Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:01:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Occult Hep C  (Read 7474 times)

Offline bp9191

Occult Hep C
« on: March 02, 2015, 05:43:00 pm »
I have been reading the scant literature about Occult Hep C ( people who test positive on the Anti- Hep C antibody test, and Negative on the RNA PCR test but harbor the virus in their liver cells).

It appears without a liver biopsy, one cannot rule out occult hep C.

So, I am trying ( without success ) to determine if the Anti-Hep C antibody test can be cross reactive with other antibodies ( either IgM or IgG from other infections  ) and therefore be false positive for Hep C..........

Or,
I'd like to know how Long an actual Hep C antibody can live... maybe there's no actual research on this. The Irish study told of antibodies that were 20 something years old.. but I have not read about any living for over 40 years.

I do under stand how memory B & T cells pass their memories of past infections on to their progeny... and the anti-Hep C test does not test for these cells (it tests for actual antibodies).

Thanks for any info.
bp9191

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Occult Hep C
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 10:08:02 pm »
Antibodies are produced by your body when it was fighting hep c. Once exposed to hep c you will always test positive for the antibodies to the virus.

For example if you either ever had the measles or were vaccinated against the measles your body produced antibodies to the virus to prevent future infection by the measles virus. Antibodies are a part of you part of your immune systems defenses.

Unfortunately the hep c virus is hard to eradicate and our bodies often cannot defeated the virus but a lucky approximately 25 % are able to beat the virus on their own without taking medicines.

But once exposed you will forever test positive for antibodies to hepatitis c

I hope that helps
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Occult Hep C
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:12:31 pm »
http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/hepatitis-c-antibody#2

The Hepatitis C Antibody Test

The first test doctors usually order is the hepatitis C antibody test.

When harmful foreign agents like bacteria, fungi, parasites and viruses enter the human body, the body’s immune system makes special proteins. These are called antibodies. The human body makes millions of different antibodies, each tailored to fight millions of different invaders.

The antibodies try to neutralize or destroy the foreign invader before it can do harm. The hepatitis C antibody test looks for hepatitis C antibodies in the bloodstream. If they’re present, so is the virus. However, it doesn’t prove there’s an active, current infection.

How Do Antibodies Fight Harmful Invaders?

Hepatitis C antibodies are made by blood plasma cells to attack only the hepatitis C virus. They bind to it and set it up for attack by other parts of the immune system.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), up to a quarter of the people who are infected by the hepatitis C virus clear it from their bodies without treatment. Others will develop liver scarring that will progress to cirrhosis (a state where the liver is so scarred it can barely function), liver failure, or liver cancer over time.

Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.