Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:33:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 37
Total: 37

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Early stage cirrosis  (Read 12524 times)

Offline Tristan

Early stage cirrosis
« on: May 18, 2014, 07:13:01 pm »
I was just told last week that I am stage 4/early cirrosis. My doctor now is putting all paper work in to try and get me the sovaldi and I'm so scared my insurance is going to deny. I have blue shield through covered Ca which is basically the Obamacare version of blue shield and my experience with them so far is less then stellar. Also since doing all this online research last few days I'm realizing I hope my doc puts in for the olysio too. I have geno 1a since 94, I am 41 and living with hep c is one thing but finding out about cirrosis totally floored me. I am really scared I won't get meds. Also being at point of cirrosis I'm sure lessens the success rate, that is why I really hope my doc puts in for the olysio because it seems with it it brings rate up to 95 from say 90. Anyway any advice, encouragement or guidance on anything I can do to get these meds would be much appreciated. Thanks Tristan

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Early stage cirrosis
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:47:19 pm »
Hi Tristan,
You are absolutely right in wanting Sovaldi and Olysio for the stage you are in. Although the drug(s) may be turned down, they are usually getting covered on the appeal. If you are denied, let me know and I will try to get you some info written by experts that your doc can use in the appeal letter.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Tristan

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 10:03:09 am »
Thank you.

Offline Mpetrecz

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 02:10:30 pm »
I was worried too Tristan.  My doctors team was responcable to get this through for me....and they did.  I am on solvaldi and olysio.  My insurance covered everything but 130$ a month.  I am a 3 without cirrhosis....but they wanted me on right away.  I don't know how much healing will happen once I'm cleared of the hep....I do have scarring and inflammation,  I am 1a and had a viral load of 1,300,000.
Thank god for solvaldi.....it truly is a miracle drug.  I've been on it for 6 days...and all ready feel so much better....no side effects to speak of...tons of energy.....
Keep us up on it.....and don't take no for an answer....be your own champion.

Offline Tristan

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 05:51:58 pm »
My doctors nurse called me today assuring me I would get the meds. She told me that so far they have gotten every patient the meds. She also told me two patients had 0 copayment on sovaldi and like an 80 copayment on the ribo. She going on vacation till next mon (1 week) and she told me I should def be hearing from the special pharmacy and that if there is a huge copayment to tell them to hold off. I am going in to see her next tues, I also have questions for her cause I'm noticing on here and through research there are people that are also geno 1a and are not taking the interferon? She actually told me I might want to wait till later this year when for sure there will be treatment without the interferon but if I am already early stage chirosis I don't want to wait. She also told me I really need to lose some weight because the weight has affect on interferon working right. My doc asked me to try and lose some weight last week and I've been so good about but she didn't tell me for that reason. I am prob 30 lb overweight I am 6ft 230, my hope is that when I go in next tues (it will have been 2 weeks since last weigh in) I'll have lost 8lb and she'll see how serious I am at that will be good enough for her to start me on meds. Well I will let you all know what happens, thank you this forum is a great resource and a great relief to see others going through same thing and being successfully. Tristan

Offline Mpetrecz

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 09:00:01 pm »
Well all good news.  After I got that news I got so nervous.....not about getting the meds....but about being cured and what am I getting into,...?....wel a friend snapped me out of that real fast.  This is something we need to do.  I have 3 other friends on solvaldi and olysio....none of us are on interferon or ribo.
I know importerm our lovely host here had an explanation about using the ribo and interferon,,,,....but it's all over my head.  I was very insistent about the drugs and my doc was just as insistent about being on solvaldi and olysio.  He's a top hepitologist at Hershey and I trust him completely.  He said he has 100% cure going right now with his group using these drugs.  So I don't know what to say....except follow your gut and be you own CHAMPION.  You know yourself better than anyone and it's your life being saved.....
Hope I'm not overstating or being to pushy.....but as a woman I know it's easy to get wishy washy and not stand up when we need to.  So I apologize for being forward and wish you tons of good vibes to get started.  I should say I was on interferon and it almost made me lose my eyesight.....it was well documented at my doctors hospital so interferon is absolutely off the table for me.

Offline Tristan

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 11:59:53 pm »
Lol! I forget my name could be male or female. Anyway I am male, thanks for sharing your experience with me. Yeah my research did show that European trails showed success without the interferon but my doc plans on the interferon. All these diff meds and all the different variables make it very confusing. Just putting one ft in front of other, fighting for meds if need be and doing my part to clear this virus.

Offline Mpetrecz

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 11:28:54 am »
O am I embarrassed......lol...not really. 
Fight on Tristan.  I just talked to my nurse about taking an anti reflux med with these hep meds.....I can...it's fine....but I did mention how great I feel and asked if this can clear so fast.....she said yes.  It can clear really fast but I have to stay on the meds for the full time.....I told her I was so thrilled to be gettin them I wouldn't dream of not doing the full 3 months.  How about THAT?  Now I can't wait for the four week blood work.....woot woo.....feeling fantastic.
So fight on Tristan......this really works.....the sovaldi is a miracle drug.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 11:49:22 am »
Sounds like you have a fabulous nurse. Expect to have an astronomical copay but don't worry because the patient assistance programs are picking these up and patients have minimal out-of-pocket expenses.

I lost weight in preparation for my treatment. Every pound counts. After I lost the weight and hep C, I used my new-found health as a platform to strive for even better health. Sounds like you are looking truth squarely in the eye and taking charge! Good luck.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 12:09:31 pm »
I had a $5.00 copay for Solvaldi (Gilead sent me the voucher) and a $30.00 copay for the RIBV and INTF per month. There's a lot of assistance out there, Tristan; and you should be able to get the meds you need.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.