Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:01:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Confused About Test Results  (Read 6743 times)

Offline MMRecord112

Confused About Test Results
« on: October 17, 2018, 03:23:53 pm »
Thank you for being such a great resource - I'm a bit concerned/confused about my testing results and was hoping to get some clarification...

I was recently tested for Hepatitis A, B, and C. Because of the resource I went through to purchase the tests (online STD-service), I was simply given the lab results with no explanation or description. I've tried to research online but haven't been able to find a response that is specific to my situation. Hepatitis A and B both came back as "non-reactive"; on the Hepatitis C results, I got a "non-reactive" under the "Hepatitis C antibody" with the signal to cut-off 0.02 (the reference range is <1.00). I've tried uploading a picture of the results but haven't had too much luck.

For clarification, the test is listed as HEPATITIS C AB W/REFL TO HCV RNA, QN, PCR

How can it be non-reactive if they recorded 0.02? Am I misreading the results? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:00:47 pm by MMRecord112 »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Confused About Test Results
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 07:40:51 pm »
Anything less than 1.00 means you don’t have hep c. Any number less than one is just noise.

You don’t have hep c antibodies so you don’t have hep c. I assume you waited at least 12 weeks after a concerning potential blood to blood contact before getting tested. Blood to blood meaning sharing of IV needles with someone who has hep c or getting a tattoo from an unlicensed tattoo parlor or some similar exposure  where there was a risk of infected blood entering your bloodstream through an open wet fresh injury.

Just to add

Edit correction: hep B is also blood borne like hep C while hep A is food borne virus involving fecal oral ingestion.
(Thanks Paul)

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hav/afaq.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hbv/bfaq.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hcv/cfaq.htm
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:02:26 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 08:46:36 pm »
Anything less than 1.00 means you don’t have hep c. Any number less than one is just noise.

You don’t have hep c antibodies so you don’t have hep c. I assume you waited at least 12 weeks after a concerning potential blood to blood contact before getting tested. Blood to blood meaning sharing of IV needles with someone who has hep c or getting a tattoo from an unlicensed tattoo parlor or some similar exposure  where there was a risk of infected blood entering your bloodstream through an open wet fresh injury.

Just to add hep A is also blood borne like hep C while hep B is food borne virus involving fecal oral ingestion.

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hav/afaq.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hbv/bfaq.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hcv/cfaq.htm

Uhm, Eeew?  Hep B from eating poop?   I think I have to beg to differ; You reversed A and B   :o ; from your link:

"Hepatitis B Transmission / Exposure

How is hepatitis B spread?
The hepatitis B virus is spread when blood, semen, or other body fluid infected with the hepatitis B virus enters the body of a person who is not infected. People can become infected with the virus from:

Birth (spread from an infected mother to her baby during birth)
Sex with an infected partner
Sharing needles, syringes, or drug preparation equipment
Sharing items such as toothbrushes, razors or medical equipment such as a glucose monitor with an infected person
Direct contact with the blood or open sores of an infected person
Exposure to blood from needlesticks or other sharp instruments of an infected person
Hepatitis B virus is not spread through food or water, sharing eating utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, hand holding, coughing, or sneezing."
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:54:15 pm by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 10:00:04 pm »
Oops my bad thanks lol  :-[

Yup hepatitis A is food borne like from a food service worker who has hep A and may not have performed adequate hand washing or contaminated water sources oral fecal transmission. Also possible sexual transmission.

Hep B blood borne yup
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline MMRecord112

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 09:41:16 am »

Thank you for your help - it is very much appreciated.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.