Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:58:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 126
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 93
Total: 93

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone ever seen a HCV RNA QN PCR test like this??  (Read 18299 times)

Offline newbie1111

Anyone ever seen a HCV RNA QN PCR test like this??
« on: May 04, 2015, 12:57:14 pm »
TPARR      4/19/2015           3/18/2014

4/26/2015 See Comment

Result: HCV RNA detected
2,600,000 iu/ml plasma  Log 6.41

Reference range: No HCV RNA detected

HCV RNA Interp  A See Comment   HCV-P          Not Detected

The first date is the date of this test, the second date at the top is the last test I had.  Thanks.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Anyone ever seen a HCV RNA QN PCR test like this??
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:40:09 pm »
It is a little confusing, but it looks like your viral load is 2.6 million.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 04:04:41 am »
Hi newbie and welcome to the forum

I read somewhere that what they are saying here is
"Reference range: No HCV RNA detected"

Meaning that a normal test result is "No HCV RNA detected" so that is the "Reference range"

But your result was

"HCV RNA detected 2,600,000 iu/ml plasma  Log 6.41"

It appears as Lucinda said you have a viral load of 2.6 million.

Have you discussed this result with your doctor?

Good Luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline newbie1111

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 08:16:45 am »
Yes it is confusing, and yes the nurse said she had never seen anyones tests do what mine have in 20 years.  She said if they did regular blood test it would not be detected??  Which I noticed they did plasma instead of whole blood.  I was diagnosed 2012. I have totally changed my life, what I eat, Mass doses vitamin c, now my body won't even handle the mass doses. I also used some other vitamins/minerals, supplemental especially silymarin.  All my other tests have always been within range, so I took control.  Lately my blood feels right, my bones are moving and cracking, and I feel good.  My nurse said I might want to get in a study so that the doctors could see what my body was made of.  But now I have a new team and not completely satisfied. They are too fast for me. I also took a couple doses of IV ascorbic acid but could not afford the 3 times a week and to get up to 100,000 mg. It was about 200 bucks a pop. There was a person that had a study going on this but they pulled her funding as she could not get subjects to participate that were drug free and that would show up 3 times a week.   
A Lot of my swelling and inflammation is subsiding, and like I said, it is manageable. I eat fruits, vegetables, small portions of pork/hamburger, lots of water, i do not drink alcohol and haven't for many years. My viral load a year ago was almost 9,000,000. My tests were being performed by quest but now by some independent lab.  They are working on getting me approved for harvoni.  We will see how that works out. I just wanted to see if anyone had ever seen a test like this. The new team I have now, the nurse acted like it was no big deal. But it is like I said my old nurse said in 20 years in this business, she has never seen anyones tests do what mine did. I am hopeful that this is a disease even if not approved for standard care of treatment, that I can control some aspects of the disease progression by the way I live and eat and supplement. I use to be able to take as much vitamin c as i could pump in my body, but it is not like that anymore, In fact, if i take close to 3000 mg, my body is almost not using it.  Tells me something has changed within me.  I also walk half mile every chance i get daily several times a day if i can.  I take it easy on myself and when I am fatigued I rest.  I have cut almost all sugar from my diet including pop. Donuts though are my downfall and I still smoke.  I am working on that as I now roll my own cigarettes so it is not as easy to go through pack after pack as it is when you buy them.  Thank you all for comments.  I did call lab but they would not talk about any results as many suggested that.  I am just taking things a day at a time.  :))  and staying positive. 

Offline newbie1111

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:25:30 am »
Also, I should have made mention that the comment as everyone has said did not make any sense that they would not find hep c in a regular blood test.  If you test positive you should always test positive. The only thing I could get out if was that
maybe I cleared the virus whole blood so they did plasma which is more sensitive, but still that does not make any sense because if it is detected in plasma, it should be more in a whole sample by my understanding please correct me if I am mistaken on that. Thus that would explain why she was just as surprised at my lab results and no one else can make sense of them. My test last time was tested against the  less than 43 cutoff. This test was tested against the less than 15 cutoff this year and took one week instead of 3 days turnaround time. 

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 12:46:02 pm »
The always test positive refers to the antibody test not the test for the virus itself once you have been infected with hep c even if you clear the virus you will test positive to antibodies for the virus.

Never heard of a plasma test for hep c all I do is the HCV RNA by PCR at lab corp

Good luck on treatment may you beat hep c and be free of the virus
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:27:12 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline newbie1111

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 01:59:12 pm »
Thank you Lynn,
 F0 today!  :) :)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 05:07:39 pm »
The confusing part is the last line,  "HCV RNA Interp  A See Comment   HCV-P          Not Detected" and without seeing it on paper, I am only guessing that this is actually info rather than a result report. In short, I am inferring.

Plasma vs serum shouldn't matter - what is the big flag here is the 2.6 mil - I don't know any explanation for it being on that page other than to report your viral load.

As for the 9 to 3 mil being unusual (I think that is what the nurse is saying), I am going to blow her bubble here, it happens all the time. Viral load doesn't correlate to anything (unless you are on treatment and it becomes non-detectable). Viral load and ALT go up and down. However, what matters is that all important fibrosis stage, and there is your affirmation that you are doing the right things. I don't know about the supplements, but yes to the lifestyle changes. That is the hard stuff - any one can pop milk thistle, but to give up drinking, smoking, and walk a lot - that is the hard, life-saving stuff that really counts. Good for you!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline newbie1111

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 07:35:26 am »
Thank you Lucinda, and no the nurse did not think it unusual that the viral load changed, I believe what she was talking about was the comment on this report. It is not on any of my other ones. Yes the F0 was definitely good. My saving grace was that I quit drinking many many years ago about prolly 15 to be exact and wasnt diagnosed until 2012. So that was definitely a big plus for me. As far as the other lifestyle changes well, I have been working on my body and health since I was diagnosed.  The way I feel is you can not work on changing something if you don't know it is there.  So the diagnosis was key, so that I could work on improving from there.  It is really good to talk to everyone.  I am not crazy about starting treatment. I really would like to continue with my natural regimen for another year. I wish more people that really were sick and needed it more than me, could find it easier to obtain.  There are people that have waited for years and years for this and can not afford it, and for that, i would assume go without as I am not as sick as many others.  I wish everyone the best, and hope they make it more accessible to them.  Thank you Lucinda, you are very knowledgeable about the field, and I am sure that you have helped many with your expertise.  Thanks again. 

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 04:33:26 pm »
You sound like an amazing person. Never have I heard anyone say, "There are people that have waited for years and years for this and can not afford it, and for that, i would assume go without as I am not as sick as many others." The world would be a far better place with more hearts like yours.

If it makes it easier to go ahead, think about this: Your chance of contracting all kinds of cancers is increased with HCV; lymphoma is more likely in earlier, rather than later stages. Also, HCV tends to progress in with age, and it is not a linear fashion. I know people who had minimal disease, and bam - hit 70 and faced cirrhosis. Finally, living without a virus that can infect others is the most wonderful feeling of freedom in the world.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Bituman

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 10:13:37 pm »
You sound like an amazing person. Never have I heard anyone say, "There are people that have waited for years and years for this and can not afford it, and for that, i would assume go without as I am not as sick as many others." The world would be a far better place with more hearts like yours.

The Truth, wow. 
Age = 59, male, infected likely 1975
DX 07/07 GT 1a
Biopsy 2007:  GR 1, stage 0, HAI = 2/18
Since 2007:  1.48 MM < VL < 11 MM, avg = 5.64 MM
IL28B=CT
1/26/15, AST=43, ALT=55, VL=3.59 MM
2/5 Start Harvoni 12 weeks; Treat naive
2/20 AST=29, ALT=24, VL=59
3/6 AST=29, ALT=25, VL<15
3/19 AST=24, ALT=22, VL=undet
4/3 AST=29, ALT=25, VL=undet
4/30 EOT, AST=22, ALT=20, VL=undet
5/29 EOT+4, AST=20, ALT=19, VL=undet SVR
7/24 EOT+12, AST=23, ALT=18, VL=undet SVR
10/16 EOT+24, AST=22, ALT=17, VL=undet SVR

Offline newbie1111

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 08:49:23 am »
Yes, This is The Truth, that I want those sick and suffering to be healed.   And I want to rely on something much greater than I for my healing.  I can certainly sacrifice medication much needed by someone else to save their life.  I still have plenty of time, am well stabilized, and most certainly am not afraid. I hope Gilead can see, that it is not just the poor or the rich, not just the ones sickest or not as sick, or with insurance or without, that need this cure.  When they recognize that this treatment needs to be affordable to all, then I may be more willing to proceed with treatment.  Until then, good health to all and hang in there.  :) Live each day for today. Enjoy every moment as if it is your last! I pray the patient program gets opened for all. 

Offline newbie1111

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 09:18:50 am »
Oh yes and I forgot to add, with the no more than 5.00 co-pay. Giilead could certainly write it off against trial studies funds as post trial results and data. 
Stay positive :)

Offline Pungarson

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 08:51:10 pm »
I am very happy to hear about the great results and wish you all continued good health and success.  I am a bit crestfallen with my week 4 test results.  The results are written in two ways so I would appreciate any enlightenment:

HCV RNA QUANTITATIVE REAL TIME PCR 71  (reference range <15 IU/ml)
HCV RNA QUANTITATIVE REAL TIME PCR 1.85 (reference range <1.18 Log IU/ml)

Clearly, the  test results are much higher than I would like to see.

I am 7 weeks into Harvoni and will get my week 8 test next week.  The physician has already told me that they are in the process of dealing with my insurance carrier to see if I can get a 24 week approval rather than the 12 week that took so long to get. 
Does anyone have any comment on the effect of a break in the treatment?  Are drops in the test results between week 4 and 8 possible?  Anyone have experience in getting an extension of treatment from 12 to 24 weeks. 
I remain hopeful and feel fantastic.
Pungarson

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 09:47:38 pm »
>> Are drops in the test results between week 4 and 8 possible?<<

Pungarson, I dont know if youve read this yet, but it is very possible, and occurs frequently, that one can be detected at end of treatment, yet go on to become SVR at 12 wks post treatment.. Studies have been quoted on this forum that bare this out.  So not only are drops in viral load possible during treatment; it even happens Post treatment with today's modern drugs.
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 09:48:14 pm »
duplicate post.. ignore.
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.