Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 68
Total: 68

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question  (Read 7301 times)

Offline Bakerbritney43

Question
« on: October 15, 2019, 10:14:26 am »

I was at a dinner party last night and when I sat down in chair, I felt a poke. I didn’t think too much of it, just shifted my position. It was a dining table chair with an upholstered seat. When I got home, I realized that I had two small holes in the rear of my leggings. Still didn’t think anything of it. But this morning it dawned on me that if someone else had sat in that chair before me and gotten pricked by whatever it was, that could potentially be a problem for diseases. I tried to look at my bottom, which is not an easy area for me to see on my own… Ha! I didn’t see anything, but that means nothing. Because I really can’t tell. Anyway, should I be concerned?

Offline Bakerbritney43

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 10:15:50 am »
I’m sorry, this seems to have posted twice and I don’t know how to delete one! :-(

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Question
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 08:04:16 pm »
OK so first off only about less than 4% of the US population has hep c. So the odds of randomly encountering someone with hep c is relatively low. Hep c is a blood borne virus meaning blood from an infected person must enter the blood stream of an uninfected person. So someone with hep c would have to been at your dinner party, sat in that chair, been cut deeply enough to draw blood and then that blood would have to enter your blood stream so you would need to be cut deeply enough to draw blood.

So that already seems to be a very low probability event. Add to that if a healthcare worker should experience an accidental needlestick involving a patient with known hepatitis see the odds of transmission in that situation are only about 1.8%.

So you are asking about the very low probability of an exceedingly low probability scenario.

Long story short, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over this.

I’ll delete your duplicate post
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.