Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:02:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 69
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Spit in eye and sharing drinks  (Read 9349 times)

Offline Concerned guy

Spit in eye and sharing drinks
« on: June 04, 2019, 03:58:55 pm »
Hello i was hoping someone could tell me if its possible to get hepatitis b/c by taking a sip out of someone's glass if they potentially had bleeding gums or a cut in their mouth and i has chapped lips and wisdom teeth coming in. I also sometimes get bleeding gums but to the best of my knowledge my lips and gums weren't bleeding at the time. 2. Is it possible if someone had traces of blood in their saliva and they accidentally spat saliva or some food into your eye could it transmit hepatitis b/c. I have read a few things online that say you only need a trace amount of blood to become infected. On the other hand i have spoke to people over the phone that have said the person would have to have a visible amount of blood in their mouth and then spit it at me. A reply would be much appreciated thank you

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Spit in eye and sharing drinks
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 05:15:04 pm »
Very very unlikely. It's what's referred to as a theoretical risk. Could it happen? Yes, but would it happen? No. I compare it to the chances of getting struck by lightening 3 times on a clear day. Could it happen? Yes, but would it happen? No.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 02:22:54 am »
Hepatitis c infected blood must enter the blood stream of an uninfected person. The CDC says sharing drinking glasses and utensils is not a risk for hep c transmission.

So....no, not a risk. If hep c were so easily transmitted many more than about 3% of the US population would be infected. In fact, your odds of even randomly encountering someone with hep c is that same 3 percent.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Concerned guy

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 09:53:58 am »
Thank you both for the quick response much appreciated. So what i gather from this and correct me if I'm wrong is. I had no risk of hepatitis c from the spit in the eye as my eye wasn't actively bleeding so it wouldn't be able to enter my bloodstream even if there was blood in the persons saliva and they had hepatitis c and i had no risk of hepatitis c from sharing the glass as the cdc say that isn't a risk and i don't recall having any bleeding wounds that would give access to my bloodstream. However there is a theoretical risk of hepatitis b from the spit in the eye and sharing the drink. Would you recommend me getting tested for hepatitis b and if so could you tell me what the window period would be or should i just forget about the whole thing and move on thank you in advance for any and all replies

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 10:11:50 am »
“How is hepatitis B spread?
The hepatitis B virus is spread when blood, semen, or other body fluid infected with the hepatitis B virus enters the body of a person who is not infected. People can become infected with the virus from:

Birth (spread from an infected mother to her baby during birth)
Sex with an infected partner
Sharing needles, syringes, or drug preparation equipment
Sharing items such as toothbrushes, razors or medical equipment such as a glucose monitor with an infected person
Direct contact with the blood or open sores of an infected person
Exposure to blood from needlesticks or other sharp instruments of an infected person
Hepatitis B virus is not spread through food or water, sharing eating utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, hand holding, coughing, or sneezing.”

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hbv/bfaq.htm#bFAQc01
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 10:13:15 am »
I wouldn't get tested but I highly suggest hep B immunization.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Concerned guy

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 12:49:04 pm »
Thank you both again for the quick replies. I have another question about hepatitis b regarding transmission. I've seen the term 100x easier to catch than hiv on numerous sites and also on this site. Today I contacted someone from hep b positive uk and the person I spoke to told me this number was only in relation to receiving blood transfusions or things along the lines of that and that it isn't relative to contracting it during sex. This person also agreed with the advice I have received on this site that I have no reason to worry and the only reason to have a test would be for peace of mind. I plan on getting the hep b vaccine however i was told i will need to pay for it as I don't participate in any of the risk factors and Im not at an occupational risk

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 02:16:11 pm »
I don’t really see a question as it appears you were already answered by your friend in the U.K.

Best of luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Concerned guy

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 02:31:42 pm »
Yeah sorry didnt really word it well was wondering what your opinion was on how easy it is to actually contract hepatitis b and c . Just want to add Thank you Lynn k and also Iporterrn for the replies. Would just like to say from the replies I have received and from the replies i have read on other topics on the site that you's are doing a great job helping people and myself with fears that we have had and educating us all on hepatitis b/c it is much appreciated

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 04:01:00 pm »
Here is something from the US department of Health and human services.

https://www.hhs.gov/opa/reproductive-health/fact-sheets/sexually-transmitted-diseases/hepatitis-b/index.html

“Hepatitis B is more infectious than human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and can be passed through the exchange of bodily fluids, such as semen, vaginal fluids, and blood. Hepatitis B is most commonly transmitted through:

Sexual contact with an infected partner (this is the most common way adults and adolescents get the virus).
Sharing needles and syringes.
Sharing razors and toothbrushes (less common).
Childbirth, if the mother has the infection.
Hepatitis B is not spread through sharing cups and utensils, or through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, or breastfeeding.”

So basically yes hep b is more easily transmitted than HIV when you engage in the above listed activities and risks.

Also does the person even have hep b or hep c? The prevalence of either virus is relatively low in the US. Less than 3% of the population has Hep C and for hep B

“How common is hepatitis B?

Between 800,000 and 1.4 million people in the United States are living with chronic hepatitis B.“ While the current population of the United States of America is 328,919,763 so the numbers of people with hep b is a very small percentage about 0.4% so your odds of encountering someone with hep b is low.

If you have concerns get tested then you will know. If you have concerns about contracting hepB immunization will prevent you from contracting this illness. Even if you don't have coverage, getting vaccinated is much less than the cost of contracting this preventable infection. Consider it cheap insurance.

Good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Concerned guy

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 12:21:57 pm »
Thank you for the info. I don't know if the person who accidentally spat in my eye has either hep b or c as it was a stranger. All i know is they are younger than myself and I'm only in my early 20s not that is anything to go by. The 2nd person that i took a sip from their glass I later learned used to be a heroin addict however I'm unaware if he injected or smoked it or if he is hep b/c positive which is why i was concerned about sharing the drink I suppose I just have a fear of the unknown

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 02:40:24 pm »
Although you are not at risk for hep B or C from those risk factors, getting immunized against hep B would remove one of the unknowns. Never hurts to have one less fear.  :)
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Concerned guy

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 12:13:27 pm »
I'm definitely going to get the vaccine I'm also going to tell my girlfriend to get it. Here in the UK they only started giving the vaccine as part of your childhood vaccinations this year so ubless your mother had it when you were born or you are a drug user or part of the LGBT community you never got it. Think that was my main concern was potentially giving something to my partner as we've been together from our early teens. I've also never done any drugs and just panicked at the thought of getting either from something so stupid both happening in the space of 3 months of eachother. Again thank you so much for the replies and reassurance  :)

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.