Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:25:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 117
Total: 117

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep C Pipeline is "Robust"  (Read 21430 times)

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
Hep C Pipeline is "Robust"
« on: July 18, 2011, 03:42:17 pm »
New story posted to HepMag.com

"Hep C Drug Development Pipeline is 'Robust,' Says Report"
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/hepatitis_pipeline_development_2501_20839.shtml

The prospects for dramatic—indeed in some cases revolutionary—changes in prevention and treatment for HCV in the next decade are amazingly good, the authors suggest.

Offline worriedsilly

Re: Hep C Pipeline is "Robust"
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 09:04:51 am »
Thanks for sharing. Good to know more options are on the way.

Offline farmgirl

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:47:01 pm »
I feel like there is a report every other day but good news from this trial or another. Great to read it is official. Fingers cross this all comes true!!!!

Offline fullof?

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:14:29 pm »
When will these new class of drugs really be on the market? 2 years? How come this process can't be sped up? I guess enough people aren't dying yet. Then maybe they will start paying attention and get the approvals moving.

Offline worriedsilly

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 09:10:47 am »
BMS Drug Boosts Hep C Cure Rates (http://is.gd/TnM1ua)

A recent story on Hep mag talking about a new BMS drug on the way. 99% of people showed a drop in their "Hep C viral load".

It says it is in phase IIa. What does that mean? How close is it to actually being available for me?

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 12:52:37 pm »
Worried:

To make a long story short, Phase IIa means that the drug in question -- BMS-790052 -- is still in the early stages of testing. I wouldn't expect this drug to be approved for at least another three years.

Some trials, known as phase I studies are mainly tests of safety (although they may collect some minimal information on the treatment's usefulness). Other studies, known as phase II and phase III studies, collect lots of information about both safety and usefulness. A drug must clear through all three phases of development, in which lots of data are collected, before the sponsoring pharmaceutical company can petition the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for approval.

Phase II is, in effect, an exploratory phase of research -- this is the time for researchers to look for potential efficacy (which is clearly shown here), ferret out any key side effects and figure out which dose of the drug is the safest and most effective to use. A Phase IIb study will ultimately be conducted to refine the results of the Phase I and Phase IIa study results.

In Phase III -- and there will probably be at least two studies (one involving people starting hep C treatment for the first time and another in people who didn't respond well to treatment in the past), which can take a while to enroll, conduct, analyze and prepare for presentation. Phase III studies usually involves several hundred people to ensure the most accurate results.

Of course, there is a way to access these drugs before they're approved -- through clinical trials. To learn more about studies involving BMS's NS5a inhibitor, click here.

Tim Horn

Offline farmgirl

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 09:55:42 am »
Santaris Releases Phase II Data Showing Its HCV Drug Is Well Tolerated, Effective

http://www.genomeweb.com/rnai/santaris-releases-phase-ii-data-showing-its-hcv-drug-well-tolerated-effective

"showing that the drug is well tolerated and can trigger “continuous and prolonged” antiviral activity that extends beyond the time of active treatment."

Not sure exactly what it all means but sounds like it is moving in the right direction. Phase II is early I think so this one still has a long way to go.

Offline tommyv

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 01:01:08 pm »
Cyclophilin Inhibitor Alisporivir Shows Promise in Phase II Hep C Study

http://www.hepmag.com/articles/hvc_alisporivir_deb025_2501_20178.shtml

Wow that is a mouthful. What the heck is a Cyclophilin Inhibitor? Story says it stops reproduction of HCV so I guess it is a good thing.

Offline tommyv

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 09:17:40 am »
Positive results from Biotron's BIT225 Phase 2a trial on HCV

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20111011/Positive-results-from-Biotrons-BIT225-Phase-2a-trial-on-HCV.aspx

Biotron -- I just like the sound of that name. It's like the transformers are working on a Hep cure.

Offline tommyv

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 09:17:21 am »
Positive data from Anadys' setrobuvir Phase IIb combination study on genotype 1 HCV

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20111014/Positive-data-from-Anadys-setrobuvir-Phase-IIb-combination-study-on-genotype-1-HCV.aspx

and the results continue to come in

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.