Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:35:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 60
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Efficacy of Hepatitis B post exposure prophylaxis ( Am I Infected)  (Read 7741 times)

Offline Chimachi

I am new to this great forum and really thanks the team behind this helpful initiative to save lives. I had a very high risk encounter and want to know if am infected and my options

On 20th Jan 2020, I had sex using condom with Hepatitis B positive lady in acute stage, newly infected. Unfortunately the condom pulled during sex and I continued for like 5 minutes without knowing.

Am not vaccinated. I did baseline tests and it's negative with no prior immunity.

The next day (14 hours later) I took a short of hepatitis B vaccine and a short of hepatitis B immuneglobulin (5.4ml)

How effective is this emergency intervention?

Am I still at risk or will the PEP take care of the situation.

A doctor recommended I repeat the vaccine in 2 weeks time from first shot since my exposure was very high risk. I am thinking of repeating the vaccine shot in a week after the first shot since I work offshore and wont be able to take a shot in two weeks. Will there be any side effect doing  this . Do I need to do anything  more.
thanks a lot for your helps

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Efficacy of Hepatitis B post exposure prophylaxis ( Am I Infected)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 06:01:25 pm »
There are no medical professionals here this is a community of patients coming together for moral support for those living with liver disease or hepatitis related conditions. As such we are unable to offer medical advice specific to the effectiveness to the treatment you have undergone beyond what a google search would provide.

You best resource for a medically informed answer to your question is your treating physician.

I did a quick google search and found this information from the US CDC

“After exposure to hepatitis B virus (HBV), appropriate and timely prophylaxis can prevent HBV infection and subsequent development of chronic infection or liver disease. The mainstay of postexposure prophylaxis (PEP) is hepatitis B vaccine, but, in certain circumstances, hepatitis B immune globulin is recommended in addition to vaccine for added protection.”

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hbv/pep.htm

Also this from another source

“ Hepatitis B vaccine is highly effective in preventing acute infection after exposure if given within 7 days and preferably within 48 hours.”

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/EMIToolkit/appendices/app8.pdf

Beyond what I as a layperson found with an internet search for more information speak with your doctor and follow your doctors guidance. 

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:03:04 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Chimachi

Re: Efficacy of Hepatitis B post exposure prophylaxis ( Am I Infected)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 06:56:02 pm »
Thanks a lot Lynn for your reply and painstaking Internet search

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.