Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 99
Total: 99

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hepatitis C with Thyroid & or Epstein Barr co-infection  (Read 11350 times)

Offline Pepperann

Hepatitis C with Thyroid & or Epstein Barr co-infection
« on: February 16, 2019, 10:13:41 pm »
Well dang,
I successfully completed a 12 week treatment of Epclusa for genotype 3c february 2017. I have been dealing with up and down fatigue for the last 10 years. I have a lot of energy naturally so it was hard to differentiate the hep c, menopause, (58 yr old female)etc., and I decided after having issues with the thyroid to try and get to the bottom of why after having perfect numbers with the liver why I was feeling like shxx.
After reading that Epstein Barr can be the root problem for thyroid issues I decided to get tested for Lyme's disease and Epstein Barr. Well not only were my numbers off the chart for epstein barr but I tested high for the hepatitis c antibody. I am taking valacyclovir 3x a day for 60 days. I am writing because I think anyone that is going into treatment for hepatitis C should also be screened for Epstein Barr & Lymes disease. 90-95% people carry the virus due to mononucleosis the kissing virus you got back in school. I never had mono but did have strep throat. (same thing).
Does anyone else have experience with this? My Naturopathic Dr which works East & Western Med. will test me for hep c in 30 days due to the reactivated Epstein Barr can cause false readings for Hep C & or H.I.V.
Female 58 yrs
Contracted 1985
Geno 3a
Viral load 2million
Alt 55
Oct 30th, 2016 (Epclusa start date)

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Hepatitis C with Thyroid & or Epstein Barr co-infection
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:23:04 pm »
Sorry about your health issues that sounds rough :(

Just wanted to add that anyone who has had hep c in the past even if cured will always test positive for hepatitis C antibodies. They are not the virus antibodies are your bodies defense mechanism they are made by your own body when trying to fight an invading virus.

We will always and forever test positive for hepatitis c antibodies as long as we don’t test positive for the virus on the HCV RNA by PCR test we are still free of the virus. There is no reason to have hep c antibody testing done the result is known.

The only thing that would cause a detected result on the HCV RNA test to have a viral load would be a post treatment relapse, which is very rare, or a whole new infection.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Pepperann

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 10:52:03 pm »
Hi Lynn,
My HCV Antibody Hep C Virus Ab came out >11.0 High s/co ratio 0.0-0.9
Negative is <0.8 Do you know what that might mean?
Thank you
Female 58 yrs
Contracted 1985
Geno 3a
Viral load 2million
Alt 55

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 11:26:35 pm »
That means that you either now have or previously had hepatitis c in the past. Everyone who was ever infected with hepatitis c will test positive for hepatitis c antibodies for the rest of their life. We will always test positive for hep c antibodies forever there is no reason for you to have a hep c antibody test the result will always be positive.

Since you have treated and been cured that would mean you were infected with hepatitis c in the past.

I assume you had a HCV RNA by PCR (viral load) test at least 12 weeks after finishing treatment to confirm the virus was successfully eridicated to know you are cured.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:32:06 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Pepperann

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 11:51:09 pm »
Hi Lynn,
Yes I was negative 1 year later, but tested 11.0 positive high for antibodies this last week with the epstein barr raging. Could the antibodies test high for hep C but I   would still be negative for viral load and infection? it would not be from reinfection from blood transfusion etc. No risky behavior.
Female 58 yrs
Contracted 1985
Geno 3a
Viral load 2million
Alt 55

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 12:03:03 am »
All of us who were ever infected with hepatitis c will test positive for hepatitis c antibodies because we were once infected in the past. Antibodies are made by our own bodies in response to infection. Antibodies are a part of our own immune systems. They are not the virus and cannot prove you are currently infected with hep c the only way to know if you have an infection with the hepatitis c virus is to have the HCV RNA test.

Just like if you were immunized against the measles or ever were infected with the measles virus you will have measles antibodies this is how vaccines work and how our immune system protects us from future infection.

Unfortunately hepatitis c antibodies are not able to successfully beat the hep c virus otherwise we would have a vaccine for hep c but we are not there yet.

Yes we all unless reinfected will test positive for hep c antibodies forever but will test negative for the virus on the HCV RNA by PCR the viral load test. So if you had a reason to be worried you could have a risk for reinfectuon the only way to know is a HCV RNA test because we will always test positive for hepatitis C antibodies there is no way to change this.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.