Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:49:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Could this be Hep c?  (Read 8377 times)

Offline Rich73

Could this be Hep c?
« on: April 18, 2015, 05:52:03 am »
Three years ago I started getting pains around my liver. The Dr felt it and said it was inflamed and sent me for an ultrasound which showed fatty liver. Bloodtests were normal. However, I began to get a very white tongue, it was white all over, not in patches. The top of my tongue was red and sore, and I had a burning sensation which went on for months. I had stools which were soft and wither yellow or pale, sometimes quite mucosy. Since this , I have also got really sweaty, quickly, whenever go out for a walk. Never had that before. Urine has been a dark Amber, too. Before my last hep c test, stp 2011, the urine was this colour and the Dr said it was dehydration

The pain is in the liver/ribs area, but passes to the other side and then in to the miiddle. Sometimes I feel like the liver is twisting inside me as I sleep. The pain is a sharp, stabbing pain that can last for several hours. One doctor said if it's in the ribs it could be costochondritis, inflammation of the cartilage in the ribs, but I'm sure its the actual liver  as most of the pain is in that specific area.

fast forward to November last year, I again went back to the dr who took blood and said the alt/ast were high. Repeated in January, high again,  in February they'd dropped quite a bit but still a bit high. Billrubin levels are normal.

CBC is normal.

I have not had sex with anyone, only kissed two guys several months before the White tongue etc, I've shared no razors, toothbrushes, no tattoos, never done any drugs, ever.

Does it sound like I could have hep c? Would the alt and ast and billrubin all be high if it was hep c? The doctors aid hepatitis would make the figures in their thousands.....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:18:02 pm by Rich73 »

Offline Mike

Re: Could this be Hep c?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 02:27:03 pm »
Since  this has been going on for a couple years, I would assume your doctor screened you for Hep-C.

ALT and AST levels can wax and wane with Hep-C. In fact, I was infected for over 30 years and my levels were always in the upper limits of normal or slightly above on occasion.

I would probably have your doctor order another HCV screen just to be sure.

These tests should be conclusive (either way) at this juncture.

Best wishes, Mike

Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Rich73

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 03:44:24 pm »
hi Mike,

No, they haven't screened me for it.

They say it's just fatty liver (the ultrasound did show this).

My most recent liver function test had gone down in numbers, and we're only mildly raised, and the doctor said he was at sifted with those.

That's why I'm woried, but also because i can see no obvious transmission route.

last hepatitis tests were done in September 2011, all negative. The symptoms started in march the following year.

Offline atomic dog

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 06:01:05 pm »
There should be no problem diagnosing Hep C. It's possible you could have another variety of Hep, but even then a blood test should give a definitive diagnosis. It could very well be fatty liver--have you modified your diet as a result? I would suggest going to a second doctor or switching doctors if this one is not able to help you. One thing you learn from having a disease like this is that you need to advocate for yourself. Don't be shy about it. Doctors don't know everything and will never tell you that they don't know. Be tough.
Infected 1969, dirty needle
Geno 1a
Stage 2 fib, some necrosis
TX naive
1/29/15 ALT61; AST43
2/16/15 Started Harvoni; VL 1.5 m;
2/19/15 ALT40; AST24
2/29/15 ALT29; AST25
3/9/15 ALT28; AST25; 
3/9/15 < 20 IU/mL (3 wks) HCV RNA remains 'detected'
3/24/15 ALT30; AST25;
3/24/15 <20 IU/mL (5 wks) HCV RNA
4/10/15 <20 IU/ml (7 weeks) HCV RNA
4/20/15 ALT36; AST27
4/20/15 UND
5/11/15 UND (EOT); ALT33; AST25
6/11/15 UND; ALT 34; AST 29
8/14/15 UND
11/15/15 SVR, 24-wk EOT

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.