Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:35:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Starting Harvoni tomorrow, a bit nervous.  (Read 8722 times)

Offline robeson

Starting Harvoni tomorrow, a bit nervous.
« on: October 05, 2018, 04:04:19 pm »
I was diagnosed with hep c a few weeks ago. I had been feeling "weird" and "tired" on and off for a year or two now, and had elevated liver enzymes. I suppose the strange and tired feeling has been hep c this entire time. I've just received Harvoni today, and it's weird because upon actually getting it into my hands, the reality of it has hit me like a brick wall. Going to start tomorrow morning, so I can continually take it at the same time everyday. I just thought I'd make this topic to see how other people are doing, and if anyone has any encouraging words for me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Starting Harvoni tomorrow, a bit nervous.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 04:32:08 pm »
Congratulations! I think most of us have a bit of anxiety before taking any new medication, especially this one. And then there are the questions, such as, "Will it work? Will I have side effects? and so on.

And for some of us, it feels like a rite of passage. I had hep C for 25 years, and with 2 unsuccessful interferon-based treatments, I had gotten accustomed to living with this virus.

So, here is what I'd like to share: Some people feel better on treatment. I've seen it happen here and there is research to back this up. Some people don't feel better. For them, some may have some other underlying issue that we don't quite understand yet.

For me, living without an infectious virus is very liberating. Gone too are my increased risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, stroke, and all the other hep-C related co-morbidities.

As for the treatment, it was short. I was in a clinical trial using ribavirin, so I did have side effects. But in the scheme of things, it wasn't hard.

Hope to be celebrating with you. Keep in touch.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:48:28 pm »
Good luck to you robeson! You will almost certainy be cured. Harvoni has a very high (near total) success rate. I was cured with Harvoni (plus ribavirin in my case) 3 years ago. I had had Hep C for probably 45 years at that time.

I'm sure you'll do fine. Drink plenty of water. Keep us posted.

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline robeson

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 10:30:21 pm »
Thank you both for your responses! I’ll be taking it in the morning tomorrow and will post with what my experience is like. Thank you!

Offline chino1969

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 08:43:02 am »
I'm glad to hear you are starting treatment as it will be successful. I went through two prior treatments that were unsuccessful. One was very disappointing as I cleared the virus (Olysio & Solvadi) only to have the virus come back. I then began a 24 week treatment of Harvoni and have been Hep C clear since 2014. Drink plenty of water. I had zero side effects. Hope this helps and good luck.

Offline robeson

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 11:56:25 am »
Woke up with a headache today, and took the Harvoni upon waking up. My head feels a bit weird but that could just be from having a headache... other than that I haven’t really noticed anything. So far so good... I will post more as I continue with my treatment. Thanks for all the responses and kind words, I really appreciate it. The only people I’ve even told about this are one close friend and my dad, so I don’t have anyone to talk with about it really.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 12:27:21 pm »
Yeah a headache is the most common side effect. Most say keeping properly hydrated seems to help ward them off somewhat.

Best of luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline robeson

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 10:22:43 pm »
Today is my fourth day of Harvoni. And I have to say I feel downright strange. I actually feel totally full of energy.... lots of it. Sort of hard to focus, and I definitely do not feel normal. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? I feel good.. in a way.. but also feel just.. weird. A feeling that is hard to describe.. sort of surreal
in a way.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 10:49:20 pm »
Today is my fourth day of Harvoni. And I have to say I feel downright strange. I actually feel totally full of energy.... lots of it. Sort of hard to focus, and I definitely do not feel normal. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? I feel good.. in a way.. but also feel just.. weird. A feeling that is hard to describe.. sort of surreal
in a way.

You are not the only one to experience the famous "Harvoni high". Many of us on Harvoni had that. But others did not. So it varies from person to person. I was filled with energy and euphoria. It was a buzz of sorts (even though I was also becoming quite anemic from the ribavirin I had to take in tandem with it).

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 11:03:26 pm »
As Kim said this does sound like the Harvoni high. I had that experience as well. Kind of energized but a little floatie. I got used to it after a few days. It was a kinda weird feeling but at least for me not unpleasant.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline robeson

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 11:05:33 pm »
Yeah it’s isnt wholly unpleasant... it does feel sort of good but equal parts weird. I hope I get used to it. Thank you for your replies it really helps to talk to people who have been through this before.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.