Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:08:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 124
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 105
Total: 105

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Insomnia  (Read 14073 times)

Offline Sage

Insomnia
« on: June 19, 2019, 01:14:55 pm »
Rounding up my third week of Mavyret and I have nights when I can only stay asleep for an hour. Feeling stressed but I can’t put a reason to it. Yes, sometimes I am the Queen of denial, lol. I can’t say this is a side effect because I’ve had this problem for a while. It’s just increased a lot. I usually drink a little kava kava tea but I am afraid there is no way to know if it will effect the Mavyret. Any ideas?
1a
F2
Viral load 3,260,000

Thyroid Cancer
Basal Cell Cancer
Breast Cancer

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Insomnia
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 02:04:04 pm »
It's hard to say, but one thing I know about sleep is that when it gets disturbed it can be frustrating. As a recovering insomniac, I have learned a few things, and nothing has helped me as much as meditation, especially doing sleep relaxation exercises when I can't sleep. They don't always help me sleep, but they side-step the frustration and make the experience more tolerable. The Calm app has sleep stories. 10% Happier and Headspace have lots of sleep stuff - these all have free trials. There are some free sleep-related podcasts that are fun to check out.

That said, there are some big safety concerns with kava kava and the liver. I wouldn't take it even if it helped me sleep. Taken as tea may be safer, and although unlikely to interact with Mavyret, there is the inevitable problem of needing to relieve oneself of the tea, which I find interferes with my sleep.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Sage

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 04:26:21 pm »
I can use meditation to fall asleep but I wake up in an hour then after a few times of that I can’t get back sleep. I’ll try the Calm thing.
How do I find out about other herbs.
1a
F2
Viral load 3,260,000

Thyroid Cancer
Basal Cell Cancer
Breast Cancer

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 10:10:58 am »
I totally relate to the waking up thing - it's aggravating.
Melatonin appears to be safe. Valerian root has some scientific backing too - but really needs to be avoided if you have liver damage - fine to use if you don't. Magnesium can help, but if you do tale it, be sure you take it alone (with a couple of hours window between other meds) as it can interfere with other drugs.
My go to favorite is lavender aromatherapy - I spray lavender on my pillow and dab some essential oil on my wrists for an occasional whiff while I sleep. I don't think it really helps but it makes me content. 
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Becca333

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 09:15:41 pm »
I am just over 2 weeks on Eclupsa and I have a hard time sleeping. Even when I do sleep for what seems like a decent amount of time I feel like I haven't at all. Sometimes I have bursts of great energy or I am exhausted and depressed. It is either one extreme or the other. I wish I was put on Mavret and only had 8 weeks to complete instead of 12.

Offline Sage

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 02:12:06 pm »
Just got hep A B and pneumonia booster. nervous about what effects they will have mixed with mavyret.
1a
F2
Viral load 3,260,000

Thyroid Cancer
Basal Cell Cancer
Breast Cancer

Offline Becca333

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 02:14:43 pm »
My GI Dr told me not to get the hep A and hep B vaccine during treatment. I am on Epclusa. He didn't go into detail why.

Offline Sage

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 02:27:48 pm »
I guess we will see if it kills me or not.
1a
F2
Viral load 3,260,000

Thyroid Cancer
Basal Cell Cancer
Breast Cancer

Offline Becca333

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 03:31:00 pm »
I think you will be ok. Your getting boosters I was going for the first one. I wish he went more into detail why but I am  sure nothing to serious. I read that ppl have gotten it during treatment with no issues.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 04:43:09 pm »
Sage - The vaccines won't interact, and in fact, getting the vaccine while on treatment is a great idea because a) it boosts your immune system, and b) protects you from the diseases you don't want to get. It is completely normal to feel like you are coming down with something (aches, chills, fatigue, etc) for 1 to 2 days after the vaccine. That is your immune system responding and it is a good thing although it feels lousy.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Sage

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 11:59:38 am »
I went to the beach and slept well. Came home and slept too much for a few days and now heading back towards insomnia. I’m not sure I will get answers to this question or if I should even ask. I live with a functional addict who smokes meth. They never do it around me but they do it in the shop which is attached to the house and heating system. Could I be effected by this?
1a
F2
Viral load 3,260,000

Thyroid Cancer
Basal Cell Cancer
Breast Cancer

Offline andrew j

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 10:03:47 pm »
Hi Sage,

Two things:

1) I don't think the meth is likely to affect you (amounts of smoke too small).
(Tell them to stop smoking that crap!) ...

2) I notice that you're taking - or were taking kava.

I might have noticed somewhere that, chemically - it's not such a good idea with these drugs.
... Maybe it was something I picked up from Harvoni liner notes . I was thinking of taking some myself. I did a bit a of research ... Can't remember exactly.
Also - I'm prone to digging into things a little deeply, sometimes.
... Different drug I know - but with some similarities I guess.

Hoping this doesn't freak you out!

P.S. I can't get back to this computer for a few days.

Best,

A.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 04:48:55 pm »
Living with a meth addict would affect me, not because of the substance, but because it's healthier for me to be among people who aren't actively addicted. I'd lose sleep over this.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 02:41:22 am »
My GI Dr told me not to get the hep A and hep B vaccine during treatment. I am on Epclusa. He didn't go into detail why.
There is growing evidence that HCV and HBV co-infection effects the way that HBV progresses. It seems that HCV treatment can cause a change in the way that the human immune system deals with HBV. So it is only logical that HCV treatment might cause a failure of the HBV vaccine.
There are documented cases of dangerous HBV flair ups during HCV treatment in some people who are co-infected and have previously successfully been treated for HBV or at least seemed to be in a stable remission.

My theory on the subject is that HCV itself effects the human immune system in ways that may protect the HCV virus from competing viral infections.

For all the years that I was HCV active I rarely if ever caught a case of the flu or even the common cold. Before successful treatment and cure I did not even experience reactions to my annual flu shot. This changed; last years flu shot put me out of commission for 4 days. The reaction was so strong that it was almost as bad a catching the flu for real. This being said: Certainly get the vaccinations for A and B or a renewal of the inoculation once you are clear of HCV, especially if you intend to travel. I sure as hell would because having had HCV do continuous damage to my liver for over 40 years I certainly would not take the chance of catching either A or B!
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline FinleyMorse

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 07:57:15 am »
That sounds like a tough situation. It can be hard to manage stress and sleep disturbances when you're dealing with a chronic illness. I'd recommend talking to your doctor about your sleep issues.

Offline FinleyMorse

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2023, 07:59:03 am »
hmmm

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 06:17:39 pm »
Fortunately I was not get double exposed to both HCV and HBV as some have been over the years. Insomnia during treatment was a real issue at the end of Harvoni treatment for me though as I caught a really bad flu of some description in Feb of 2015 close to the end of my treatment. Now at 70 years of age and 8 years post treatment all I need to do is not progress to type two diabetes and stay exercised in both mind and body as much as is possible for us senior baby boomers ;D  Harvoni and getting rid of chronic HCV has without a doubt added years of productive life as I worked right up until last summer cooking in a seniors care residence not all I need to do is avoid needing to become a resident of one for as long as my lucky stars will allow!
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.