Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:36:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 103
Total: 103

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Do I need to get testing?  (Read 7894 times)

Offline jgicani

Do I need to get testing?
« on: August 05, 2020, 08:30:28 am »
Hello, I would greatly appreciate your input as I have been worrying about this non-stop.  I was at my dermatologist's office sitting on the exam table.  I had my bag with me as well on the exam table.  As I was leaving, I noticed a small amount of dried blood on the exam table.  I pointed it to the doctor, and he apologized, stating that they sometimes do procedures and blood gets on the table.  I myself did not touch the blood, but my bag touched the dried blood and my clothes also touched the dried blood.  I didn't think anything of it at that time, but when I got home, I remembered that I have torn cuticles on some of my fingers and thumb.  I always get the torn cuticles especially nowadays from washing hands.  Some of the torn cuticles are raw/red.  I'm afraid that HIV/Hepatitis C from the dried blood on the table got onto my bag or my clothes and then I touched my bag and clothes and then HIV/Hep C got into me through the torn cuticles.  Can I get HIV or Hepatitis C from this encounter?  Do I need to undergo testing? 

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Do I need to get testing?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 04:16:42 pm »
Can I get HIV or Hepatitis C from this encounter? 
No

https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overview/about-hiv-and-aids/how-is-hiv-transmitted

https://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/hepatitis-c-protecting-others

“ How Does Hepatitis C Spread?

Hepatitis C is spread only through exposure to an infected person's blood.

High-risk activities include:

Sharing drug use equipment. Anything involved with injecting street drugs, from syringes, to needles, to tourniquets, can have small amounts of blood on it that can transmit hepatitis C. Pipes and straws to smoke or snort drugs can have blood on them from cracked lips or nosebleeds. Get into a treatment program if you can. At the very least, don't share needles or equipment with anyone else.
Sharing tattoo or piercing tools. Nonsterile items and ink can spread contaminated blood.
Blood transfusions in countries that don’t screen blood for hepatitis C.
Nonsterile medical equipment. Tools that aren’t cleaned properly between use can spread the virus.
Blood or cutting rituals. Sharing the tools or exchanging blood can transmit hepatitis C.

Medium-risk activities include:

Sharing or not disposing of grooming and hygiene supplies. This includes razors, toothbrushes, nail clippers, or anything else that could have your blood on it. Cover any open wounds or sores with bandages. Carefully dispose of tampons, sanitary napkins, tissues, used bandages, and anything else that might have your blood on it.
Unprotected sex. It’s rare, but you can spread and catch it from sex, especially during menstruation or certain sex practices like fisting. It’s more likely you’ll spread it if you have HIV or another sexually transmitted infection.
Pregnancy and birth. There’s a small risk for a mother to pass the disease on to her child before or during birth. The odds go up if the mother has HIV.
Needle-stick injuries. Health care workers and caregivers are most likely to get it this way.

Things that Don’t Spread Hepatitis C

It cannot be spread through:

Coughing
Sneezing
Hugging
Kissing
Breastfeeding (unless nipples are cracked or bleeding)
Sharing utensils or glasses
Casual contact
Sharing food and water
Mosquito or other insect bites
That means everyday contact isn’t risky. The odds of it spreading between people in a household are near zero.”

Do I need to undergo testing?
No

However, you may want to consider counseling for anxiety related to unfounded fears of contracting illnesses
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.