Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:22:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 70
Total: 71

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: after sovaldi and olysio  (Read 26963 times)

Offline marivirginia

after sovaldi and olysio
« on: November 16, 2014, 08:25:37 pm »
On October 22, I finished 12 weeks on sovaldi and olysio. The weird pain on the right side has returned. I will test this week. Has anyone experienced the pain returning after treatment with S and O and still remained SVR? Thanks in advance!

Offline marivirginia

Re: after sovaldi and olysio
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:51:39 am »
so I am guessing after tx. no one has the pain in their right side

Offline BattleTheBeast

• Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:54:15 am »
Hi Marivirginia,

I have pain everywhere from the cirrhosis, I am still undergoing treatment myself with S/O myself. I would check with your doctor, could be a number of things going on.

~Mel~
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline marivirginia

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:09:01 am »
thanks!

Offline happy hepper

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 04:01:35 am »
Yes, I had the same experience! A month after treatment, it was really bugging me, I thought I pulled something. I saw my chiropractor and she said it felt like my liver was enlarged. I had an ultrasound and the P A said that my liver looked course, which was the first time I heard that. I looked it up and it is a term they use for a

looking liver.... don't know what to make of that. I'm now waiting to see my Dr., but meantime I feel a lot better, the pain is gone and I have more energy, starting to feel pretty good. Oh, and also I am undetected, have been since week 2 of s/o treatment.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 10:00:45 am »
Yes, I had the same experience! A month after treatment, it was really bugging me, I thought I pulled something. I saw my chiropractor and she said it felt like my liver was enlarged. I had an ultrasound and the P A said that my liver looked course, which was the first time I heard that. I looked it up and it is a term they use for a

looking liver.... don't know what to make of that. I'm now waiting to see my Dr., but meantime I feel a lot better, the pain is gone and I have more energy, starting to feel pretty good. Oh, and also I am undetected, have been since week 2 of s/o treatment.

Happy Hepper,
What stage are you? Doppler US are very good these days and see a lot. They are saying that the surface is no longer smooth indicating some liver damage. I have been told that for years and that my liver was enlarged as well even though my IDS could never feel it palpating my stomach. I think my physical size has something to do with it as I am a big guy (6' 5" 240lbs).
I too felt some strange things for a few weeks post treatment. I had pain and a strange fluttering under my rib cage. It appears that it was gas since my gut was adjusting to no meds and their effect not being present. I did have the mighty wind for a few weeks but that stopped.
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline happy hepper

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 01:24:45 pm »
Bucky, these are powerful drugs and it is all so new... I guess some withdrawal, and adjustment after treatment is to be expected.  I would like to think that from here it will just keep getting better and better, guess time will tell. You will get your news just in time for Christmas, and a good Christmas  it will be!
All of the best luck to you, Jane

Offline badbradley

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 09:25:42 pm »
 Hey       11 days post treatment feeling better and better. Building some muscle back - lost a little during treatment. Hard to explain the virus free feeling - just kind of like something's missing. Kind of like- the guy at work that should've been fired a long time ago, finally got fired!! Life is good and the livin's easy!
    Take care everyone.    BadBrad
Geno 1a
Sov/Oly 12wks - relapse
Har/Riba 12wks
Alt-16  Ast-17 SVR - 12
Alt-15  Ast-14 SVR - 24

Offline Mpetrecz

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 08:33:28 am »
I had exteem pain a month into treatment, but now 4 months post treatments nothing to speak of.  The pain latest about a month.  Form time to time I get a brief ache,, but again, nothing exteem or long.  Btw, I feel fantastic......

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 01:49:12 am »
hi, I have been off s/o since October 2014, I still have a lump in my right side and sometimes I cant sleep on that side due to it,, funny one time I was told to sleep on that side because its good for your heart so I always liked that side. I don't understand, I am less outgoing than I use to be,my mind just doesn't seem to be there. I am on other meds and have been the normal self I have always been until I did s/o, I figured it was the treatment that had my mind all over the place which if anyone had read my posts can attest to that.dam I don't know what it is and I am always trying to push gratitude instead of attitude and its not that because I have so much to be grateful for.i went to my Dr. not s/o one and iwas going to talk to him about it but all I wanted to do was get my scripts and get out of there case ya just get tired of explaining this and that and I cant explain it so that's that. my life is and has changed thru this whole process. I'm constantly listening to positive things and reading and ill just put it on and try to let it sink in as I try to sleep. I'm not really asking what I should do but just expressing where I am at.isolation has really went to another level and I wish I could just fall asleep and stay asleep. I said that to someone and they instantly went into ''you don't really mean ''checking out do you?''  no,, I just want to sleep and when I cant I just want to scream[I tried that ,dam that didn't work either] I have the world by the ass yet I cant find it[notrouble finding my ass,[excuse bad language if that's wat it is] I am aguy that always feels ''this too shall pass'' but this one seems so much different.dam I have had every type of test you can have before the hepc and I'm definitely tested out.i eat better than I ever did I drink good stuff better than I ever did, maybe I'm just being too good to myself. I went to a comedy show with some close people and it was weird, I felt like I was the only one in the place. I faked laughing a lot. I am at the point in my life if I dont have the answer's who does.and that's a truthful analogy I think. the darn woods aren't even the same. I haven't been on line[this is generally the only site I go towhen I do. I tried facebook for a couple of weeks but I wrote some stuff that I just didn't like when I pushed that old SEND button and I thought this isn't for me and if I'm not careful the MEN IN BLACK will be busting thru the doors. anyway that's truthfully where I am at at this hour[darn darn, I just looked at time and its ONLY 1;36.  sounds wild ugh? krissy congrats, sunrise your almost done and anyone else I'm sorry the dates don't jive when your not on line all the time.. I wish it was just a bad day, night, month, whatever, and some ways I just don't care ,, I wan ta just wan ta sleep,sleep,   'just' wille g  stay strong my friends

Offline BattleTheBeast

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 02:18:14 am »
Hey Willie,

Just sending you a hug and letting you know I can relate big time to everything you wrote. I'm hoping this switch to Harvoni helps me to rise out of whatever this is that's happening.

I just want to sleep all the time until I feel human again, not working out so well; actually 2:20 AM here.

Anyway you aren't alone and I wish you some peace and comfort.

~mel~
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline marivirginia

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 07:21:09 am »
 Sovaldi and Olysio are very powerful drugs. They mess with your DNA and the mitochondria. That is cell level stuff. I went to my family doc yesterday with similar complaints about after treatment on S and O. The joint pain is incredibly painful. I am a month and a half out from tx. Doc said to take it easy on myself; my body's been through hell. The brain fog is lifting and my mind is getting stronger, more lucid. My memory is coming back. I got something for sleep because I don't do well without it. Hang in there everyone; Willie G take it easy if you can. If the Hep c is gone, and it is so far for me, then the body will heal!

Offline BattleTheBeast

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 07:47:42 am »
Sovaldi and Olysio are very powerful drugs. They mess with your DNA and the mitochondria. That is cell level stuff. I went to my family doc yesterday with similar complaints about after treatment on S and O. The joint pain is incredibly painful. I am a month and a half out from tx. Doc said to take it easy on myself; my body's been through hell. The brain fog is lifting and my mind is getting stronger, more lucid. My memory is coming back. I got something for sleep because I don't do well without it. Hang in there everyone; Willie G take it easy if you can. If the Hep c is gone, and it is so far for me, then the body will heal!

Marivirginia,

And here I am thinking I am going nuts half the time, it's amazing how these drugs impact people in different ways. I am really praying the switch to Harvoni is going to allow me to feel more human. I've been in misery and nothing is snapping me out of it. I feel like a big whiner all the time because so many people are side effect free. I suppose it doesn't help how sick I was when this all started for me.

You are making me smile because I know that somewhere down this long road is a tiny light and I just need to keep on and I will get there too, thank you for sharing!

~Mel~
~Mel~

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline Bucky

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 09:50:11 am »
Hey Willie G,
Good to see you are posting.
My sleep is screwed up as well and although I don't wake up, six hours a night is about all I sleep. My emotions are high and I laugh or sometime cry very easily. This is not me at all as I have always kept my feeling internalized as men sometimes do.
Bucky

Offline Mike

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 11:22:25 am »
Here's my theory:

There is a documented  phenomenon called the rebound effect which relates to discontinuing drugs and medications. The rebound effect is simply that  the opposite  effect of the drug or medication occurs when the drug is discontnued.

Let's consider the rebound effect from cessation of sedatives (alcohol is a sedative). Since this class of drugs depress the central nervous system, the 'rebound effect' (withdrawal) is increased CNS activity which causes increased anxiety, restlessness and sleep disturbances. This effect is very visible in alcohol withdrawal, which can occur in as a little as 8 hours after the last drink, which is manifest in the morning tremors and shakes (i.e., the person who wakes up in the morning and his or her hands are trembling, which stops as soon as alcohol is consumed).

The rebound effect stimulants (amphetamine, cocaine et. al.) is the the opposite. Since these drugs increase CNS activity, the rebound effect includes decreased energy, depression, increased sleep and so on.

This phenomenon may explain some of the issues experienced after Hep-C treatment.

In addition, many of us with Hep-C have experienced decades of chronic fatigue, depressed cognitive functioning (Hep-C fog) and other side effects our systems have been fighting for years.

Once the Hep-C virus is eradicated in the body, there may be a 'rebound', as the body moves back towards a pre-infection balance.

The science of homeostatic equilibrium (e.g. the tendency of a system, esp. the physiological system of higher animals, to maintain internal stability, owing to the coordinated response of its parts to any situation or stimulus tending to disturb its normal condition or function) may explain some of this.

Since the body has a natural tendency to maintain homeostatic equilibrium, over the course of an active infection, the body has  made systemic adjustments because of the chronic Hep-C infection (in my case over decades).

Stated differently, the body has used a lot of energy fighting the infection and the associative side effects. What happens to all this energy once it is no longer needed to fight the infection? Does it disappear overnight or is there a transition?

My feelings are that there is a pharmacological and biological 'rebound', as we adjust to being treatment and HCV free, which may explain some of this.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Bucky

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 11:34:38 am »
Here's my theory:

There is a documented  phenomenon called the rebound effect which relates to discontinuing drugs and medications. The rebound effect is simply that  the opposite  effect of the drug or medication occurs when the drug is discontnued.

Let's consider the rebound effect from cessation of sedatives (alcohol is a sedative). Since this class of drugs depress the central nervous system, the 'rebound effect' (withdrawal) is increased CNS activity which causes increased anxiety, restlessness and sleep disturbances. This effect is very visible in alcohol withdrawal, which can occur in as a little as 8 hours after the last drink, which is manifest in the morning tremors and shakes (i.e., the person who wakes up in the morning and his or her hands are trembling, which stops as soon as alcohol is consumed).

The rebound effect stimulants (amphetamine, cocaine et. al.) is the the opposite. Since these drugs increase CNS activity, the rebound effect includes decreased energy, depression, increased sleep and so on.

This phenomenon may explain some of the issues experienced after Hep-C treatment.

In addition, many of us with Hep-C have experienced decades of chronic fatigue, depressed cognitive functioning (Hep-C fog) and other side effects our systems have been fighting for years.

Once the Hep-C virus is eradicated in the body, there may be a 'rebound', as the body moves back towards a pre-infection balance.

The science of homeostatic equilibrium (e.g. the tendency of a system, esp. the physiological system of higher animals, to maintain internal stability, owing to the coordinated response of its parts to any situation or stimulus tending to disturb its normal condition or function) may explain some of this.

Since the body has a natural tendency to maintain homeostatic equilibrium, over the course of an active infection, the body has  made systemic adjustments because of the chronic Hep-C infection (in my case over decades).

Stated differently, the body has used a lot of energy fighting the infection and the associative side effects. What happens to all this energy once it is no longer needed to fight the infection? Does it disappear overnight or is there a transition?

My feelings are that there is a pharmacological and biological 'rebound', as we adjust to being treatment and HCV free, which may explain some of this.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes, Mike

I think that you are correct.
Bucky

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 03:39:38 pm »
wow.thanks all and MIKE it makes since there is a transiston period.all you wrote on that makes since anyway,, man I had     no answers in my head,, and someone said ''your just finding who you are after all these years'' my reply was'' im not just finding myself im ''lost'',, that is the best way I could explain it,, I am glad I don't drink but I understand your scenario, I take Zoloft, lamictal and temazepam to sleep and have for years since my brothers died and all kind of crazy stuff that went down in 1995, plus that's when I gave up the booze but I had been somewhat stabil within a few years and better as the dr and I went back and forth trying to find the ''majic bullet'' to feel comfortable in my own skin so I do kmow what DIFFERNT is [oh yeah plus my pain med I take, for years once again. I did not add or take away anything during treatment or now but ill tell ya I get to the point where I want to down those temazepams but of course that would be ''the sleep'' I am referring to,,, I wondr how long this is goim
ng to last or maybe it screwd me up where I have to change things around,, the drs are good for a lot of things but like my hep dr said when I asked about other peoples experiences on this new stuff and he said ''willie your the first one I have ever had on these two meds but it has a good track record so far as far as what I have read and he is a good gastro ,hep, cancer dr... I don't want to bame the s/o ' it is just what it is. I go back and look at some of my old posts and see I was off the wall on some but I figured that was intensified because of meds so I am going to go back and read your post again because I hace a problem understanding sometimes. its hard to focus. I was on amphetamine salts for that for awhile and that seemed to help concentrating a lot and I had the opposite reaction where others it would make them SPEED but in my case I opposite effect. I got off of it just by my choice because of the paranoia of the old days when I took drugs to just get high,, maybe that would help again. I love to read, listen etc. but I have had no desire since whatever this stage is so I just put on positive stugg on that I can LISTEN too and just keep doing it over and over.. thankyou so much and thanks to all you other folks.  I guess I have to find that majic bullet again. take care, ''willie g'' I am just getting irrated doing spell check where before I felt good about it....

Offline Mpetrecz

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 09:28:28 pm »
Wow Mike.  Excellent read.  I was so tired and had become quiet in my life.  Now 4 months post s/o...I'm crazy energetic and doing so much in a day, I can't believe it.  I've always been an insomniac.....and I actually find myself going to sleep pretty quick, most of the time.  Today, I cared for the little animals...dogs and cats.ll.got hubby off to work...visited some friends....grocery shopping...rode my horse....made and baked lasagna and fried ravioli....fed 5 grand daughters and 7 adults...cleaned up...did the floors....and am ready to start watching breaking bad.....and right now I'm bored,  crazy energy......a year ago, I couldn't shower and do my hair without resting for an hour afterwards, 
So what's this about changing at dna level?

Offline sunrise

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 09:04:19 am »
Hey willie g. Great to see you here. sorry to hear you're having trouble sleeping I'm also having trouble with being out around people myself. I do deal with the public at work so after work I just want to go home. Also I do have a pain in my side it seems to be subsiding but its still there. I only have 9 more days thanks for checking in on me willie. tthanks Mike, I really needed to hear something scientific about what's going to happen. I did have an intense headache 2 days ago it lasted for 2 days even with aspirin. That is subsided now it's just these dang ankles I've been having trouble with. I'm hoping that we all recover and get better and have a wonderful holiday much love... Sunrise

Offline badbradley

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 09:23:35 am »
Hey Sunrise     
       Sorry to hear you're still having some foot issues.You said you've been working OT lately. Hopefully after the Holidays work will slow some. I can relate to not wanting to be around people after work. I deal with the public as well. I have a hard time this time of year - Cold and flu season. It's unbelievable the number of people who don't cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze. What's more is some cough right in your face and think nothing of it! P's me off! I think I'm starting a cold.
     Your stop is right around the corner. Hoping you have some improvements after treatment.  Check ya later.        Brad
Geno 1a
Sov/Oly 12wks - relapse
Har/Riba 12wks
Alt-16  Ast-17 SVR - 12
Alt-15  Ast-14 SVR - 24

Offline sunrise

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 09:32:43 am »
Thanks Brad !
       I know right? People sit there and cough and sneeze in your face. Yeah I've only got 8 days left as of today I can't believe it's over almost. Hope you're doing okay I'm sorry about your cold starting take some vitamin C. I'm off to work right now. Yup after the holidays it should slow down thank goodness. When do you go for your next blood test to find out if you're still have undetected? stay in touch best of luck have a happy holiday best wishes... Sunrise

!

Offline badbradley

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 09:48:27 am »
I finished meds Nov. 10 UD. I'm waiting out the 12 wks. for SVR12 blood work. I'm OK with just enjoying things the way they are - UD. If things go south -  Kay sarha sarha! Feb 3 will be my next draw.
                        Happy Holidays to you.
                                                         Brad
Geno 1a
Sov/Oly 12wks - relapse
Har/Riba 12wks
Alt-16  Ast-17 SVR - 12
Alt-15  Ast-14 SVR - 24

Offline Bucky

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 09:58:13 am »
I finished meds Nov. 10 UD. I'm waiting out the 12 wks. for SVR12 blood work. I'm OK with just enjoying things the way they are - UD. If things go south -  Kay sarha sarha! Feb 3 will be my next draw.
                        Happy Holidays to you.
                                                         Brad

Hello folks,
After S&O is wonderful! I just got up from another 9 hour sleep but I was really tired last night. It wasn't fatigue but exhaustion from the final yard clean up of the season. I am so happy to have the energy to work 10 hours at a physically demanding job and not hit "the wall".
Bucky

Offline petra

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 12:40:50 pm »
By the way Bucky... congrats on reaching SRV at 12 weeks.
Soooo hopeful as more and more people reach this goal!
Petra
User Name: petra
Height: 5' 7" Weight: 118
Diagnosed: June 2014
Infected: unsure of when
geno type: 2
Biopsy Score:no fibro scan or biopsy
Pre treatment: 3.5 million vl, other blood work normal
TX start date: October 17, 2014
Treatment Protocol: 12 weeks of 400mg of Sovaldi and 800 mg of Ribavirin per day
Side Effects: fatigue, itchiness.

Viral load:
3.5 million at start of treatment
18 at 4 weeks
undetected at 6, 8, and 12 weeks.
SVR at 12 weeks after treatment

Offline sunrise

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 03:15:18 pm »
Same here Bucky. I hope you stay UD. Let us know

Offline Bucky

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 04:22:56 pm »
Same here Bucky. I hope you stay UD. Let us know

Hi sunrise,
The first group of people that my IDS treated with S&O had reached 24 weeks EOT as I hit that 12 weeks EOT. Excitedly, ALL of this first group except for the two that failed and relapsed at 12 weeks were SVR24.
I had told her about my plans to return to work dependent on me being SVR12. She said that if I was SVR12, then to not be concerned about a relapse because the percentage was so very small and that many of doctors at the last conference that she spoke with considered SVR12 cured.
They are not quite at that point yet at my hospital, but I felt confident enough to contact the Director of HR and verbally agree to return to work part time. I am limited to 29 hours a week because of my retirement package/ pension. I go the 30th to sign a contract for a year.
I am not looking back, but only forward with great confidence that my damn Dragon is DEAD!
Bucky
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:30:54 pm by Bucky »

Offline sunrise

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 04:57:45 pm »
that is so awesome Bucky!
    it gives me a lot of hope I just have to wait now for the end of treatment which is in 8 days. Then my 4 week test I guess I'll know by then whether my chances of relapse are going to happen...good luck going back to work and have a very Merry Christmas and a healthy New Year... Sunrise

Offline bh4sons

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 10:23:16 pm »
I thought this was a good thread to put this in, since Marivirginia had similar symptoms.  I am about 7 weeks post treatment.

I experienced some bloating and discomfort in the liver area during the later parts of treatment (which I had not been experiencing prior to treatment). 

For the last week or so I am experiencing a lot of bloating (stomach fells hard, even when I haven't eaten much) and discomfort on my right side (liver area).  Just curious to see if other have had these symptoms.

Offline sunrise

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 10:40:13 pm »
Hi bh
      Ive been off tx 3 1/2 weeks. Still getting nagging pain in liver. I dont get bloating like that, but have gained 35 lbs thru tx. Probably should talk to doc about that because that is a symptom of  this disease, just to be on the safe side. Best wishes Sunrise

Offline bh4sons

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 11:10:53 pm »
I have an appt for Monday.  I had already made an appt for Feb 23, which is my 12 week post treatment appt, but wanted to get it checked out.  I was stage 3 before treatment.  I have not experienced this prior to the later stages of treatment.

Thanks Sunrise.

Offline sunrise

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 11:34:30 pm »
Well I sure hope it is nothing.  Keep us informed about it . I worry about us all and new creepy symptoms popping up. We took some heavy duty pharmies.. Blessings Sunrise

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.