Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:21:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 123
Total: 123

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is it a crime to spread Hep C?  (Read 17089 times)

Offline diannastarr

Is it a crime to spread Hep C?
« on: July 06, 2011, 09:31:36 am »
I started a thread on Hep B (http://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?topic=960.0) and now I'm finding stories about folks with Hep C also being charged with crimes related to spreading the disease through biting and spitting.

Whitby woman with hepatitis C charged after man bitten (Canada)
http://is.gd/mKUdI1

Court’s decision to lock up hepatitis C spit woman welcomed (England)
http://is.gd/TTsR8s

Has anyone heard of that happening in the US? What is the real chance of spreading Hep C through spit? Sounds a bit hysterical to me and really bad for those with any kind of hepatitis.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:40:03 am by diannastarr »

Offline farmgirl

Re: Is it a crime to spread Hep C?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:03:53 am »
Saw this one today
"Woman with disease charged with assault"
http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/crime/woman-with-disease-charged-with-assault/article_6110f04c-6d48-5871-949e-1b492045608b.html

She is in Bucks County, PA in the good old USA.

Offline sophiedog

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 01:16:34 pm »
Bad headline.  She was charged with assault for spitting on a cop, not because she has hepc.  It's a slippery slope, I know, but at least it's noted in the article that hep c isn't transmitted via saliva. 

the real question should be to the newspaper, why did you put in the headline 'woman with disease' ??

Offline diannastarr

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:22:27 am »
Greensburg man charged with spitting on officer
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/westmoreland/s_773009.html

A Greensburg man with hepatitis C spat in the face of a city policeman while officers responded to a call about a man with a knife, according to police.

I'm not sure why its relevant that the man has hepatitis c? Why is it in the first sentence? You can't get it from spit.

Offline raytuned

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:29:59 am »
not entirely sure, but  i think it would be funny if a person used ignorance as a defense. after all they say 4 million are infected and  3 million dont know they have it. now heres the funny part-whom do you believe? wicked  this hep c in all facets. keep in mind you cant get it from spit, but if you have bleeding gums, the saliva will act as a conveyor. another scenario would be cut myself ,suck the blood and spit  to another persons open wound. 7 ways to Sunday- get it!!!!

Offline natalie23

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 04:06:39 pm »
another scenario would be cut myself ,suck the blood and spit  to another persons open wound.

You would have to be very disturbed to do that and in that case it might be a good thing if the person was charged. Although not sure how you could prove intent there. More likely to end up in the mental ward.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.