Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:58:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 108
Total: 108

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Alcohol Post Hep C?  (Read 17403 times)

Offline Me123

Alcohol Post Hep C?
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:30:07 pm »
Hello Everyone,
 I am wondering about life after post Hepatitis C and drinking alcohol. Of course, we should all be mindful of the amount of alcohol we ingest, and i'm sure most of us after finding out of our disease would take proactive measures to not add any more fire to the flame - so to speak.

However, I am wondering is it safe to drink after you are cured? Or should you not drink at all? Are we still at greater risk than those who have never had hep c at all even after we are cured? And does any one know of any research papers that may be out there regarding this question?

Thank you,

Len

Offline Bucky

Re: Alcohol Post Hep C?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:43:47 pm »
Hello Everyone,
 I am wondering about life after post Hepatitis C and drinking alcohol. Of course, we should all be mindful of the amount of alcohol we ingest, and i'm sure most of us after finding out of our disease would take proactive measures to not add any more fire to the flame - so to speak.

However, I am wondering is it safe to drink after you are cured? Or should you not drink at all? Are we still at greater risk than those who have never had hep c at all even after we are cured? And does any one know of any research papers that may be out there regarding this question?

Thank you,

Len

Hi Len,  How bad was your liver pretreatment? Mine was fairly beat up so my doctor said no booze for me but I will have a shot of Tequila on my birthday.
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline omeco

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:01:56 am »
i'm interested is this as well

i have hep-c for about 35 years (dirty needle)
i didn't use heroine since 1980, but a year ago they told me that i have hep-c

i have medium fibroses and the doctors told me last year not to drink alcohol untill the cure
But i did drink tree bottles of beer a day

i'm starting a test-cure (for free!) next week, for 12 weeks, so i stopped drinking two days ago

i wonder in what condition my liver is now, i think i feel some small pain in my liver-region every now and then, but that's all

hopefully i don't have cirroses, or livercancer already
on Sofosbuvir & GS-5816 trial since 8 dec '14
gen 4 fibr 3

Offline Bucky

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:17:23 am »
i'm interested is this as well

i have hep-c for about 35 years (dirty needle)
i didn't use heroine since 1980, but a year ago they told me that i have hep-c

i have medium fibroses and the doctors told me last year not to drink alcohol untill the cure
But i did drink tree bottles of beer a day

i'm starting a test-cure (for free!) next week, for 12 weeks, so i stopped drinking two days ago

i wonder in what condition my liver is now, i think i feel some small pain in my liver-region every now and then, but that's all

hopefully i don't have cirroses, or livercancer already

Hello omeco,   Your doctor should have had you get an US which would indicate  liver problems like tumors or anything else abnormal.
Bucky

I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline omeco

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:24:11 am »
Hello, sorry I'm Dutch
What does US mean?
Is that an x-ray?
on Sofosbuvir & GS-5816 trial since 8 dec '14
gen 4 fibr 3

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:46:31 am »
US means ultrasound
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Me123

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 07:29:39 pm »
Correction: *Are we still at greater risk to develop other health issues than those who have never had hep c at all even after we are cured?*

My liver fxn was normal and still in "good shape" according to my doc.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:32:04 pm by Me123 »

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 10:40:42 pm »
SO far, the evidence suggests that as long as you don't have cirrhosis, then the SVR levels the playing field as if you didn't have hep C.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 04:20:34 pm »
How soon after completing the treatment are you able to drink? Is it right after you take your last dosage (far fetching I'm sure), or do you have to wait 12 weeks after your treatment?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 07:34:57 pm »
Some experts recommend never starting again, regardless of the outcome. A lot has to do with whether you have cirrhosis or not. If no liver damage and non-detectable, wait at least 12 to 24 weeks before drinking, and don't exceed one standard size drink a day if you are a woman, two if you are a man. Personally, I don't advise drinking at all. I worked hard for my SVR, and my liver matters a great deal to me. 
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 05:57:47 pm »
I was told after my biopsy that I had stage 2 fibrosis. So would it be okay for me to have a glass of wine after achieving an SVR12?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 08:58:57 pm »
I suggest you talk to your doc - we all work this out to fit our lives and values. That is a huge, personal decision. Would one glass be dangerous? No. The issue isn't one glass - it's the life that follows. If you are a man, and stick to no more than 2 glasses a day, one for women  - likely OK
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Mike

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 05:51:04 pm »
Alcohol after a cure? It depends on  your overall liver function.

If you have significant liver damage, the answer would be no. If you have a history of abusing alcohol, the answer would be no. If you plan on drinking like you did in college, or resuming the old keg stand behavior, the answer would be no. If you plan on drinking and driving, the answer is definitely no.

However, if these don't apply and you've consulted with your physician, the answer would be yes. It would be OK to consume alcohol in moderation.

Cheers, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.