Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:50:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 100
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 71
Total: 71

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can the new Hep C drugs be used if I have genotype 4?  (Read 25451 times)

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
Can the new Hep C drugs be used if I have genotype 4?
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:38:44 am »
A reader asked the question on our recent "New Hep C Treatment Guidelines Spell Out Incivek and Victrelis Use" article http://www.hepmag.com/articles/incivek_victrelis_aasld_2501_21290.shtml

"Hello, I am seeking better info on hep c genome 4.(which i have)I have basically been on hold regarding treatment,waiting for my docs to say that the new meds can be used for genome 4 patients. I have been told that the rareness of genome 4 people means lack of testing results for them. Previous cancer issues(now cleared) indicate that the new drugs would allow me to have a safer and shorter course, but Im at a loss for answers. Any info you could share would help."

Offline Tim Horn

Re: Can the new Hep C drugs be used if I have genotype 4?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:05:48 pm »
The bad news is that we don't know a heck of a lot about the effectiveness of the recently approved protease inhibitors on genotype 4 HCV. The good news is that there are preliminary data suggesting that at least one of the drugs, Vertex's Incivek, is active against genotype 4 (feel free to download this document and show it to your doctor).

Depending on your cancer history, you may also be eligible to participate in clinical trials, actively enrolling genotype 4 patients, exploring the safety and effectiveness of even newer drugs. These include a not-yet-open study of BMS-790052 (click here to learn more) and a currently enrolling study of BMS-650032 (click here to learn more).

Hope this helps.

Offline dot3434

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:00:02 pm »
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the difference betwn genotype 4 and other versions?

Offline fullof?

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 02:17:42 pm »
and how many types are there?

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:01 pm »
Think of it like this: Hepatitis C virus is a bit like a bird of prey. They all share many similar traits, but are genetically unique. Just as there are nine common birds of prey (eagles, ospreys, kites, hawks, buzzards, harriers, vultures, falcons and owls), there are 11 different genetic types, or genotypes, of HCV (genotypes 1 through 11).

Also like different birds of prey, there are different types--or subtypes--to know about. Just as there are East Hemisphere and Western vultures, there are distinct subtypes of HCV genotypes -- HCV genotype 1 is either subtype 1a or subtype 1b.

Also like birds of prey, some HCV genotypes and subtypes are more common in some parts of the world than others. Consider the following:

1a - mostly found in North & South America; also common in Australia
1b - mostly found in Europe and Asia.
2a - is the most common genotype 2 in Japan and China.
2b - is the most common genotype 2 in the U.S. and Northern Europe.
2c - the most common genotype 2 in Western and Southern Europe.
3a - highly prevalent in Australia and South Asia.
4a - highly prevalent in Egypt
4c - highly prevalent in Central Africa

... and so on.

As the list suggests, HCV genotype 1a is the most common in the United States. While genotypes 2, 3, and 4 aren't exactly rare in the U.S., they're prevalence isn't as high as genotype 1.

The genetic differences between these HCV types matter -- genotype 1 has the double distinction of being not only the most common in the U.S., but also the hardest to treat with interferon-based therapy, given that it is less sensitive to this particular form of treatment. Genotypes 2 and 3 are easier to treat, whereas genotype 4 is like genotype 1 in its response to treatment.

Over time, provided that the new drugs in development prove safe and effective, we'll be able to move away from interferon-based treatment. Once this happens, differences in treatment response rates, according to genotype, should begin to melt away.

Tim Horn  
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:24:27 am by Tim Horn »

Offline fullof?

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 04:03:09 pm »
Thank you so much Tim. Really grateful for you spelling it out like that. Fingers crossed these new drugs work!

Offline DiamondsInGraves

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 06:15:57 pm »
I have Genotype 3, Ive had it my whole life ,all 28 Years of it (found out at age 19) I dont drink/smoke and eat healthy *thankfully always have*.The only reason I did the treatment  from Nov 2006-May 2007 is because my viral load went up high enough to qualify. I think its a matter of body/age and viral load from what I learned and the questions I asked. Hope it helps.

-Jayme.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.