Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:48:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 92
Total: 92

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New here...still trying to figure out what this all means  (Read 10474 times)

Offline Cd73

New here...still trying to figure out what this all means
« on: February 16, 2019, 11:30:11 pm »
I know I lived a high risk lifestyle for wayyyyy too many years. Was certain I have Hep C the test results have me so confused?!?
Says standard level “not detected” yet has a small viral load number and tells me I have to report to the health department...

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: New here...still trying to figure out what this all means
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 11:42:26 pm »
If you had a HCV RNA by PCR test or similar named with a result of detected and a viral load that would mean you have an infection with the hepatitis c virus and will likely need treatment.

The “standard result” is what a normal result should be.

Usually people with first have a hepatitis c antibody test and if that is positive will have a second test to confirm they are currently infected.

The next step would be to see you doctor and learn about the treatments available. The good news is there are newer treatments that were approved beginning in 2014 that are very effective at treating hep c. Most have cure rates around 98% for those who were not previously treated and do not have liver cirrhosis.

I’m sure you will have other questions so come back any time for more information and we will try our best to help.

Good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Cd73

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 11:56:53 pm »
Thank you! It just kinda blows my mind because I left the harmful lifestyle 3 years ago. I had always told my roommates not to use razors n things like that because well I always figured I had it.
AST 87             
ALT 176
Hemoglobin 16.1
Hematocrit 46.1
Neutrophils 46.1
Lymphocytes 44.2
C Reactive <1.0
Bilirubin 0.7
Standard Range hepatitis c quant v load “not detected”
Load 104,657 H
The A B and syphilis all were non reactive

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 12:15:02 am »
Normal results aren’t all that important like your HGB etc

ALT and AST which are liver enzymes are commonly slightly elevated in hep c infection and will very likely return to normal on you first on treatment test result.

They used to say just using IV drugs even once is all it takes to contract hep c. But no worries that is the past all we have is today and what we do with our tomorrows.

You will need a test to determine your genotype of hep c to know which of the new treatments will be best for your type of hep c. Kind of like there are different types of the flu like bird flu or swine flu there are different types of hep c but the names aren’t as fancy just like 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b and so on the most common in the US is 1a or 1b

You doctor may also want to do some testing to see if you have any liver damage. But hep c take a very long time to cause liver damage in general they say that after about 20 years of infection only about 20% of people will develop liver cirrhosis so very likely you won’t have any problems with that.

See your doctor and get started on the process to get treatment and get cured.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:16:39 am by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Cd73

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 01:02:43 am »
That is a relief, and I go back to see her Monday with so many questions lol
Again thank you

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.