Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:39:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 86
Total: 86

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CBD Oil  (Read 12448 times)

Offline tmf2

CBD Oil
« on: October 01, 2018, 09:38:09 pm »
Anyone using this post treatment?

Thanks Dennis

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: CBD Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 12:15:27 am »
Sounds like a bad idea to me unless you have epilepsy.....

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20180507/cbd-oil-all-the-rage-but-is-it-safe-effective

The non-intoxicating marijuana extract is being credited with helping treat a host of medical problems -- everything from epileptic seizures to anxiety to inflammation to sleeplessness.

But experts say the evidence is scant for most of these touted benefits.

Worse, CBD is being produced without any regulation, resulting in products that vary widely in quality, said Marcel Bonn-Miller, an adjunct assistant professor of psychology in psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

"It really is the Wild West," Bonn-Miller said. "Joe Bob who starts up a CBD company could say whatever the hell he wants on a label and sell it to people."

Strong Evidence for Treating Epilepsy

Only one purported use for cannabidiol, to treat epilepsy, has significant scientific evidence supporting it.

Last month, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisory panel unanimously recommended approval of the CBD medication Epidiolex to treat two rare forms of childhood epilepsy.

That's really the only area where the evidence has risen to the point where the FDA has said this is acceptable to approve a new drug," said Timothy Welty, chair of the department of clinical sciences at Drake University's College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, in Des Moines, Iowa.

For the rest of CBD's potential uses, there is simply too little evidence to make a firm conclusion.

For example, some human clinical trials suggest that CBD could be effective in treating symptoms of anxiety, particularly social anxiety, Bonn-Miller said.

This is the potential use for CBD with the most evidence after usefulness in epilepsy, but "there's a decent gap between those two," he said.

"There have been clinical trials in adults, but a lot smaller than the epilepsy studies that have been done in kids," Bonn-Miller said.

CBD's usefulness as an anti-inflammatory medication is the next most promising, but those results come mostly from animal studies, experts said.

Most Other Uses Largely Unproven

The rest of the potential uses -- as an antipsychotic, antidepressant or sleep aid "have all been studied in animals, with only one or two examples of studies in humans," Bonn-Miller said.

And Welty said the studies that have featured humans for these other CBD uses have either been case reports or studies that did not compare results against a control group that did not use the oil.

"There's no control, so it's basically how do you know if we're dealing with the true effect of the drug or just simply a placebo effect because somebody thinks they've been given a drug that will be beneficial?" Welty said.

There also are concerns about both the quality of CBD oil being produced and its potential side effects, the experts added.

Lack of Regulation Also Concerning

Because of the legally murky nature of marijuana, the FDA has not stepped in to regulate products like CBD oil, Bonn-Miller said. States are struggling to put regulations in place, but they don't have the deep pockets of the federal government.

Meanwhile, a 2017 study led by Bonn-Miller found that nearly 7 of 10 CBD products didn't contain the amount of marijuana extract promised on the label.

Nearly 43 percent of the products contained too little CBD, while about 26 percent contained too much, Bonn-Miller said.

"CBD is kind of a tricky drug because it's not very well absorbed orally," Welty explained. "Less than 20 percent of the drug is absorbed orally. If it isn't made in the right way, you may not be getting much drug into your systemic circulation."

Worse, about 1 in 5 CBD products contained the intoxicating pot chemical THC, Bonn-Miller and his colleagues found.

Potential Interactions With Other Meds

Studies on CBD also have raised concerns about possible interactions with other drugs.

"My bottom-line advice is people really need to be under the care of a health care provider who understands CBD. They need to be monitored and managed by that individual, and not just go out and buy CBD thinking it's going to be the answer," Welty said.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline tmf2

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:53:56 am »
Thanks Lynn I did run across that also while researching but also found as many stating different results such as this taken from the NCBI. Also it must be noted that Milk Thistle has also not been approved or evaluated by the FDA so purity and how effective or
safe it is for use is subjective. I don't know of any organics that are approved by the FDA although I certainly could be mistaken. My primary care physician prescribed Trazodone for sleep issues unfortunately  it don't agree with me, and I much prefer using 10mg CBD for a better effect. I obviously don't want to damage or hurt my liver in any way but if CBD don't damage the liver its a win for me.

Thanks again Lynn  for all the help you contribute to this forum.

CONCLUSIONS AND IMPLICATIONS

Cannabidiol restores liver function, normalizes 5-HT levels and improves brain pathology in accordance with normalization of brain function. Therefore, the effects of cannabidiol may result from a combination of its actions in the liver and brain

------------National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI)

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 01:23:10 pm »
Not  to hijack the thread,  but  in response to a post above, Trazodone is anathema for sleep..  My doc prescribed it off label for insomnia. Hated it.. Moreover, after 2 wks of trying it, quitting it cold turkey produced nasty withdrawals I had no idea were  even a part of this nasty drug. Never again.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:49:12 pm by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 01:30:00 pm »
They are a recognized source of good information associated with the NLM and NIH.

Best of luck with your sleep issues. I do suggest being selective in the source of your CBD based on the article I found.

I am fortunate in that I have none of the symptoms that CBD purportedly may be helpful in treating.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:42:37 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 09:55:33 am »
Just to bring this thread up to date, Ive been taking CBD oil in a 5mg/serving dose once or twice per evening to help with insomnia, and have been concerned about the studies showing an impact on liver enzymes resulting from its use..

Then, this morning, I came across this article which seems to allay any fears I had had.  For those facing these concerns, I'd urge them to read this article.

https://www.liversupport.com/is-cbd-safe-for-your-liver/
Paul

DX 2008
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 11:49:54 am »
Personally, I don't use CBDs, but I see no safety issues regarding them and the liver. For this, there is lots of evidence. There are safety issues for people with certain mental health conditions, addiction and a few other circumstances.
Because of the tragic lack of evidence (due to ridiculous restrictions by US govt), I can't speak to the efficacy of them for treating certain conditions, but there is enough anecdotal experience among users to warrant good research.
However, it all comes down to source - know what one is consuming. For instance, although I appreciate the link DragonSlayer sent (good article), I would not purchase Milk Thistle from them. In fact, the more I read, the less I am inclined to take supplements. Exercise, sleep and a healthy diet seem to work best for me.

All of this is just my opinion - do with as you wish.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 12:02:38 pm »
Personally, I don't use CBDs, but I see no safety issues regarding them and the liver. For this, there is lots of evidence. There are safety issues for people with certain mental health conditions, addiction and a few other circumstances.
Because of the tragic lack of evidence (due to ridiculous restrictions by US govt), I can't speak to the efficacy of them for treating certain conditions, but there is enough anecdotal experience among users to warrant good research.
However, it all comes down to source - know what one is consuming. For instance, although I appreciate the link DragonSlayer sent (good article), I would not purchase Milk Thistle from them. In fact, the more I read, the less I am inclined to take supplements. Exercise, sleep and a healthy diet seem to work best for me.

All of this is just my opinion - do with as you wish.

I totally agree with this.. The CBD oil I use comes with lab certifiaction as to its content, and Im pretty sure its among the best we can get wrt purity, etc, short of passing an FDA reg.  Ive been able to radically reduce my use of Zolpidem, and totally eliminate anticholinergics simply by taking a low dose melatonin sublingual, CBD oil 5mg sublingual, and 400mg Magnesium at bed time..  I find this regimen to be preferable..  YMMV...
Paul

DX 2008
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 03:02:55 pm »
Impressive!
BTW, I've had really good luck with meditation, particularly those used for sleep. It took a huge commitment and it wasn't quick, but it is working. It's really great to have healthy progress, isn't it!!!!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline LindaBalz

• FB
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 09:02:52 am »
I use it for anxiety, but I still have those issues anyway. Its more of a placebo I think.

LB
LB

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.