Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:39:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 46
Total: 47

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HS5A resistance and DNA testing  (Read 9084 times)

Offline fieldD

HS5A resistance and DNA testing
« on: May 25, 2015, 04:43:39 am »
 I have Hep C since I believe the lat 80's and found out on a random blood work in 2000. I was a Peg+ribavin non responder in 2003, Peg + ribavin + teleprivir 2013(it was rough but did 48 weeks) and was told clear of April 2014. Just went in a was checked and the dragon is still there but only a 2 log. They now want me to take Harvoni for 24 weeks but I am worried about mutations and HS5A resistance. I see you used ribavin in your treatment and now your clear. I have also read in the clinical studies 22 out of 22 whom took 24 weeks + ribavin has been 100 percent. Do you happen to know about that combination in Canada? Anything new on DNA tests for resistance mutations. I am awaiting paper processing for my insurance and want the best solution going forward. Thanks.
FieldD
late 80's?-Contracted HCV
2000- diagnosed HCV
2003- PEG + ribavirin non responder
2013-teleprivir + PEG + ribavin relapser
2016 getting ready for 24 week tx harvoni
Fibrosis 0-1

Offline CureSeeker

• Virus Free! Happy Dance Time!
Re: HS5A resistance and DNA testing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:25:39 am »
Im a little more than confused on the whole thing, especially when it comes to log numbers, but isnt "less than 15" still considered clear?

A lot of people who have had the previous INF/Riba treatment that didnt respond are having success with Harvoni.

When I was originally diagnosed in 98, I had read about researchers working on the DNA of the virus and the development of inhibitors.  I recently read that those NS5A Inhibitors are scheduled to hit the market in a year or so.  I have read that if patient's can wait for them they should.

The way they work is they attach themselves to the virus and geneticly alter it so it cant replicate.

You should ask your doctor about them, and if you have time to wait for their approval and release.

There is a lot of information on it through Google.  My understanding of terminology and biochemistry in general only goes so far - but it cant hurt to check it out.

You can gain a lot of information by simply reading the abstract and concluding remarks of these studies, without your brain turning to soup in the process, lol.

Here's one link, but maybe you can find better ones on your own:

http://www.hepatitiscnewdrugresearch.com/what-are-ns5a-inhibitors.html

And a more recent one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25666806
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:35:04 am by CureSeeker »
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1
Sovaldi & Ribavirin x 24 weeks

2/23/16 - UNDETECTED!  SVR12 achieved.  :D
6/21/17 - UNDETECTED!  1.5 years post treatment.
July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 03:06:56 pm »
>>I recently read that those NS5A Inhibitors are scheduled to hit the market in a year or so.  I have read that if patient's can wait for them they should.<<

No need to wait!   NS5A inhibitors are already on the market.  Ledipasvir, which as we know, is a crucial part of what makes Harvoni Harvoni is helping millions of people shed this virus, and, its an NS5A inhibitor.
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline fieldD

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:10:11 am »
My Dr. asked for 24 weeks treatment and my insurance company wanted a fibroscan before saying yes. On a waiting list now to get test as only 1 machine in whole province. I am going to push for the 24 weeks of Harvoni because of prior txt even though no cirrosis(will have to see if still none after fibroscan, biopsey in 2012 showed 0). Heres my reasoning:

http://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?topic=2212.0

Makes sense for both the insurance company and me, lets get it over with. Any thoughts?
FieldD
late 80's?-Contracted HCV
2000- diagnosed HCV
2003- PEG + ribavirin non responder
2013-teleprivir + PEG + ribavin relapser
2016 getting ready for 24 week tx harvoni
Fibrosis 0-1

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.