Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:45:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why are people still using Interferon & Ribavirin?  (Read 14161 times)

Offline Bucky

Why are people still using Interferon & Ribavirin?
« on: November 12, 2014, 12:29:20 pm »
I see a lot of new members who are starting treatments using Interferon and/or  Ribavirin along with one of the newer backbone meds.
With several newer less toxic meds, I has just wondering about the continued use of I&R since they are famous for not being too kind to the body.
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline Mike

Re: Why are people still using Interferon & Ribavirin?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 07:10:13 pm »
The short answer is because it works and has a proven track record.

I completed a 12 week course of SOL+INTF+RIBV, which, given my clinical picture, gave me the best chance for a cure. This included a review of S/O combination, and the prospects of Havroni, which, after reviewing early research based on a small sample size, would not have increased the cure rate for me (nor did the research include data relating to my clinical picture). This is still true.

In addition, most of the adverse reactions to INTF and RIBV were based on the fact that you had to complete a 48 week course, with most individuals experiencing significant side effect after 24 weeks. This was grueling, which I know, as I did a 48 week protocol as part of the clinical trials for PEG, and had a hard time around the 24 week threshold onward.

Moreover, there is also a proven and heavily researched track record confirming that RIBV+INTF  kills the virus when used in tandem. 

Sovaldi potentiates this many folds, and significantly reduced the treatment time (I did 12 weeks). It also increased the success rate for my clinical picture from 45% to 90%. S/O offered about a 70-80% chance for a cure.

Would I do it again or recommend it? Hell yes, as it works. 

The 12 week course was quick and the side effects were well tolerated.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Bucky

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 01:08:28 pm »
Mike,
I am glad it worked for you but as you know many forum members have adverse reactions to INTF or RIBV even with a 12 week course of treatment. My IDS does not use them anymore as she considers them obsolete and difficult for most people. 
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 01:51:53 pm »
That may be your particular doctors opinion. However, my treatment decision was based on the same research and numbers she would have looked at.

And, in looking at the numbers, my question to the IDS would have been: "Why are you recommending a treatment that only has an 80% chance of a cure, when there is one that has a 90% chance?"

Given the numbers, the research, my clinical picture and reviewing the various treatment options available, the treatment I underwent gave me the best chance for a cure, and, therefore, made the most sense. It is really that simple.

Mike

Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline lucky-in-lasVegas

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:54:41 am »
mY DOCTOR ALSO SAID INTERFERON AND RIBAVIRAN ARE OBSOLETE AND she said that NO DOCTORS use that treatment any more, however I do not qualify for any of the new drugs, I have to become stage 3 liver damage first. So in the meantime I do have to worry about family members accidently becoming infected because of me. what is your opion?

Offline JillLynn

• contracted 1973/ peg/rib 1999 & 2004/on harvoni
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 12:05:36 pm »
My neighbor is undetectable now using the sovaldi + ribaviron.     His virus was undetected at week 4.  He goes for his 6 mo check up this week to check viral load. 
So if the harvoni doesn't work for me......I'd definitely do what you did Mike.    I can do anything for 12 weeks!!!!!!  anything to cure this.  but the 48 weeks....never again!        Hoping the harvoni does the trick...but either way.....i'm curing this this time!  No matter what it takes....just no more ever ever 48 weeks of INT+RIB.     

Lucky in Vegas....i'd not share toothbrushes or razors with family members.  since it's blood to blood it's pretty hard to pass onto family members.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:09:22 pm by JillLynn »

Offline Mike

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 01:40:57 pm »
Hi JillLyn,

I wouldn't have done a 48 week course again either!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Mike

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 01:52:32 pm »
Hi  lucky-in-lasVegas,

Interferon may become obsolete as will RIBV. But not at this time. In fact, research shows that RIBV potentates Harvoni in those with geneotype 1 who have cirrhosis.

I would also note that, when I started treatment with SOL+INTF+RIBV, my viral load was 9,000,000. After one week of this combination (7 days), my viral load was measured at 103! That means in 7 short days, the combination killed 8,999,897 viruses. I would say that's a pretty impressive result.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline JillLynn

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:58:51 am »
Mornin Mike.......9 mill to 103 in 7 short days!  that is incredible.     Everytime I look at your stats I smile!  U R CURED!  that's so beautiful to see.
  Can you tell you are feeling better now that the virus is gone?   Fatigue wise and body aches?

thx.  Jill

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 11:49:59 am »
Hi JillLyn,

Yes I can feel a significant difference in my physical and mental well being. 110% better.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline gulee

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 01:12:01 am »
Hey, Mike,

Thanks for sharing! I am so happy that you are CURED! My doctor also prescribed me SOL+INTF+RIBV, and I am on my 10th week. My last blood test show no hep c virus detected! I have only two more weeks to go, though the side effects are getting a little worse, but I am so encouraged by your story!

Offline JillLynn

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 09:19:57 am »
Mike....AWESOME!!!!

Offline Mike

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 12:17:58 pm »
Hi Gulee,

I know what you mean. The last couple weeks were the roughest. But just think - two more shots and you're done! And thank be to God we didn't have to do a 48 week course. That was really tough!

I really hope you slay the dragon and there's no reason to think you wont!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.