Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:08:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 81
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sharing Intranasal Risks  (Read 7587 times)

Offline wonderer12

Sharing Intranasal Risks
« on: June 10, 2019, 04:46:14 pm »
Hi, I read this article: https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/47/7/931/430109
and was wondering what it means to have weakened nasal linings? Does this mean the nose is already bleeding/runny at the time of intransal sharing?

I think in another post, it was mentioned that a one-off snorting incident would be very very low almost non-existent risk. I'm wondering specifically if in a case where someone already did do a few lines a month prior and felt a small lesion in the nose and then only did 1 tiny line after that month, what would be the risk? Not sure how much the nasal lining can recover by then or would it matter. If someone has a runny nose at the time then it seems indicative that there is a weakened nasal lining, but if there is none including no nosebleed, then would it mean that the nasal lining has recovered and so sharing for only that 1 line would be a very small risk to not be anxious about? Definitely repeating myself a bit here so apologies in advance and thank you for your knowledge

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Sharing Intranasal Risks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:41:15 am »
Frequent users will have thin walls in their nasal linings. But even infrequent users could have a theoretical risk especially if they have an open wound inside their nasal cavity.

If concerned get tested then you will know. If worried about contracting hep c consider avoiding and discontinuing risky activities.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline wonderer12

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 02:15:21 am »
Got it, I think I read your response elsewhere where hep c can only be transferred blood-to-blood so having an open wound would make sense for the blood on a straw or whatever for intranasal activity to then transfer. How exactly is an open wound defined then? Thank you for your response

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:46:53 am »
A wet bleeding g open wound. Inside the nose it would be hard to tell. You could have a small open wound not bleeding much it wouldn’t have to be a nose bleed with lots of blood. Also the nasal lining is thin and could allow acces to the blood stream if there was blood on the straw. It’s not me rhat says blood it’s the US CDC which lists sharing snorting equipment as a potential risk.

If you share snorting equipment with someone who has hep c you should get a hep c antibody test 12 weeks after a possible exposure if you don’t know their status maybe they don’t know their status get theses then you will know

But the best way to avoid hep c is to stop activities that put you at risk.

If you continue participating in hep c risk activities you should periodically have the antibody test
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.