Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:51:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 85
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 68
Total: 68

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: After you are cured can you still infect someone else?  (Read 15820 times)

Offline Rich1957

After you are cured can you still infect someone else?
« on: May 02, 2014, 06:35:43 pm »
Good afternoon was at the doc's today and he was telling me that after you are cured that there still is a chance to infect someone else. Told him I didn't believe him and I would go to the source, anyone have some input on this????  Thanks  Fred
Fred

Offline Mike

Re: After you are cured can you still infect someone else?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:01:38 pm »
If you're virus free - I don't know how you can infect someone with something you don't have, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 03:19:37 pm »
I think MDs are still hung up on whether this is a SVR or cure...  For many, many years they never said the word cure, but as nasty as this virus is, I am with you, it is either 100% gone, or Hep C load jumps right back into the countable range. You will always test positive because of antibodies.  -jack

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 09:59:45 pm »
Rich -
Mike and Jack are right - you can't reinfect if you don't have a virus to infect with. Hep C doesn't work like many other viruses - it either replicates or it dies off. It doesn't hang out waiting for an opportunity to suddenly come back.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 07:57:31 am »
Thanks guess not all Doc's are as well read as they should be. Well I'm starting my third week of sol/rib and nothing to report I feel great. No side affects to report at this time. I'll post again when I get my 4 wk bloodwork. My appointment is May 12th. Hope everyone else is getting what they need to beat the beast.   Fred
Fred

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 01:54:06 pm »
Things are changing, and docs aren't all up to speed. However, it is worth adding that although rare, some people may have a recurrence. We don't completely understand this - it may be due to poor testing, reinfection, the immune system, and so on. Although more than 99% of those who are cured remain that way, we still need to act responsibly with our blood and get regular follow-up care.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 08:46:12 pm »
I'm in a situation where I met a woman and when we started getting serious I told her to get tested, I had just found out I was positive. What are the odds that she had Hep-c. She started treatment six weeks before me. She doesn't understand why I won't sleep with her till we are both done. She think's I'm being cold when I'm trying to do the right thing. Even though the odds are slight I don't want to be responsible for a reinfection to her or her to me. Some times I just don't understand women. I thought only men thought with there genitals.  LOL
Fred

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 12:00:45 am »
Rich - LOL - Hep C seems easy to navigate compared to relationships!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 03:24:03 am »
Thats for sure. Twenty years ago I would not have cared and taken the chance.      Maturity.
Fred

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 10:34:12 pm »
Man I go to the Doc tomorrow feel giddy as a kid. Looking for positive results I feel so good they will be positive. It's like a new beginning 56 and starting over. I felt so depressed when I got the news of being Positive but that hopefully is all water under the bridge now. Hope everyone here is on the up slope looking at the apex. I know we all can.  Happy Mothers Day to all.
Fred

Offline Mike

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 10:44:52 pm »
Hey Fred,

You should get some good news from the Doc tomorrow!

Best, Mke
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 11:44:20 pm »
Mike, Thanks I know it will be good news. Tell me is it harder waiting for your final report or going through the treatment? I can't sleep now , climbing the walls, looking forward to it being all over with . Just want to get it done  Yea know. Thanks again for  all the encouragement. It's got to feel good to be rid of this, hope you do .
Fred

Offline thecommodore

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 01:15:51 am »
I'm very happy to read all this Fred.  Congratulations,  and good luck!
:-D

Offline Marysee

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 04:40:04 pm »
Fred, Sending good thoughts your way, can't wait to hear your good results!

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 06:14:15 pm »
Had my blood work today, should get results by next Mon. Just wanted to add a food for thought about itching. I've been using a product called Dyna Hex/4 it reduces the bacterial load on your skin, then I use a body wash that is coconut oil this is really soothing to my skin. Just putting it out there FYI. My Doc recommended using Glycerin but it leaves you feeling greasy. Thanks for reading, just trying to help others in the same predicament .
Fred

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.