Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:22:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is the difference between Hep B vaccine and HPV vaccine?  (Read 50319 times)

Offline mad_adventurer

What is the difference between Hep B vaccine and HPV vaccine?
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:06:27 am »
My school requires the Hepatitis B vaccine before my girls can start school. They don't currently require the HPV vaccine. Both are getting a lot of press lately because of the dust up between Gov. Rick Perry and Michele Bachmann.

So what is the difference between the two? Should my girls get both vaccines to be safe?

Offline hepmagnet

Re: What is the difference between Hep B vaccine and HPV vaccine?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:23:27 pm »
One big difference is you get Hep B when you are a baby while you get the HPV at some point near or during the start of sexual activity. Another difference is Hep B is for everyone while I think only girls get HPV.

I've heard talk of risks associated with both but i'm not an expert so I won't go there.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:21:21 am »
Just so that we're clear, the HBV protects against the hepatitis B virus; the HPV vaccine protects against four strains of the human papillomavirus (HPV) that cause genital warts and cancers.

Both vaccines are recommended by the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Generally speaking, the HBV vaccine is given to both boys and girls during the first six months of life; the HPV vaccine should be given to girls during the 11th or 12th year of life (note: these committees also suggest the HPV vaccine for boys, before they become sexually active, to reduce the risk of genital warts and cancers).

Why states and school boards have chosen to politicize vaccine recommendations is beyond me. Regardless of whether or not someone becomes sexually active before marriage, or has one or several sexual partners, the risk of HPV -- and with it, life-threatening cervical and anal cancers -- remains. This is a public health issue, not a morality issue. And it infuriates me to no end when governments refuse to acknowledge public health issues, accept the importance of vaccination or subsidize programs to make vaccination available to at-risk young people.

Mad_adventurer, if I'm reading your post correctly, you have two young girls starting school. If they're younger than nine, they're simply too young to be vaccinated against HPV. By the time they're finishing up elementary school, be sure to discuss the issue of HPV vaccination with their pediatrician -- even if their school doesn't require HPV vaccination, doesn't mean that you should't have an open an honest dialog with your daughters' health care providers. I assure you -- your daughters will thank you for it later.

Tim Horn    
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:23:22 am by Tim Horn »

Offline mad_adventurer

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:35:35 pm »
Thanks Tim.

What about the health risks associated with getting the vaccines? I keep hearing about the risk of autism with Hep B vaccine. Any fact behind all the rumors out there?

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:50:08 am »
Well, all I can say regarding the vaccine/autism imbroglio is that while there appeared to be some interesting associations discussed -- with much fervor and zeal -- ten or so years ago, the sheer volume of proceedings from a expert panels has left me with the conclusion that continuing to point the finger at vaccines as a cause of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is counterproductive and is taking away from the much-needed multidisciplinary effort needed to understand the disease.

Think about it: Thimerosal, the mercury-based vaccine preservative that has been theorized to be the cause of ASD, was taken out of childhood vaccines in 2001. Yet, autism rates have only increased over the past ten years, which is the opposite of what would be expected if thimerosal caused autism.

Even if you're still on the fence (or even convinced) about the thimerosal-ASD claims, know that neither the HBV or HPV vaccines contain thimerosal or mercury.

Tim

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:36:25 am by Tim Horn »

Offline hep_mom

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »
My kids all had the Hep B vaccine without any issues. There are so many diseases floating around in the schools these days. I'll take any protection I can get for my kids.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.