that this is a nightmare that is quickly resolved for you.

I always appreciated your humour, your steadfast positivity and your presence here. Anything I can do to help, just let me know. Seriously.
Big hugs.
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline Steve76

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2018, 05:32:09 pm »
Slats,

This must be hard I understand, regardless you will make it through.

To beat a dead horse again your Ast/Alt are in the normal range. You said in your last post about old labs "Most are regular CBC blood work , some with AST/ALT numbers".

The Ast and Alt are part of the liver panel generally. Those numbers are how most people first get tested for Hepc when they are found to be above normal which yours are not.

The Not Detected in the Reference range slot is strange as well.

Personally I would seek out another medical group. 2nd opinions are a valuable tool for consumers. I would not trust the lab report showing the virus(2 big red flags). All of the testing they want to do sounds expensive(unless you have grade A insurance).

Get another Viral load test from a different provider and get your liver panels done which would include the ALT/AST. You can get this done quickly especially the Ast/Alt.

I am opinionated and I am trying to help. Too much testing when a little bit would clear everything up. If you indeed have the virus again then yes the extra testing would be required(genotype,and blood work,fibroscan).

Peace

Offline slats1056

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2018, 07:50:03 pm »
 Hey Mugwump ,  I was just thinking last week about a big saddle blanket Flounder deboned and stuffed with a mixture of cheese crackers,shrimp,crab,onions,celery,and bell peppers then topped with butter , smoked with some pecan tree trimmings from My back yard . Squeeze a lime over it when done , roll up Your sleeves and dive in My brother from another Mother ;) ;D  Drop some of the boiled shrimp in a jar and fill it with the BBQ sauce and chill over nite for a Texas style cocktail (Jalapenos optional) :P                                                                                Philly Girl , How are things down under My friend?  I appreciate the thoughts and well wishes big time. Hope this post finds You in good health and spirits. Not back to My witty usual self at the moment , but it should come. Been watching Your blog , too! I don't remember if I ever thanked You a while back for the nod to the Heplandia name! ;D .  I usually strive to be at least right up there with things that I do , but this is not what I want to be remembered as #1 for LOL!                                                                                 Steve ,  Hard???? Not really! Angry, Disconcerting, Unnerving ,Baffling ,Disappointing! Big time. :( ??? ::)  More bloodwork to confirm the matter is in the pipeline. If affirmative the battery will follow. Will look at the test results again when I get then sorted out and do some more looking, lots of stuff still in boxes and storage from the flood. Strange but most tests are Biopsy , Hepatic panel , Ultrasound , and MRI s. Fibroscans don't seem to have caught on down here , but I will inquire!                                                                                                               PEACE ALL OVER YOU GUYS AND HUGS TO ALL, AS WELL AS GOOD EATS! ROTFL 8) There it is , it is coming back to Me!
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline slats1056

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2018, 10:30:47 pm »
 O.K. Guys and Gals!!!! This is the question that I need help with--------------------------DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANOTHER CASE WHERE SOMEONE WAS UNDETECTED AT EOT, AND EOT + 12 ACHIEVED SVR12 AND FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES WAS CLEAR FOR ALMOST 3 YEARS AND RELAPSED AFTER TREATING WITH HARVONI FOR 12 WEEKS WITH GENOTYPE 1B?????? This is the one thing that I cannot fathom. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be 100% proof positive , but this has taken a piece of My sanity as well as a piece of Me and was pretty costly as well even with good insurance and help from Gilead. This not a poor , poor pitiful Me post and I know You can't put a price on life! As for the sanity part , I have been told many times that I am a crazy S.O.B! This is just seeking info. for My peace of mind and a little closure I guess You could say.  THE MIND IS GRINDING AGAIN AS DOUBTS AND INSECURITIES CREEP FROM THE NOOKS AND CRANNIES OF MY LITTLE OL' PEA BRAIN! Time to bail and re-group guys! See You in the funny papers or here on the Forums!  Health and well being to all of You around the world of Heplandia ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2018, 10:39:04 pm »
Pretty much this is why it is so concerning other than being worried about you is you are the first at least I have heard of. I think we had a couple of false alarms but haven’t heard of any confirmed.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline slats1056

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2018, 08:40:48 am »
 Thanx Lynn , I was doing some looking around last nite , but the brain was not co-operating. LOL. I am currently researching My new gastro. Doc referral as well as relapse stats and re-treatment options when I have the time. I appreciate the quick response. Very disturbing and worrisome indeed.  NOT TO ALARM ANYONE OR CAUSE A PANIC THIS EARLY IN THE GAME , BUT REGULAR RE-TESTING SEEMS TO BE IN ORDER ( REGARDLESS OF YOUR SVR STATUS ) I am wondering how all of this will get into the records and what Gilead would say? Assuming this all goes the way I think it is , being the rarity will not bother them in the least. ??? ::) :-\ :( >:(                                                 
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline danton

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2018, 09:31:15 am »
slats

The reason I asked you the other day what tests you had done after your EOT+12 was to see if there was a time frame on a possible relapse.

You said you had some CBC’s after but no viral loads done, and that would make it impossible to know with any certainty when you relapsed(if indeed you have).
The AASLD is still recommending a EOT +24 be done to confirm SVR.

Reason being, there is research ongoing on the length of time for SVR beyond any doubt.
As dragonslayer was good enough to copy one of those studies above it shows that there is indeed cases of true relapse after even 24 weeks ( one patient even as long as 32 Months after in that particular study

As dragonslayer also mentions because these drugs are relatively new the time frame is just not yet a certainty.

With the data so far though it is rare, looks like approx. 1% or less.

Many doctors knowledgeable about treating today will do EOT +12 but also 24 and many are doing 48, and even beyond yearly

If you have had a relapse it could have happened at week 13 post or anytime thereafter, be impossible to know because of no PCR done after post 12.

In most cases Alt/Ast will rise in the meantime as Steve has mentioned which is always a red flag. I agree with Steve that it is odd that yours did not rise.

Your VL test coming up will tell the tale if you have virus slats and you take it from.
I have already mentioned there are excellent treatments for relapse and  you should do very well .

I still have hope for you that this is just a lab cluster fuck error , however just my personal opinion is it could be late relapse(beyond EOT +12)

Hang in

Offline slats1056

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2018, 11:46:36 am »
 I must have missed the question about testing copies between EOT+12 and present in the confusion! I thought that I had made it clear that after the flood , I have lost/packed/not yet unpacked a lot of things . The labs that I have located so for were posted by Lucinda. The remainder I am compiling and trying to locate. I am also trying to get My records from My Gastro who treated Me as He has retired. I would assume they would be in there. The attachment that Dragon Slayer posted I believe pertained to Daclatasvir/Asunaprevir. While informative and are DAA's were not about Harvoni!  At the time I was treated if I recall correctly , protocol was EOT and EOT+12 = SVR12 being the gold standard. But that was 3 1/2 years ago. I of all people am keenly aware of the need for an accurate time line and am making every attempt at doing so.  WHY DON'T WE JUST LEAVE IT AT RELAPSED AFTER EOT+12/SVR12 UNTIL I CAN PROVIDE CONCRETE EVIDENCE IN THE FORM OF HARD COPY LAB REPORTS!  None the less I am still seeking any available info. on relapses for Genotype 1b for those who were treated with Harvoni ( Ledipisvir/Sofosbuvir DAA's) for further research into what RAV testing and treatment  options are open. I am not quite sure Why I had such a rough time during treatment compared to others (possibly a harbinger of what was to come? ) , but this time around I am trying to do My due diligence , more extensive research , ask more questions , and be as informed as I can! That is what I love about the Forums. Extensive library of information from people that are much smarter than I am , Ask the obvious stupid questions and yet still get an answer , unending support , great people , many new friends around the world , and BY GOD JUST A FEELING OF BELONGING AND SELF WORTH!  Oops, getting long winded and ranting again (but damn it feels good to get it of My chest )   :o ;) 8)  Later 'gators. Time to chill out.
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2018, 12:41:22 pm »
Although you aren't the first person I've known to have a relapse after an SVR12, you are the first I've known without a reasonable explanation. Examples of this are:
People with genotype 3
People who are coinfected with HIV
People with cryoglobulinemia
People who were tested with an insensitive viral load assay
People who were tested short of week 12 and didn't get further testing
False-postives

Danton is correct - usually liver enzymes are an indicator, but so far, what we have seen looks normal, so this would not have helped.

Danton pointed out the AASLD/IDS follow-up recommendations. The week 24 post-EOT recommendation is vague. The week 12 post EOT is clear:
Quantitative HCV viral load testing is recommended after 4 weeks of therapy and 12 weeks after completion of therapy.
  But at 24 weeks, the wording makes it look optional:
Quantitative HCV viral load testing can be considered at the end of treatment and 24 weeks or longer following the completion of therapy.

Despite the apparent optional of it, I am leaning towards retesting at the very least at week 24, perhaps one-year.

Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2018, 01:49:34 pm »
For myself after my fifth treatment of 24 weeks of Harvoni and ribavirin I asked to have testing at 6 months and one year but that was because of my treatment history of being a three time null responder to interferon based treatment and having relapsed after treating with 12 weeks of Sovaldi and Olysio plus having cirrhosis.

So with all that behind me it seemed reasonable to do additional testing. Kinda thinking about asking to do a viral load next spring with all this going on.

But with you being treatment naive without cirrhosis and 1b being more responsive than my 1a one would expect SVR12 would be a reasonable stopping point for viral load testing.

I am so hoping this is some egregious lab error.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline danton

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2018, 07:07:48 pm »
 I agree that the AASLD is somewhat vague on the 24 week testing ,which I have known them to be on a number of topics important to clinicians and patients.

These leading Hepatologists who are on the front line treating and teaching others are not so vague though.
This is an article put out just 8 weeks ago at CCO by :

Stefan ZuezemProgram Director
Jordan J. Feld, MD, MPH
Hemant Shah, MD, MScCH HPTE

PostTreatment Management
Successful Therapy
SVR is determined with measurement of HCV RNA using a highly sensitive assay 24 weeks following the end of treatment. SVR12 has been adopted by drug approval bodies as a surrogate for SVR24. Earlier response at 4 weeks after treatment is often reported by trial investigators as it is predictive of later response. These markers are undergoing validation in clinical trials. For patients treated with PI-containing regimens, SVR has been specifically defined as HCV RNA < 25 IU/mL at Week 24 posttreatment.

Lucinda says,"Despite the apparent optional of it, I am leaning towards retesting at the very least at week 24, perhaps one-year."

Personally I believe this should be recommended to all until the current research is more complete and published.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:39:30 pm by iana5252 »

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2018, 08:02:05 pm »
Here's a study I found done in October '16 with Harvoni  investigating long term relapse.. The link for the study abstract itself, performed by Oxford, is contained at the bottom of the linked article..

In a nutshell:
Out of 3004 participants who were SVR12, only 5  experienced relapse at 24wks post treatment, ie, a percentage of about  .16%

https://www.hepmag.com/article/late-viral-relapse-hepatitis-c-treatment-rare

Unfortunately, Harvoni, which only became approved at the end of 2014 hadnt been around long enough to get longer term results.  Hopefully, study results will be available which test for longer periods post treatment.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:06:15 pm by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil

Offline slats1056

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2018, 08:06:05 pm »
 Hey Lucinda , Danton , & All other interested Folks,   I have located six more Lab reports from 1-13-16 to 5-15-17 that total thirteen pages. Don't see any Viral loads quantitative or otherwise . I have also for Liver Biopsy from before treatment , results of a HIDA scan post treatment , and a lab report from My Urologist as well. The kids are setting up a printer/scanner tonite and we are going to try to upload them if possible this weekend. Please let Me know if I should leave any of the aforementioned tests out like the Biopsy , HIDA scan, and the urologist report. Still digging guys , bear with Me.
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline slats1056

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2018, 08:10:46 pm »
 Thanx Paul,  I am going to take a break and have some dinner with the kids, Plan on reading that link after I eat. I APPRECIATE the help!
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2018, 08:57:10 pm »
Paul - that's a good study.
Danton - I sure respect those experts, so thank you.
Slats - As curious as I am, I recommend you take a break from scanning and uploading and let's see what your doc has to say about all this. New info may be more useful than anything at this point. We can always revisit the older labs later. Personally, I think this is a good time to boost your immune system with low stress activities, esp. since you already have a lot going on. How does that sound?
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Type0Negative

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2018, 11:22:04 pm »
The scanning, the posting, the discussing are all in attempt to cope with this change. You doing good. I like your humorous approach. It is hard to just wait, humans have ability to solve problems and you want to do something to solve it, but you can't speed up the process.

I been reading about HCV for over 25 years and my impression was that you NEVER can be absolutely sure in Cure. This is like addiction- they say- it is life long condition. You can not be cured of alcoholism or substance misuse. It can return. So as HCV. One of the articles I have read in the past said that HCV in some cases able to cross blood/brain barrier and affect the brain, and medications can't cross the barrier, so the virus can return from there. I just recently got my EOT +12 results as not detected and I can't think of myself as being cured. I still view myself as someone with HCV. I am Gen 3 and I have a feeling it will return or already returning/returned. Does it gets better with time? I just don't see myself ever believing in cure. I actually believe in being cured from addiction. I think my chances of using opioids in the future are less than develop HCV again. Sorry for pessimism, but HCV is not that bad. We lived with it for so long- it does not make that much difference. I see very little advantage. If it returns, I will accept it. I had pretty hard time on treatment and not sure I would want to put myself through it again.

Offline danton

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2018, 05:48:56 am »
T Negative

Thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:53:52 am by danton »

Offline Mugwump

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2018, 09:00:49 am »
Extensive library of information from people that are much smarter than I am , Ask the obvious stupid questions and yet still get an answer , unending support , great people , many new friends around the world , and BY GOD JUST A FEELING OF BELONGING AND SELF WORTH!
This is not meant to criticize or critique your intelligence slats, indeed you are my brother form another mother. WE all become unsure of our intelligence, diligence, sanity and most of all sense of self worth with this God forsaken son of dog disease!
Waiting for test results is the hardest part of HCV regardless if the waits are during treatment or post treatment. I am sure all here feel the same way.
Please don't blame yourself or anyone if indeed you have relapsed. If you are still feeling energetic and otherwise in good health with normal or near to normal liver functions then most likely if anything the Harvoni treatment if it did fail, may very well have slowed down the progress of the disease somewhat.

When I was treated in 2003-04 with interferon and my liver was given almost a year of at least lower levels of infection the treatment, though a failure may very well of temporarily slowed my progress to cirrhosis. I had genotype 1a and before treatment in 2014-2015 and cure my sense of self worth was at a terrible low because my overall health was failing.

But enough about me: I know your mind is reeling and I know well what you are going through. Brother please do not beat yourself up over what is happening.
Eric

Offline dandyindeed

• Retired in Colorado *hits blunt
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2018, 11:54:21 pm »
Sometimes the best or only good part  part of living is that I'm not using cocaine and don't even think about it.       It was using cocaine that got me this hep c
Type 1
Dx'd 1995

No liver damage
Started Epclusa 2/6/19

Offline slats1056

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2018, 08:21:49 am »
   I am having a little trouble with the link that DANTON supplied but there is a ton of info. there!!            DRAGONSLAYER( Paul)  I thought that Oxford study had a lot of info. & was an interesting read as well.            TYPE O Hit the nail on the head Big time. Not pessimistic at all. I would say realistic. More along the lines of this---- Three people are discussing the definitions of PESSIMISM-OPTIMISM-& REALISM!!! While the first two are explaining the differences of a glass of water on the table being half empty or half full , the realist just listened to them as He drank the glass of water!!!!!  I classify myself in that category--- LOL!           MUGWUMP  No offense taken at all, the stress , doubts , insecurities , & short comings all come out in a wave when a crisis like this strikes. The Psyche has no choice but to turn inward  and reflect--critique--blame something--troubleshoot--rationalize things. Unfortunately not always correctly and always going into sensory overload as a way of coping and trying to deal with said crisis. Here on the Forums , calmer heads prevail & bring back to a grounded state! That being said I always look forward to the insight and thoughtfulness provided by You & others here!!!!!          LUCINDA!!!!HELLOOOOO NURSE!!!!  ROTFL :D :D ;D ;D  I took Your presciption to heart Yesterday.   I shut down electronically for a while to recharge !!  The result being that I watched a lot of Comedy/Cartoons, that is where the Nurse joke comes in, LOL!  I woke up extremely early today so its' catch up on the News and the Forums . I was reading an article by Greg Jefferys dated July 28,2016 titled THE R WORD:THE SAD REALITY OF RELAPSE (Great title I must say!) It mentions Magnesium , which was a supplement I took regularly BEFORE Tx. and AFTER SVR12.  Was just wondering if any residual from before Tx. or re-starting post tx. could have any co-relation to relapse/Harvoni?????  I stopped ALL supplements and vitamins before starting Tx. by about two weeks. I also am a regular coffee drinker , 3-5 mugs in the morning! Was told by the Doc that he saw no problem , just in case check with the Specialty Pharmacy Rep. for My Rx. and was given the thumbs up to go ahead. Just two minor thing that popped up while thinking about relapse. TIME FOR ANOTHER CUP OF JOE FOLKS :) :)  Later! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline slats1056

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2018, 08:57:01 am »
  Dandy , I can totally relate in spades :-[ .  First and foremost take care of Yourself, if You don't , no one else will. Try to be truthful and patient to and with Yourself. As far as Your partner , You can't control them or what they do. All You can do is try to communicate to the best of Your ability with out compromising Your own integrity and seek help if needed.  Stick around and check things out. Lots of info. & insight into before , during , and after treatment. A veritable Cornucopia of reference here. Take some time to look around and PLEASE don't dwell on the negatives ( a lot of them are mine , LMFAO! ) embrace the positives, a lot of us vent and rant at times but, there is a lot of spirited discussions that point out the unknowns and prompt new info. as well 8)   Good Luck and Good Health!
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline slats1056

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2018, 05:14:23 pm »
 I have been wondering all weekend why testing is not recommended strongly for SVR12, 24, 48 and at least yearly there after! I am thinking maybe it is a cost issue for the Insurance Companies! ::) ??? :o   Just got finished reading up on Vosevi and Mavyret on the website  www.hcvguidelines.org dated August 18, 2018. Looks very promising as You guys said. A little peace of mind at least. Now to wait for a new set a Labs for verification and all pertinent info. to find out what comes next! :P :-\ :-X ::)
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2018, 06:15:15 pm »
I have been wondering all weekend why testing is not recommended strongly for SVR12, 24, 48 and at least yearly there after! I am thinking maybe it is a cost issue for the Insurance Companies! ::) ??? :o   Just got finished reading up on Vosevi and Mavyret on the website  www.hcvguidelines.org dated August 18, 2018. Looks very promising as You guys said. A little peace of mind at least. Now to wait for a new set a Labs for verification and all pertinent info. to find out what comes next! :P :-\ :-X ::)

Given the  overwhelming odds (fraction of 1%) that relapse post SVR, it becomes cost ineffective to recommend it as a post treatment strategy, your case notwithstanding.  My doctor had me tested at 48 wks post, which Im glad he did.. But I was a slow responder and was detected at EOT and even 8 wks post.
Paul

DX 2008
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil

Offline danton

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2018, 07:07:28 pm »
Yes, anything that effects less than 1% pertaining to tests run medically is never recommended strongly.
Also keep in mind that the <1% is what the current research shows for after wk.12 up to weekb24. After that the numbers get infinitesimally small.

As I mentioned above in a prev post though like dragonslyers doctor did ,many are recommending
at a minimum 24 and some 48 to be sure.

However slats,look at it this way.If you had tested VL again later it would still not have  changed the result other than you would have known before now and that may have made your anxiety about relapse even worse.

What I mean by that is there is 2 salvage treatments available(Vosevi & Mav) but have only been on the market for about 11 months.

So if you tested at say week 24 and found relapse you would have had to wait 2 years to treat anyway with all the anxiety and worry about if they were going to come up with a good salvage regime

As I mentioned prev. there were a total of 75 1b patients in the Polaris Trial that had failed Harvoni and  a few other regimes with an NS5a in it and the success was 100%.(one pill a day 12 weeks and with no real side effects of note.)

You will do great.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:09:40 pm by danton »

Offline danton

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2018, 07:17:49 pm »
Also , you mentioned your new gastro may scedule a biopsy??
I don’t know why you would have to do that as they are not performed much these days and it would not change the regime anyway. Vosevi had the same results regardless of damage including chirrotics.

Offline danton

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2018, 07:18:23 pm »
Also , you mentioned your new gastro may scedule a biopsy??
I don’t know why you would have to do that as they are not performed much these days and it would not change the regime anyway. Vosevi had the same results regardless of damage including chirrotics.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2018, 01:13:51 pm »
I wrote this because of my experience here. Thank you everyone! https://www.hepmag.com/blog/passionate-hepatitis-c-support-groups
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2018, 04:03:22 pm »
Nice article very heartfelt Lucinda.

You could visit us more lol :)

Your guidance and wisdom are always appreciated
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2018, 04:09:09 pm »
Thanks Lynn. Truth be told, I visit regularly, but you all have such good response, there isn't much to add! So, I just sit back and feel appreciative.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline I fightis thetitis

« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2018, 05:40:58 am »
Hey Slats,

Hang in brother.. it will all get better soon.
If this is possible, and you have affordable health care, you may be able to just visti the ER and they can run a CBC and liver panel.

I was experiencing some abdominal discomfort, went to ER and explained tx ect, and was blown away at how fast they got my labs back.. 30 mins/ish and my out of pocket was only $25.00 billed later.

I understand you may already have a GI appointment, and if there is anyone else out there that might get anxious and want to know or get an immediate second opinion, the ER's is a resource and I suspect all are now set up to get results right away.
A quick call to confirm they can do it.
They may even be able to test for HCV as well..

We are pulling for you. Some amazing people and resources here.
Lucinda, Lynn and Mug always seem to have some sage wisdom.

Best always,
Greg

M59  56@start of TX. date infected:1976
diagnosed 1997 - asymtomatic
Genotype 1a
AST 111 -ALT 124 - AFP -89
Viral Load 1900000 - Log 6.28
Fibro Test F4 ActiTest A3
Harvoni 24 wks - start date 11/24/15

6 Week Labs VL Undetected!
104 weeks EOT Undetected.

8/25/17 Fibrosure score 80 = F4
11/10/17 Fibroscan 7.5 mean 1.6 m/s = F2
8/2018 Ultra sound normal.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2018, 06:40:45 pm »
I know that sometimes the ER is the best option for some, depending on the resources in their community. However, the ER is for emergencies, and there can be stiff consequences in some communities when it's used for non-emergencies. (Such as high co-pay or being put on a list, which flags you in the future, which may delay you being seen when you really need to be seen).  Although this advice is well-meaning, in this case, I don't think it is a good use of the ER.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2018, 04:27:17 am »
Thanks Lucinda,

I did not know about consequences in ER for non- emerg. I stand corrected.

Of course in my case I felt it was enough of an emerg bc with any serious ab pain plus cirrhosis, plus workouts, I may be more prone to a Variceal bleed, thus I have been told by more than one Dr. "don't be a hero..get to the ER and better safe than sorry."

I was blown away at how fast my labs came back and forgot to factor in the non emergency point for my fellow heppers.

Thank you once again for sharing.

G
Genotype 1a

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2018, 11:57:35 am »
Greg - thanks for reminding me to say that the ER is THE place to go for an emergency, and without hesitation. I've heard too many horror stories of people ignoring chest pain or other serious signs of life-threatening conditions.

One time I was on my vacation and my husband had an adrenal crisis, which is life-threatening. The person sitting next to me was there for TMJ pain. I was shocked. But I get it that she didn't have insurance and it felt like her only option. Healthcare needs fixing.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline northfork

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2018, 11:31:58 pm »
Sincerely hoping that a lab error has happened here.
Probably infected 1969. Diagnosed 2006. Genotype 1b.
Daclatasvir/ Asunaprevir 2013:relapse
Harvoni 24 weeks 2015:relapse
sofosbuvir, velpatisvir, voxillaprevir  trial started on drug 7/16. Viral load 890,000 approx. F2. Undetected after week 1.
12 week SVR achieved Jan 2017.
SVR 24 achieved April 2017 !

60 weeks post treatment...UNDETECTED!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2018, 12:03:04 pm »
Hey Tommy - my treatment buddy of 2015, the year of the Conga line! You kept us all laughing. Just reading about this now. Sending you cyber-hugs from my coast to yours! This is crazy awful news. Feeling for ya! I'm going to be following this thread for updates. But for sure - give yourself a break whenever you need to, for however long you need. You've been through so much these past 3 years.

Much love,
Kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline slats1056

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2018, 12:34:48 pm »
 Hey Guys,  Just did some work on My signature to update info. that I have found so far after digging through boxes and around the house. Scheduled appointment  9-7-18 for abdominal Ultra sound ( AFP Tumor markers up ) and new Gastro & Internist for results and new screening to see what is up with relapse as well as how to proceed from here. Also, have to have a tooth removed by dental surgeon that has some gnarly distorted roots and an abcess. Dentist said she won't even attempt it. YEA , My bad luck seems to be holding out!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o   I appreciate all of the well wishes , virtual hugs and such from all of You out there in Heplandia!  If I have any new info. or questions , I will post. If You guys have any questions or info. , fire away and I will try to answer them.
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline danton

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2018, 01:36:59 pm »
Hi slats,

Good to see you again. There are a couple of things that stick out to me on your updated sig.line. Possibly you have just mistaken the dates or mis-typed.

I see you put your EOT date was Oct.15th and then your  EOT +12 was Dec.15th.

If those dates are correct then your doctor ran the supposed SVR 12 at only 81/2 weeks,

That could be important as the research shows that the number of people studied that relapsed between week 4 and 12 was significantly higher than after week 12.

Still rare but still higher.

The second thing that stands out is that your AST &ALT are in the normal range even up till this last test almost 3 years post treatment.

As we all now those are Red Flags post treatment and if relapse has happened they usually rise(not in all cases,but most)

So ,all very odd indeed slats and glad you are going to finally get some answers in the next few days.

Good luck

Offline slats1056

« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2018, 03:07:57 pm »
 A little of both Danton , brain fart and fat fingers. If memory serves Me correctly it was eleven weeks at draw 12-30-15 and results 1-18-16 due to Holidays schedule , Lab closed , vacations , and so forth. I re-typed the dates to include MONTH-DAY-YEAR to be a little clearer, so that would make it SVR11 actually! Wish I had the presence of mind to be a little more diligent with the Labs. and requested follow up testing at 24 weeks. That was about the time that SHTF on the home front and everything went to hell in a hand basket.                                                                                             Just out of curiosity , I noticed You didn't have any info. in Your signature field. Then I noticed You were a recent member. I appreciate Your posts as well as Your concerns and attention to detail as I have a tendency to get scattered at times. Welcome to the Forums Big Guy!
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline Steve76

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2018, 07:53:51 pm »
Steve76 here again slats. You also mentioned your AFP levels are elevated. Your signature information has your AFP at 6.3 which is in the normal range. I think you need a new clinic and care providers,  something sounds off in my opinion.

Possibly your AFP #s are higher than your earlier ones? Still it is within the normal range. Your enzyme levels are normal as you know. Something is off here.

Personally I would have gone and gotten a second opinion immediately after receiving the report

Good luck!

Offline slats1056

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2018, 09:03:58 am »
 Hey Steve,                                                                                                               Yea , My AFP markers are elevated compared to previous tests , but still under 10 which is the normal range. Since the anamolies that are present as well as some tenderness in the liver and some abdominal discomfort I am having more testing done. Internist is interested in finding out why all indicators are in the normal range , but the Quantifiable viral load is present. Trying to rule out any errors , false positives , ETC.!  Next week I go to My new Gastro who would probably want an ultrasound done anyway. He will do the second opinion as well as the screening for what will be done this time around for treatment should it be required.                                                                                                                                                                             
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline slats1056

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2018, 09:15:39 am »
   BTW , I have used this lab and the one at the Hospital for many years and have not had any problems to date! With the exception of one set of Labs lost at the Hospital that had to be redone during treatment in 2015. Everyone is trying to figure out cause of possible relapse including ERRORS , and or HOW I was re-infected. Definitely as Jig Saw puzzle of large proportions.                                                                                   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) THE WAITING GAME BEGINS.
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline slats1056

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2018, 12:15:35 am »
 Hello My Forum Family!
    Got a call from My internist today , Abdominal ultra sound looks good. Liver and all looks normal with no anomalies or question marks with the exception of gall stones , which have been there for years.
   Went to the new Gastro. this afternoon. Asked him about testing for Cryoglobulinemia and He was not concerned at all. Didn't see anything that warranted testing. Went through all the possibilities for a re-infection with him. His only concern was maybe a family member connection. My oldest daughter has been out of the household for years , so I am going to have the two younger ones tested in the near future. In the mean time remove any possibility of household items that could be a source of the virus just in case. Completely eradicating as many variables as possible. The topic of the separated spouse came up as well , no contact for several years. So that is pretty much ruled out. Still will ask her to get tested as a precaution.
     Got orders for blood tests--A,B,C,Genotype,Fibrosure , ETC.  Medical assistant wanted to get tests done next week , but I said screw it & had them done today. The sooner the better , and I had taken a half day off for the office visit anyway. As soon as Labs come back I go back for results and consultation about what to do going forward. Strange no one seemed worried about relapse only re-infection. But that is splitting hairs , second opinion comes back positive and will still be HCV either way You look at it!
    Doc seems to think that Mavyret fits the bill considering Profile and history with Harvoni . If all goes as I believe it will , Monday the Med. Asst. will start the ball rolling to fast track Rx. From Abbvie and the insurance company for approval as soon as needed. All that remains will be to determine treatment duration and clear up any questions and concerns by the powers that be!
     I am stilled baffled by the turn of events as related to relapse/re-infection! If errors are ruled out and second set of labs. come back positive , I am either an exception to the rule or just one unlucky S.O.B!!! The thought just crossed My mind that maybe it is both judging by My track record. LOL. I will be doing research on Abbvies Mavyret clinical trials info. and any related info. that I can find. I am still stressed as shit what with all that is going on , but I seem to have settled down a bit and realize that life still goes on. I can not control what happens ,but can influence the outcome by My actions and reactions to all that surround Me!
    I will be in touch with any new info. as it emerges. Thanx again to My Forum friends and family who I can count on unconditionally in this screwed up tragic comedy that is life! :) ;) 8) ::) :P :-X :-\   

Tommy
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2018, 12:24:58 am »
That's great that your doctor is on it and attending to things promptly, Tommy! Still pretty baffling - the relapse or re-infection question. But at least it is fixable. Thanks for updating us! I look forward to your next news.

kim
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2018, 06:58:08 pm »
Thanks for letting us know. This has been quite the ride!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Mike

« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2018, 06:48:09 pm »
Hang in there Slats. I know this setback is disappointing. The good news is that you have an excellent medical team and you have treatment options that will help you clear the virus.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline slats1056

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2018, 07:49:26 pm »
  Hello Guys,
     Thanx Kim,Lucinda, & Mike! The waiting game begins yet again! LOL ;D  As I interpret the info. concerning Mavyret , I should probably be approved for 16 weeks Rx. for My genotype and previous Tx. with Harvoni. I just wish I had some test results at 24 weeks and after to determine possibility of relapse. Other than getting the kids tested for possibility of reinfection , all other possibilities have been ruled out at this point. Still can't come up with anything pertaining to the flood from Hurricane Harvey and its' aftermath , but that time period is all a blur. I suspect it was around October or November of 2017 as I was getting really run down after working 11-12 hour days and going to the house and working for several hours. I was understandably stressed out big time as well as overworking myself to the Max.  It was around then that I noticed the old symptoms , but wrote them off to all that was going on and ignored them. All of the other B.S. going on in My life didn't help either! LMFAO! ::) Never have been much for Doctors , But knew that I needed to get checked out and get back on BP Meds. as well as liver panel done due to History and advancing age. Look pretty good on the outside for being 62 next week :P , I can only imagine what the insides look like as I put them through hell in My younger days. :D :D :D Whats' the old saying---IF I KNEW I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF ;) ROTFL ;D.

Well here We go again , hurry up and wait. It is just a little rough with legal , dental ,medical , inventory at work , working on the house , and all the regular housework and yard work that still has to be done! Did I miss anything??? Probably so but , it ain't gonna get done by itself. Somebody has to be the designated MF'er and it usually is Me :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thanx Again Guys! I will check back in later!

Tommy.

P.S.  Blood pressure is through the roof , and still have severe tinnitus as well as joint pains big time since Harvoni treatment . No Meds. other than for dental work and BP. Rx. Still taking My supplements and trying to eat and stay as healthy as possible. Haven't been able to kick the smoking habit , but have them down to 2-3 packs a week compared to 2-3 packs a day prior to treatment.

7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline danton

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2018, 10:00:52 am »
Hi slats,

Glad to see you have been re-tested and will finally see what is going on.

Mavyret had excellent results in trials ,as you most likely have looked up by now and is also having great results when prescribed clinically.

It is being prescribed now for relapsers as well as treatment naives. The only difference is duration.
As you mentioned it is 16 weeks for relapsers and interesting for those without chirrosis and naive usually only 8 weeks.

Still holding out hope for you this was a lab error,however in the worst case scenario and you either have relapsed or been re-infected your chances of success are beyond excellent.

Good luck

Offline jakas

« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2018, 03:45:22 am »
This is so so scary :-[
M/57 yrs.
Contracted (Unknown) 10-20-30 yrs back ??
Treatment Naive
Geno 1a&1b
VL  17+ million
ALT 200+, AST 170+
Fibroscan F4 ( 26+ kpa ) on 8th Dec. 2105
Started Tx 11th Dec.2015 ( 12 wks. Gilead Harvoni)
7/1/2016 :Viral Load|<25 UND.
23/1/2016: ALT 34 , AST 35, ALP 143
8 week NO labs done
EOT:03.03.2016 ( 84 pills eaten )
ALT 26, ALP 124, BIL .54
V/L <25 UND E.O.T.
4 weeks E.O.T. V/L UND::: SVR 4
SVR 12 and  SVR 24 on 16/8/16
Fibro 24.5kpa 23/05/16
SVR 63 05/17
Fibro 17.03.2020 kpa 6.3

Offline slats1056

« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2018, 11:01:18 pm »
  Got a letter and a call from new Gastro. to come in for consultation. Med. Assistant will call in the next week about delivery of Mavyret from Abbvie and set up a schedule of routine testing during treatment. She said she would give Me hard copies of the Labs then! Was told it will be 16 week Rx. for Me. Soooooo----have not seen it in person , but it looks like relapse has been confirmed!!!! Still need to get the kids tested to ease My mind as it is still going 90 miles an hour.  Urologist Dr. says all is good. Blood pressure still through the roof but, slowly dropping as Meds. stabilize in My system. As soon as the hard copy is in My hands I will post the stats.
  Well!!!! Here I go again Kiddos!!! I don't suppose there are any relapsers out there that will be My treatment buddies????? I hope not!!!LMFAO!
  Will get back to You guys soon , as I still have a butt load of Dental and Legal stuff going on at the moment as well as work!

Good Health To all of You Good People out there in Heplandia!! ;)
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2018, 12:43:24 am »
Hey there Tommy,

When you get your labs back, if the geno type is any other type then 1b, that would confirm re infection. A 1b on your labs would suggest or indicate relapse. Correct?

I have not heard of another who has relapsed after such a long viral hiatus. Was it almost 3 years?

This is a speculative question for the us trying too figure this odd occurence out, I wonder if having a high or low HCV antibody count could be a factor in relapse??

Pulling for you mate!

Greg
Genotype 1a

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2018, 01:03:09 am »
Thanks for the update Tommy! I've been thinking of you. You have sure been through a lot. At least treatment is nearly starting.

Kim

Offline slats1056

« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2018, 10:54:28 am »
  Hey Greg,
      Not a medical professional by any means. However , another genotype would mean another infection (doubtful, no known reasons or causes that are evident) or a dual infection as I understand it.  Reinfection has pretty much been ruled out with the exception of getting My two adult kids tested (reinfection by a family member). There is a slim chance , but a chance none the less, so I am having them tested. The only wild card is the Flood from hurricane Harvey last year , and nobody can come up with any co-relation to HCV. I have about a year gap in My labs from August 2017 to August 2018 for several reasons. Gastro. Doc retired , dealing with the flood , repairing the house , family problems, ETC. , ETC.  ::)  I think it is about 2 years & 8 months more or less.
   Still checking around about long term SVR relapsers , but not much info out there! I get the feeling that ALL the medical community that I am dealing with want to pin this on re-infection on My part rather than a re-lapse , which is a load of B.S. and I know it. That is all that matters besides getting re-treated. :( :-\ ??? :o >:(

Hey Kim,
   Waiting on the call and researching Mavyret. Hope all is good with You north of the border!

HAS ANYONE RUN ACROSS ANYONE OR HAVE ANY INFO. OR STATS ON PEOPLE THAT ACHIEVED SVR FOR 12 OR MORE MONTHS AND RELAPSED?

7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline Mugwump

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2018, 08:08:00 pm »
Slats; it would be just plain asinine IMO: if they do not consider that you may never have cleared the virus with 12 weeks of Harvoni plain and simple.

What is most concerning here, (I take it), is that you have retested positive for 1b and are being retreated for 1b. It is genotype 1a that has the NS5A resistance variant failure problems with 12 week of Harvoni treatment for those without prior treatment and cirrhosis. Certainly not those with genotype 1b and no previous history of treatment or cirrhosis.
What is also interesting and baffling, is that your liver function currently seem almost normal. It could very well be that knocking back the virus in your case with a DAA treatment brought the infection levels down to where your immune system is keeping it almost completely in check. It is known that some people go on to never develop problems or cirrhosis with HCV and live their entire life without knowing that they ever had the infection.
Either way getting retreated is still the best option, because knowing that you can never infect anyone accidentally with this POS disease is priceless :) :) . For me not instantly worrying about cleaning up every little drip from a cut or a stick from a fish hook was worth the price of admission.
Eric

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2018, 10:51:27 pm »
For me I was probably infected in 1978 but my liver enzymes were normal until 1990.

I know they were normal when I left the Army in 1988 and a year later in early 1989 I had a physical at a civilian doctor and my liver enzymes were normal then also. But when I donated blood in the fall of 1990 I learned I had elevated liver enzymes and had tested positive for hep c antibodies.

I am reasonably confident about when I contracted hep c.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline jakas

« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2018, 10:06:39 am »
HAS ANYONE RUN ACROSS ANYONE OR HAVE ANY INFO. OR STATS ON PEOPLE THAT ACHIEVED SVR FOR 12 OR MORE MONTHS AND RELAPSED?

No I have not heard of it anywhere you are the first. I had genotype 1a and 1b.
Harvoni for 12 weeks.
Tested at 4 weeks after treatment negative, 12 weeks tested negative, 24 weeks tested negative and 63 weeks E.O.T. negative. After 24 weeks the doc said relapse ruled out.
Thus your case is the first, I know of. I just cant figure out it was was the testing they did or how you relapsed. Following this thread very closely now. Please keep us updated.
M/57 yrs.
Contracted (Unknown) 10-20-30 yrs back ??
Treatment Naive
Geno 1a&1b
VL  17+ million
ALT 200+, AST 170+
Fibroscan F4 ( 26+ kpa ) on 8th Dec. 2105
Started Tx 11th Dec.2015 ( 12 wks. Gilead Harvoni)
7/1/2016 :Viral Load|<25 UND.
23/1/2016: ALT 34 , AST 35, ALP 143
8 week NO labs done
EOT:03.03.2016 ( 84 pills eaten )
ALT 26, ALP 124, BIL .54
V/L <25 UND E.O.T.
4 weeks E.O.T. V/L UND::: SVR 4
SVR 12 and  SVR 24 on 16/8/16
Fibro 24.5kpa 23/05/16
SVR 63 05/17
Fibro 17.03.2020 kpa 6.3

Offline slats1056

« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2018, 11:04:41 pm »
  Well , it looks like I will have to revert back to the on treatment threads in a couple of days. Still don't have my labs in hand. But the powers that be (BCBS, Prime  Theraputics , Gastro ,the pharmacy, and Abbvie) deemed it necessary to fast track Me to retreatment A.S.A.P! Got calls and letters from all but the Gastro today. I am sure that call will come tomorrow. I am totally baffled by the lack of concern by them as to why I am one of the very few to be Genotype 1b , treatment naive , no cirrohsis to have relapsed after 12 week Tx. with Harvoni. Makes Me wonder if it is the Big Pharma grab or if there is a true concern for My case. From the insurance stand point it is cheaper than a transplant or cancer for sure. Apparently that is up to Gilead since they produce Harvoni.  Seems to Me that there would be a little more interest as to what went wrong. But I guess it doesn't matter to them that this is a rather costly SNAFU for Me , and that I have to do it again no matter what.  Makes Ya wonder don't it?? ??? ::) :P :-\ :o Just hope I can keep on working as I am still dealing with some after effects of the first Tx. Here is hoping that I don't have as rough a go of it with Mavyret as I did with Harvoni !!!!!!!!

OH WELL , IT IS BETTER TO BE BROKE AND ALIVE THAN RICH AND DEAD I GUESS.

Here is to all of My friends that are out there around the world , and to all the new ones yet to be met here in the wonderful world that is Heplandia!
  As soon as I get those pesky labs in hand I will post again. But by that time I will probably Have the new Rx. in hand. LMFAO

HERE IS ONE GUYS---WHEN I PROMISE TO COME UP WITH AN ORGAN TRANSPLANT PUN-----I DE-LIVER!!!!!  Later guys and gals!
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2018, 09:53:10 pm »
Ditto on what Eric said. As for using genotype testing to see if this is a new infection, reinfection, or return of old infection, given what we know, it is most likely to be that you didn't have a durable SVR in the first place, even if the genotype is different. Although your situation is rare, it does happen. Multiple genotypes also occur.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline slats1056

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2018, 09:37:26 pm »
   Hopefully this works! Lab reports follow if it does. Mavyret RX. for 16 weeks in hand,start 10-29-18. On treatment Lab schedule set up. Recommended taking Meds with a full meal (breakfast or lunch suggested) or possible upset stomach and nausea will result. Suggest not taking at nite with dinner. Labs scheduled (CBC) at 2,4,8,12 & 16 weeks, Viral load week 4 & 16. EOT 2-11-19. Follow up labs scheduled for 4,12, & 24 weeks post treatment with viral load check.
  The medical assistant assigned to Me said Doc is & has been treating multiple relapse cases (not sure of how many) , 4 of which were on Harvoni , all of which are assigned to her. Apparently I am the first 16 week treatment patient of the 4. Well---Here We go boys and girls, buckle up and get comfortable for the ride, no sides expected or indicated. We shall see!! :o ??? ::) :P :-\

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fHRbWEruUuS0hc9HivEB0LEsQUJ0CDU6
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline slats1056

« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2018, 10:04:15 pm »
 All indications are pointing to relapse, no known indicators for re-infection . Same genotype 1b now for re-treatment with Mavyret as three years ago when treated with Harvoni. the only possible scenario for re-infection is by family member & they are getting tested to rule out that and give Me some peace of mind.  At this point everyone seems to think the question of relapse is a moot point. No matter , I have the Rx. for re-treatment none the less!! At this point My best guess as to Harvoni relapsers in My situation is less than two dozen. Oh well, Life is a bitch then You treat  and repeat until cured ,right? ;)
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2018, 11:16:33 pm »
Well forward progress anyway

Best of luck and kick butt!
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline danton

« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2018, 02:17:48 pm »
Hi slats,

Been following your thread here and happy to hear you are getting started on your re-treatment.
It really is a moot point (interms of your upcoming treatment) to you and your doctors on whether or not you have relapsed or been re-infected, as Mavyret for 16 weeks is the right treatment for 1b relapse and it certainly would be appropriate for a new infection (although the duration of 16 weeks for a new infection might be a tad overkill)

If it was me ,I would rather overtreat than undertreat

There have been thousands that re-lapsed on Harvoni slats,however as we were all discussing earlier on this thread awhile ago ,having relapsed as late as you did has been proven by data to be somewhat a rarer occurence.

Best of luck with your treatment slats!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2018, 04:39:51 pm »
All looks good - go kill the beast!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline slats1056

« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2018, 08:10:38 pm »
 Hey Lynn,
   Progress is right! One foot in front of the other. Keep on Truckin' , right?

Danton, Whats' up?
    Been a while. Yeah , You Guys are right. Can't dwell on the bad stuff or the B.S. , it just holds You back right. New day , new treatment! Bring it on ;D  Still it bugs Me a little about the later than normal relapse. Hoping to breeze through Tx. without any glitches or problems. While I was typing this , a nurse representative from Abbvie called. Said she will be following for the duration of Tx. to after Tx. So , at least I will be inputing info. to them as opposed to the cattle call that was Harvoni. :)

Lucinda,
   Yes the beast must die, here is hoping that this is the magic sword needed for the task. ;) BTW, has anyone ever told You that You have an infectious SMILE ;D ;D ;D?

Thanks to all of You guys , now I can try to relax a little and rest My little ol' pea brain, as well as get some rest.
  I guess protocol dictates moving back to the on treatment side again when I get started next week.

Thanx again all of You guys are great and I am lucky to have all of You in My corner. :) ;)

7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline Mugwump

« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2018, 09:10:10 pm »
More speculation here Slats on why you may have relapsed late: but the little bird of logic that mister Spock once alluded to has spoken in my ear on one possible cause of your treatment failure with Harvoni.

It is very possible that the ledipasvir component in Harvoni is part of the equation here for some unlucky individuals.

It is know to be ingested and metabolized differently. Perhaps some people with a slightly less acidic digestive system during treatment for some reason or other, might not receive the necessary effects of a full Harvoni treatment as prescribed.

I am 3 years free from detectable HCV thus there has been no sign of the virus in me for a full three years. But I had the full 24 weeks of Harvoni thank heavens.

Either way Michael Sofia should be awarded a Nobel prize for not listening to all the detractors and naysayers in the drug industry, thus brilliantly showing the way to deliver anti-virals directly to hepatocytes and giving us the chance at freedom from HCV.
However when it comes to your Mayvret treatment and those little pieces of less than living RNA eating away at your liver Slats: as John Wayne said as he led the parachute brigade to Sainte-Mère-Église on the D Day drop... Send em to hell!!  When I was on treatment EVERY TIME I had to take a crap or piddle (which was just about every 2hrs during the second week!) this is exactly what I imagined doing to the inert HCV rna and dead liver cell by products going down the shitter. >:( >:( >:( >:( then ah what a relief it is!!!
Whether or not my imaginative aggressive murder of HCV encapsulated rna did any good is moot. It sure helped with not having to take a laxative or eat a butt tonne of prunes during treatment though. Only draw back is that my grunts and groans and at times machine gun butt shots might have seemed a little extreme for my wife and our cats. Both of whom very wisely stayed away from me while I was on the crapper during the time I was on treatment!
Cheers
Eric 

Offline danton

« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2018, 04:30:10 pm »
Hi slats,

You said:
" Recommended taking Meds with a full meal (breakfast or lunch suggested) or possible upset stomach and nausea will result."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Make sure you do take this with a full" moderate to low fat meal".

Not just because you may have some nausea or stomach upset but because the prescribing info from data taken in study showed that the absorbtion of this drug is quite" significantly" reduced if not done so.

The reason I mention this slats and hopfully your doctor did also ,is you certainly would not want to take it without food  just because you were feeling no stomach upset.

It can make a difference and the second time around you want to make sure you give yourself ALL the advantage.

Good luck!

Offline slats1056

« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2018, 09:24:24 am »
ATTENTION ALL MAVENS AND ADMIRERS OF SVR AND VANQUISHING THE DRAGON!
From here on out I will be posting in the On treatment category under Mavyret Treating the relapse.
 Of course I will return with updates as Tx. progresses over the next 16 weeks. Here is to all of My friends and Tx. buddies out there. Just took My first dose and hoping for the best! BACK ON THE CRAZY TRAIN BOYS AND GIRLS ;D ;D ;D

How do You tell the difference between oral and rectal thermometers????  BY THE TASTE! :) Later guys!
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline slats1056

« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2018, 08:04:41 pm »
  Just getting settled down after 1st day of Tx. and doing some thinking. Learned alot about self advocacy here in the past , and something just dawned on Me! It was I who brought it to the attention of the Med. Asst. that in My case Tx. called for 16 weeks Rx. not 12 weeks. :o ??? Apparently I did learn something from You guys after all. ;D ;D ;D
  Still trying to find any studies that pertain to My situation ( post SVR12 to 2-3 years, for Harvoni Tx. that are at least semi-current-like 2015 to present ) Have not found any info. or ongoing studies.
  If any of You have any info. or find anything , please drop Me a line on the Forum or by PM. Also , have e-mail available if needed.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GENERAL PRACTITIONER AND A SPECIALIST????? ONE TREATS WHAT YOU HAVE, THE OTHER THINKS YOU HAVE WHAT HE TREATS! ;D
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2018, 12:49:51 pm »
 :) :) :)
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline slats1056

« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2018, 11:20:17 am »
  Good Morning Everyone,

Have 2 out of three family members tested for My peace of mind and to eliminate possible causes of re-infection as opposed to relapse. One has come back negative and one is awaiting test results. The third is yet to be tested , that will come in the near future. Still have not come up with any causes for re-infection as of yet.
   Tomorrow will be end of week three of sixteen on Mavyret Tx. , going in Monday to pick up second four weeks Rx. from Docs' office. So far , knock wood , Tx. has been rather anticlimactic as far as to side effects. A few headaches , upset stomach , and some joint pain that has worsened a little. All manageable with Advil and visits to Chiropractor and massage therapist. I have noticed a little bit of a feeling of being spaced out at times (not at all like brain fog) and forgetfulness. But as the keep telling Me -- You are getting old after all-- LOL , thanks for the reminder. I was trying to forget that!! ;D All in all , Tx. is going good. Just had blood wok done at two weeks to make sure all is O.K. with the Meds. not causing any problems as far as body functions. Go in for blood draw at the end of week four for full Hepatic panel and viral load check.

ME? CRAZY? I SHOULD GET DOWN OFF OF THIS UNICORN AND SLAP YOU!

7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2018, 12:25:10 pm »
Glad the treatment if going well!

kim

Offline slats1056

« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2018, 10:12:17 pm »
 Hey Everybody,

Just thought I would check in. Just finished week four on Mavyret and went for My blood draw today. Everything seems to be going well with only minor Sxs. so far. Keeping My fingers crossed for the next twelve weeks of Tx.  Still working on eliminating relapse scenario of possible reinfection by family member. My ex has been cleared , one kid waiting on Lab results and one yet to be tested. Everything else has been ruled out. Hope everyone is doing well.

Tommy

WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG IN YOUR LIFE , JUST YELL "PLOT TWIST" AND MOVE ON.
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2018, 11:05:54 am »
Hi Tommy,
I really appreciate you checking in as you've been on my mind. Also, I love your 'plot twist' tag line - I'm going to try that.
Hope there aren't any more plot twists in your life for awhile!
Peace,
Lucinda
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline slats1056

« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2018, 07:12:39 pm »
 Hi there Lucinda!,
  Thanx for thinking about Me. It is truly a rare occurrence when total strangers are concerned with Your well being. You my dear are an anamoly and a treasure to boot! ;) Been doing pretty good and settling into Tx., waiting on four week Lab results. Go in Tuesday to the Gastro.  Set up My patient portal Friday but, no info. posted as of this afternoon.
  I hear You about the plot twist , had more than My share lately! :o ::) >:( BTW, It has been a long time since I have been PEACED ON!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D LMFAO! Hope You are doing well, talk with You later. 8) 8) 8)

Tommy
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline slats1056

« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2018, 10:43:14 pm »
 I found a reference to SVR24 that I posted April 15, 2016. I am trying to locate Dr. notes and lab results to verify it!
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2018, 05:20:54 pm »
That may be quite helpful Tommy. Thanks for your persistence!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline slats1056

« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2018, 07:25:45 pm »
  Got test results back for My son, NEGATIVE for HCV! That makes two out of three family members testing negative ( My ex. and my son ) Daughter will be tested after the first of the year due to work schedule and travel. So far that is a big load off of My mind for sure!

Tommy

DEAR LIFE , I UNDERSTAND VERY CLEARLY THAT YOU ARE NOT FAIR SO YOU CAN STOP TEACHING ME THAT LESSON!
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2018, 11:38:24 am »
Sweet!!!!!!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline slats1056

« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2018, 10:53:55 pm »
  Sweeter than honey My friend, sweeter than honey!

Tommy

MY MIND IS LIKE A WEB BROWSER ,19 TABS ARE OPEN , 3 ARE FROZEN , AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE MUSIC IS COMING FROM!
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2018, 10:59:46 am »
Tommy, I am endlessly amused by your additional "insights" - this one is hilarious: "MY MIND IS LIKE A WEB BROWSER ,19 TABS ARE OPEN , 3 ARE FROZEN , AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE MUSIC IS COMING FROM!"
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2018, 01:39:51 pm »
Tommy, I am endlessly amused by your additional "insights" - this one is hilarious: "MY MIND IS LIKE A WEB BROWSER ,19 TABS ARE OPEN , 3 ARE FROZEN , AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE MUSIC IS COMING FROM!"

HAHAHAHA!  ;D ;D ;D I love that one too!

Offline slats1056

« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2018, 07:49:22 pm »
 Hello All!

Still have a gap in My records for the first half of 2016, have not been able to locate any Labs for that period. Records custodian for retired Gastro Dr. has not gotten back with Me either. Oh well , not giving up , just not pressing the issue.
 Just to let You guys know , I just started week eight of sixteen on Mavyret. Having of few issues , but nothing major. Joint pain and a sluggish brain are the worst at this point. Blood pressure meds. don't seem to be regulating things. Internist just added a diuretic to the mix. We will see how that works out.

Hey there Beto!

I see You lurking out there! I hope You are doing O.K.!  Just saw a PM alert pop up , so I am guessing that it is You. Nice to see You back in the mix Big Guy!

Tommy

I NEVER MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE TWICE! I MAKE IT THREE OR FOUR TIMES , YOU KNOW JUST TO BE SURE!
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline beto

• "no risk it, no biscuit"
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2018, 11:26:43 am »
Hey Gang...long time,

Just wow Tommy.  I got your personal note and yes I am still reeling from it.  You will get her this time around brother.  I am going to get re-tested myself because of the way I have been feeling lately which is not good.  Nice to revisit the spirit of support and see some of the old avatars continuing to keep things upbeat.  Tommy I am praying for you for what it is worth.  You are indeed a fighter and an inspiration, though that is perhaps of little consolation.  We called ourselves the class of 2015.  I recall we were all going to try to get together in Hawaii or something...that didn't happen. 

Hope everyone else are doing well.  Peace ya all...hang in there Tommy.
HCV/nonA,nonB acute phase 1975
HCV detected active 1990
HCV persistent chronic diagnosis 1995
1995 liver enzymes mild elevations
1996 Biopsy F2 fibrosis
treatment naive geno 1-A
2000-to early 2015 Viral load 150, 000 to 800, 000
recent liver enzymes before treatment alt/ast 59to209,  Fibroscan F4,cirrhosis
start tx Harvoni 7/11/2015
6.5 week-UD-ast/alt 25/25
9wk-UD-ast18 alt23
10/3/15 completed tx
11/5/15 new fibroscan f0-f1 amazed
6wk EOT UD ast/alt 20/20
12EOT-UD-ast/alt19/21
25wk-SVR! 19/18

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2018, 12:12:16 pm »
Hi Beto! I remember our plan to convene in Hawaii. Even make a documentary, if I recall! :D Love our Class of 2015 - and that fact that we're still here gabbing.

kim

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2019, 01:23:10 am »
Hey slats just wanted to share with you that I had my annual hepatologist visit and asked my doctor about taking a 4 year post treatment viral load test. I explained about your situation. She said sure thing might as well make sure things are still good.

So waiting the usual week to 10 days to hear about my results.

We did a Fibroscan also. My pre treatment Fibroscan was 27 and my one year post was 33.

Today my 4 year post result was 29. So the good news is I’m not getting worse but I don’t think I’m going to be one of the lucky ones with early cirrhosis who’s livers improve with time. But at least I’m maintaining the status quo.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline andrew j

« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2019, 04:37:15 pm »
Hopefully they'll come up with some new technology.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2019, 05:39:23 pm »
Wow got my HCV RNA test back really fast. Four years post still not detected. Yay!

I’m still ok and shouldn’t get worse unless I get HCC knock-on-wood. Of course if they come up with some meds to improve fibrosis and cirrhosis that would not hurt my feelings either.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:19:24 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline andrew j

« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2019, 05:43:32 pm »
For sure, Lynn!

Offline slats1056

« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2019, 08:05:53 pm »
 Wow Lynn,
   Good news is an understatement! Yay indeed . Good call on the request for HCV PCR RNA testing. I think everyone that can afford it should have follow up testing the same as with Colonoscopies , Endoscopies , etc. just to be on the safe side. If they can't afford it there should be a way to subsidize it . I have not had a fibroscan to date . Here is hoping that Yours will improve as time goes by.Like You said , at least it isn't getting worse! That was some quick lab work by the way! Happy for You .

Tommy

IF DOROTHY CAN CLICK HER HEELS TOGETHER AND GET TO KANSAS , HOW COME I CAN'T CLICK MY FLIP FLOPS AND GET TO THE BEACH? ???
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2019, 10:44:42 pm »
Yeah I’m fortunate to have good insurance. I have my colonoscopies every five years (history of polyps family and myself) and having my biennial upper endoscopy this Friday. Along with my biannual abdominal ultrasounds and blood testing.

Yeah I was super surprised my HCV RNA got back so fast it was a 24 hour turn around I was shocked. Guess it helps to be tested at the UW Seattle liver department

Wishing all the best!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:46:51 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Pepperann

« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2019, 09:48:57 pm »
Well dang,
I successfully completed a 12 week treatment of Epclusa for genotype 3a february 2017. I have been dealing with up and down fatigue for the last 10 years. I have a lot of energy naturally so it was hard to differentiate the hep c, menopause, (58 yr old female)etc., and I decided after having issues with the thyroid to try and get to the bottom of why after having perfect numbers with the liver why I was feeling like shxx.
After reading that Epstein Barr can be the root problem for thyroid issues I decided to get tested for Lyme's disease and Epstein Barr. Well not only were my numbers off the chart for epstein barr but I tested high for the hepatitis c antibody. I am taking valacyclovir 3x a day for 60 days. I am writing because I think anyone that is going into treatment for hepatitis C should also be screened for epstein barr & Lymes disease. 90-95% people carry the virus due to mononucleosis the kissing virus you got back in school. I never had mono but did have strep throat. (same thing).
Does anyone else have experience with this? My Naturopathic Dr which works east & western med. will test me for hep c in 30 days due to the reactivated Epstein Barr can cause false readings for Hep C & H.i.v.. Epstein Barr is what they call the virus that was originally called mononucleosis that is a reactivated viral infection in the body with quantitative antibodies showing up in test. Most people ward it off until the immune system is compromised. Like chicken pox & shingles.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:54:42 pm by Pepperann »
Female 58 yrs
Contracted 1985
Geno 3a
Viral load 2million
Alt 55
Oct 30th, 2016 (Epclusa start date)

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2019, 10:14:44 pm »
Sorry about your health issues that sounds rough :(

Just wanted to add that anyone who has had hep c in the past even if cured will always test positive for hepatitis C antibodies. They are not the virus antibodies are your bodies defense mechanism they are made by your own body when trying to fight an invading virus.

We will always and forever test positive for hepatitis c antibodies as long as we don’t test positive for the virus on the HCV RNA by PCR test we are still free of the virus. There is no reason to have hep c antibody testing done the result is known.

The only thing that would cause a detected result on the HCV RNA test to have a viral load would be a post treatment relapse, which is very rare, or a whole new infection.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:25:01 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline slats1056

« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2019, 12:34:48 pm »
 NEWS FLASH!!! My sixteen week re-treatment with Mavyret is officially done! Took My last dose this morning. Will be updating with lab result at 4,12, & 24 weeks post Tx. as they become available! Hope everyone is doing well. Heplandia is a great place to celebrate small miracles . I am glad to have such an extended family even though I have never met any of You personally ! You guys are great! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The unofficial Jester of Heplandia,
                                              Slats
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2019, 02:25:09 pm »
I think we should make your title official, Jester.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.