Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:34:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 93
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: denied for Harvoni from insurance!  (Read 11016 times)

Offline Daddysgirl

denied for Harvoni from insurance!
« on: January 10, 2015, 01:09:44 pm »
Now getting help through specialty Co. Anyone go down this road I'm 3 weeks into that part .of course anxious

Offline HHburme

• Harvoni start 12/13/14 12wks UD/24wk DET
Re: denied for Harvoni from insurance!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 04:01:55 pm »
I was turned down initially. My Dr wrote an appeal and went through Walgreen's specialty pharmacy and then was approved. It took 3 weeks or so. Hang in there.
JB
infected age 19, blood transfusion 1977, detected 2003  GT 1a, Harvoni relapse 06/15, Clinical Trial Study for SOF/VEL GS-9857 start 02/16. SVR12 Cured 08/16

Offline BattleTheBeast

• Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 02:51:58 pm »
I think they deny almost everyone at first these days.

If you could share who you are working with maybe we can provide some additional feedback for you on the things that worked for us.

Mel
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline Daddysgirl

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:00:11 pm »
First turned down Twice from B.C.B.S. Then G.I. TurnrEd it over to specialty Pharm. it's been a month now . We should qualify by our income!  I'm grade 1 stage 1 ,I have talked to them twice . Seems like a year!  Know there people a lot sicker ! It's been 7 months since they told me its active,not sure if that the right term? I've know about a year and a1/2.

Offline HHburme

• Harvoni start 12/13/14 12wks UD/24wk DET
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 12:39:59 pm »
Daddysgirl.....hoping and praying you will get your meds.
infected age 19, blood transfusion 1977, detected 2003  GT 1a, Harvoni relapse 06/15, Clinical Trial Study for SOF/VEL GS-9857 start 02/16. SVR12 Cured 08/16

Offline Roger

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:05:50 pm »
Frankly, I think that most doc's offices do not know how to write up a decent request for the insurance companies.  Ditto when it comes to writing up an appeal.

They leave out important medical history facts (about you), they take things for granted (like the insurance companies have ESP), they don't "elaborate" on your medical problems enough, and so on.  All too many doc's offices treat this like they are writing a regular prescription.  Getting a $94,500 12 week prescription ok'd is A LOT different than getting something approved for a headache!  Yet most of these people, doing your paperwork, treat it as such.

You have got to be "proactive" (and polite - but assertive). 

First - call your insurance company's customer service line and get the exact department's name and fax number that your doc must use, when submitting your paperwork.  This is important, as the insurance companies tend to play games here, and will stall your order for days.

You have got to have your short list of personal medical issues in hand and "talk" directly with the person in your doc's office that writes up the paperwork.  Do not assume that they understand your situation.  Your file may be thick enough that they will not read it all - and they will leave out something important to your success of being approved.  Many prior illnesses will disqualify you for the cheaper - dangerous treatments. Use your medical history to your advantage. It's your life!

You then have to ask that person in your doc's office "when" (date and time of day)  she/he is going to fax the paperwork and to "what" fax number and department at your insurance company.  If the department and/or fax number differs from what the insurance company told you - correct her/him.  Doc's offices get this wrong ALL THE TIME, and the insurance company will stall your order to the legal limit of the law - without letting you know.

On the date your doc's office told you, and 30 minutes after the time they told you - call them and ask them if they have faxed your file to the insurance company yet.

Follow-up, Follow-up, Follow-up! And be polite, but assertively proactive.  Remember, this means more to you than it does to them. It's your life.

If they haven't done it yet, ask them why, and when they plan on faxing it. Explain to them that you want this info because you are going to follow-up with the insurance company and need to know that they have sent it before you call the company.  Ask her/him to call you just as soon as it's faxed so you can begin the follow-up process with the insurance company.

Once the insurance company has the info, give it 15 - 30 minutes and then call customer service.  Tell them that your file is there and ask them to check and verify it for you.  If they play the "wrong fax or department" game with you, ask him/her to call your doc's office and straighten it out for you.  Have your contact's name & direct number ready, and get ready to be on hold a while.

These steps are important, as these people play games everyday. Everyday they stall you - it's money in their pocket.

Be polite and be proactive - it's your life! 

You can also usually check on your insurance companies web pages what their criteria is for approving Harvoni.  Many companies have a Stage 2 criteria, but "try" for Stage 3.  Check it out, as it can help you in the long run!

Genotype 1a
2006 - Dx
2009 Biopsy      - Stage 2
2013 FibroScan - Stage 2
2014 FibroSure - Stage 3

Started Harvoni 11.21.2014 Viral Load - 313,593
12.26.2014 - UND (at 5 weeks)
At 8 Weeks - UND
EOT 02/12/15 - UND
12 Week EOT Blood Work - UND

Offline BattleTheBeast

• Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 06:18:55 pm »
Great job explaining Roger! You are so right, we have to be persistent and proactive but not forget to be polite!

I know it can be frustrating but you are normally speaking to someone who "works there" and they are more likely to do all they can for you if you are polite vs. any other approach.

Mel
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.