Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:31:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 103
Total: 103

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question about life after treatment  (Read 14633 times)

Offline lajr

Question about life after treatment
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:52:53 pm »
Hello Lucinda,
I am new to this forum, not at all experienced with posting  and hoping I'm doing this right!
I am four weeks post s/o tx and just turned 63.  After other tx I've experienced, this was a piece of cake, side effects minimal and virus  undetectable after the first mo, and at 12 weeks.
I am wondering about body heat.  I'm way past menopause but have continued to have hot flashes, which during the last few weeks of treatment increased in temp and frequency significantly.  I am still experiencing this. I do have cirrhosis, and my blood tests are normal.  I'm wondering if this has been experienced by others. Can you give me any information on this heat problem? Thanks.
lajr

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:35:30 pm by lporterrn »

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Question about life after treatment
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:40:13 pm »
Hi,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on jumping in. You absolutely did it correctly. I took the liberty of moving your post to a new topic so it can get separate attention.

As to your question, I am not certain of the answer, since these S/O post-treatment issues are just starting to be noticed. If it was interferon treatment, I'd say yes, but can't say about S/O. Anyone else with this issue.

Because you have cirrhosis, I would mention it to your doc. Keep us in the loop, since someone down the line may have this issue.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline AnnW

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:52:08 am »
 :( My husband is 8 wks out from final
S/O dose.  HCV 1b has returned with
a viral load of 318,000.  He had been NDC
@ <43 at both 6 and 12 weeks of treatment
and Detected, still at <43.  Both ALT and
ALP spiked as well.  Doctor is very
surprised and "bummed" that the
treatment failed and wants to try
latest med (just approved Oct 10). 
Will update post as events unfold.
Wishing all of you the best possible
outcome with your treatment plan.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:20:49 am »
Thanks AnnW - please keep us posted as your husband's case is unusual, and I'd like to know what happens.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline steve

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:20:00 am »
Has anyone else had the virus return after treatment? I am 9 days post treatment and was non detectable after 2 weeks and my GI doesn't want me to take another blood  test until 6 months post treatment.

Offline hopefulAries

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:00:13 pm »
I am waiting on my viral load results. My GI dr did a post s/o viral load just after 4 days post treatment. Awaiting on DR to sign off on the results so the nurse can let me know. I am anxious to know the results. I will keep everyone updated.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 10:48:33 pm »
Hi Steve,
Although this is a time of waiting and wondering, perhaps you will get more responses if instead you ask, "Has anyone NOT had the virus return after treatment?" It is hard to believe it when you are the patient, but the vast majority are cured on the new treatments.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline steve

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 10:59:40 pm »
2 weeks off combo and still no side effects or withdrawal from olysio/sovaldi

Offline Mike

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 07:54:50 pm »
Hi Steve,

I was virus free at the end of treatment. I was tested at 12 and 24 weeks port treatment, and was still undetected.

I recv'd the final clinical note from my GI on Thursday, indicating "cured."

Best wishes, Mike
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:07:17 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline steve

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 09:38:54 pm »
Great news Mike, I am encouraged best of luck

Offline oldmarco

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 12:04:00 pm »
First day off the s/o. felt good not having to take pills this morning, I already feel better mentally. I'll have labs done first week in Dec. My last two labs Oct and Sept came back fine I didn't ask for the numbers though, but I will for 30 days after and most of all the 12 weeks after.I'll have to say this was nothing compared to back in 2001 when I took 3 shots a week of interfuron with ribavarin, I did that for 10 months and the doctor took me off it It was horrible and I was sick as a dog, of course being a street corner DR. I knew how to get relief, and it took a while to get back and I put together 8 yrs. During the last 8 years I have had blood work on a regular bases, ultrasounds couple liver bios where scaring and swelling was minimal and liver function levels were in range. So I am hopeful with this new tx. Grateful for the Dr. and his staff for getting me approved by ins, now I'll get a shingle shot for $8.77 because I shot right through the doughnut hole. All I can say is stick it out keep seeing your Dr. get you blood work done regularly, and may the god of your understanding be as good to you as the god of my understanding has been to me .

Offline Mike

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 01:06:22 pm »
Hi  oldmarco,

Congrats on finishing treatment! Looks like another dragon is slayed!!!

Best wishes for an SVR12 and a lifelong freedom from the pernicious Hep-C virus,

Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.