Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:11:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 121
Total: 121

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Seriously confused  (Read 5169 times)

Offline ionrift24

Seriously confused
« on: December 03, 2018, 06:07:01 pm »
I had an encounter with a woman a few weeks ago. Things got hot and heavy and she rubbed herself on me (privates to privates) and even inserted just a bit before I pulled out to get a cover. Apparently that blew the mood and we didn't continue any further.

Fast forward to about a week ago, and I'm terrified I may have picked something up and I get a test through STDCheck.com and I clicked the rapid response (results in 12-24 hours) box. The next day I get a positive result for Hep C with a signal to cutoff of 3.1 (HIGH). All of my other tests came back fine. This test was done by Labcorp.

While waiting for the results, I freaked out and got another test done 2 days later via Plushcare and Quest Diagnostics and decided to go with the normal wait time (which was murder on my nerves).

Low and behold! The Quest Diagnostics AB screening came back completely negative. Like not even a trace. I was elated!

But which results should I trust? I had a flu vaccine 30 days ago, could that have done something?

I'm really confused and starting to freak out again.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Seriously confused
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 06:31:15 pm »
It takes at least 12 weeks for your body to create enough antibodies against the hepatitis C virus to reach detectable levels. Hep C required blood to blood contact to be transmitted.

Bring recently immunized against any virus will have no effect on antibody testing for a different virus.

If concerned wait 12 weeks from this event band have a regular hep c antibody test at a lab not one you can buy in the store. Or better yet see your doctor for testing information and illness counseling.

But just to add I very much doubt you are at risk for hep c as it is a blood borne virus and requires hepatitis C infected blood to enter the blood stream of an uninfected person.

From the CDC Hepatitis C Questions and Answers for the Public
https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hcv/cfaq.htm

“Transmission / Exposure
How is hepatitis C spread?
Hepatitis C is usually spread when blood from a person infected with the hepatitis C virus enters the body of someone who is not infected. Today, most people become infected with the hepatitis C virus by sharing needles or other equipment to prepare or inject drugs. Before 1992, hepatitis C was also commonly spread through blood transfusions and organ transplants. After that, widespread screening of the blood supply in the United States virtually eliminated this source of infection.

People can become infected with the hepatitis C virus during such activities as:

Sharing needles, syringes, or other equipment to prepare or inject drugs
Needlestick injuries in health care settings
Being born to a mother who has hepatitis C”
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline ionrift24

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 06:40:05 pm »
Thank you VERY MUCH for your reply and for the work everyone here does to help spread information and awareness.

Is there any way to know why that first test could have come back positive? Also, would it be worthwhile to get the RNA test and if so, how long do those results take? Or am I just psyching myself out?

I apologize for all of the questions. My family has a history of liver problems and my step-dad had to go through the old-style Hep C treatment a year or so ago and it was really hard on him and the rest of the family.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 08:28:11 pm »
The new treatments became available in late 2013. I treated back in the 80’s and 90’s with the old interferon treatments. I was finally cured with my fifth treatment (Harvoni one of the new DAA meds) from Nov 2014 to May 2015. Not sure why your dad would have undergone interferon treatment as recently as a year ago. Even people newly diagnosed in like 2012 or 2013 doctors were holding off on treatment unless the person already had a lot of liver damage as the new drugs were well on their way to approval.

The new treatments are highly effective and much simpler to take as well as much better tolerated than the old interferon based treatments. So  if you should ever at some point in your life find yourself infected with hepatitis C know that today hepatitis c can easily be cured for most people.

Ok your questions

Is there any way to know why that first test could have come back positive?
Operator error, store bought test, contamination? Who knows so no not really.

Also, would it be worthwhile to get the RNA test?
If you are worried wait 12 weeks and have a laboratory level test not a store bought one. My understanding is the test costs about $30 and can be back in a couple of days unless of course your insurance is paying for your test.

Normal protocol is to only have the HCV RNA by PCR after a positive antibody test to determine if you are actually currently infected. The reason it the HCV RNA test while it will confirm current infection it also costs about $400 from what I hear and your doctor won’t prescribe this test without a positive hep c antibody test so your insurance likely won’t cover the cost.

if so, how long do those results take? The HCV RNA by PCR test takes about a week to 10 days to receive results

Or am I just psyching myself out?
Probably

Hep c is not a medical emergency it takes decades of infection for hep c to cause damage. Hep c is relatively difficult to contract and today easily cured.

My strongest suggestion is if you are worried about the risk of infection to have a proper laboratory hep c antibody test 12 weeks after this incident and then go from there.

Just wanted to add considering all that is out there in the world you should really practice safe sex. You should always use barrier protection which is more than just wearing a condom. You could for example use the material dentists use called dental dams or simple cut a condom lengthwise to use for oral sex or the situation you described of genital to genital contact.

Love your self and your partner enough to always play safe.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:40:12 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.