Hepatitis C Main Forums > Living with Hepatitis C

12 weeks after treatment ended

(1/1)

Midnightbanana:
I've been anticipating this time with the hope there would be good news to post. Amazingly, 2 months after treatment ended, I caught Covid-19. After 4 weeks of dealing with that, now I feel better. Friday I had my 12 week blood draw after treatment ended. Even though I was ill with Covid, I still didn't want to delay finding out about the possible success of treatment for Hep C.

The news is very good.
ALD 47
ALT 16
AST 21

virus Quant <12 units per ML
                  < 1.08 log

These numbers are great. "Undetected" is basically what the Quant means.

HISTORY:
On Nov 4, 2019 I found out that I was infected with Hep C. I likely had it for 30 years but didn't know it. My liver ended up moderately damaged at F2.
My numbers then were:
Quant over 3,000,000
ALP 61
ALT 47
AST 41

So after 12 weeks of generic Epclusa, I can report success.
My 4 week test was very promising. My count was only 20! So I had high hopes the treatment would be successful.

The one scary thing about contracting Covid-19 was that I worried about my immune system being compromised. I was afraid this would open the door for the Hep C to rebound. Thankfully this didn't happen and I was just being paranoid. Having Hep C can do that to your mind!

I have to say that the psychological stress associated with being diagnosed with Hep C was pretty intense. To then get Covid-19 only added to my anxiety levels. I'm 71 now, have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure so there was plenty to worry about with getting Covid. Luckily my case was mild although I have to say, that illness is a beast.

Right now I just feel very lucky to have gotten through all this. I feel lucky there is great antiviral treatment for Hep C. I feel grateful to the HealthWell Foundation for taking the possible financial burden off.

One lesson I learned from going through all this is COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS. Get treatment and stay positive.

Lynn K:
Thanks for the update and congrats on being cured of hep c. So sorry to hear you contracted covid. Thank goodness it sounds like you had a mild infection and didn’t need to be hospitalized or go on a respirator.

Enjoy your hep c free life!

Midnightbanana:
Lynn,

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, very fortunate the Covid wasn't worse. I knew I had it when I lost sense of taste. That only lasted a few days but it was very worrying and discouraging when it happened. I got the test and positive result for Covid only because my friends were nagging me to go do it. It was obvious I had Covid even without the test. Just like the Hep C, didn't know where I got it! I was being so careful but apparently it is very contagious and everywhere in the U.S.

Thanks for being there and being helpful to people going through Hep C and treatment. You are one of the angels I found while going through it.
Take care!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version