Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:40:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 143
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 91
Total: 91

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: harvoni  (Read 7902 times)

Offline workingonit

harvoni
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:22:57 am »
It's refreshing to read  commentary and the comments of others fighting Hep C. I think I have had HCV for 43 years. I believe I got it when I was stationed in South Korea when I was 17. Every annual physical I had after I got out of the Army shows elevated liver markers. The doc would always ask me if I drank alcohol. I always told him that I drank a few beers a few times a week which was true. He told me I should be cautious about my alcohol consumption.

I never thought much about it. I changed doc's in the early 90's and the liver test came back the same. The Doc said there was a test that he could do that was new to rule some things out. The test came back hep C pos. He referred me to a gastro doc who confirmed the hep c Geno 1a. That doc referred me to another doc who was doing clinical trials for Infergen and ribavirin. I got in the study and went to undetectable but tested positive again after a month or so.(side effects were pretty bad) lost a lot of weight, felt strange, irritable and pretty bad all the time. It was hard to keep working, but I did. It was a good thing my job does not require physical work

After about a year my doc told me he wanted to try Pegasus and ribavirin, the latest thing. So I did. The results were the same, including the side effects. So my Doc put me on a maintenance dose of the Peg. After about 6 months of that I told him I had to take a break

After about a year he put me on a daily dose of Interferon, one shot a day. I could only do that for about 2 months it was awful. It almost did me in.

I told the Doc that I was done with treatments until something new came out without Interferon. From that point, I started keeping up with research and the progress of new treatments. I went for checkups with my gastro doc once a year, had blood work and sonograms. A few liver biopsies and such. I never developed cirrhosis, The treatments could have been a factor in that.. My liver markers were always slightly elevated. I rekon I have been lucky. I had been following the development of Harvoni. I was excited when it was approved by the FDA in October. I went to my Doc in November and told him that is what I wanted. Tomorrow Dec 18th will be my 19th day on Harvoni. Wow! what a breeze this is compared to the other stuff I have done. I went to my primary care doc for my annual phys last week and my liver markers are in the normal range. I know that is not an indication of being cured but it is encouraging. only 65 more days after tomorrow. I take the pill in the morning around 5:00 AM with my BP meds. No notable side effects. First few days I noticed a slight headache around mid afternoon. I started drinking water regularly during the day and have not had one since.

I have been married to the same lady for 40years and have three children. I had everyone tested when I found out I had hep c, and none of them tested positive.My next appointment with my gastro Doc is Jan 5th.  I will make another comment after I finish treatment. Good luck to all of you in your Fight!

Offline badbradley

Re: harvoni
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 09:28:49 am »
WOI,      Sounds like your having a n easy ride so far. Best of luck with treatment.
                                              Brad
Geno 1a
Sov/Oly 12wks - relapse
Har/Riba 12wks
Alt-16  Ast-17 SVR - 12
Alt-15  Ast-14 SVR - 24

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.