Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:26:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 39
Total: 39

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ribavirin with Vieira Pak & breathing difficulties  (Read 10717 times)

Offline HazelAustralia

Ribavirin with Vieira Pak & breathing difficulties
« on: August 20, 2015, 08:21:12 am »
Hello,
I'm glad to have found this forum, thank you all for your contributions which have already been so helpful for me.
I'll introduce myself before asking my question, to say hi and contextualise my worry. I'm a woman in my 50's in Australia. I first contracted Hep C (non-A non-B) in the 1980's. It seemed to have cleared at one stage but maybe the tests were wrong, maybe I contracted it again in the 90's. I have to check my genotype, it's 1, I think it's 1A - I'll check with the nurse and confirm (I have spent so long ignoring my hep C, it's hard to change old habits). I recently had a fibroscan, which she said was okay, average, she also said my viral load was average. I tried interferon and ribavirin treatment about 10 years ago and had really bad insomnia and the closest thing I've experienced to a psychotic episode.
I have a lung condition - COPD - it's manageable but there are things I can't do anymore - I get out of breath - and this affects my fitness as I can't exercise as much as I used to.
I am ready to go on treatment as soon as it is available at this stage it looks like it will be December/January. The Hep C nurse has said that they are planning for me to go on Viekira Pak with Ribavirin for 12 weeks. I am nervous about the Ribavirin given that I already get some muscle pains and weakness and breathlessness, and I am especially worried having read some after-treatment responses that seem to suggest that it might affect the heart or lungs. I have also read mention that there is a possibility that they may be able to get rid of the Ribavirin from the treatment mix sometime soon - but I don't have a handle on this.
Can anyone please give me their feedback about side effects that relate to breathing, or about potential future treatment regimes, or anything else that occurs to you about my situation? Thanks for reading- if you got through -this lengthy post. And congratulations and my respect to everyone who has gone before me!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 11:29:37 am by HazelAustralia »
Female age 53
Australia
Contracted in the 1980's
Genotype 1A
VL 314k

Started treatment with Veikira Pak and Ribaviron on Thursday 17th December 2015
NOT DETECTED, End of Treatment, 16th March 2016

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
Re: Ribavirin with Vieira Pak & breathing difficulties
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 08:36:02 am »
hi Hazel, I'm from Aust too and live in a rural NSW area, but I am undergoing treatment through St Vincents in Sydney.

I'm on Viekira Pak + Ribavirin, I'm geno 1a. I get the 24 week cirrhotic bonus jackpot of ribavirin - lucky me!

I don't have COPD and I have to say that despite falling haemoglobin levels I have not really suffered from breathlessness since about Week 3. My hb is lower than ever now (104) but I am not breathless.
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline Joe NM

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:56:19 pm »
I occasionally hear about a dry cough with V-Pak/ribavirin regimens, but none of the studies showed increased difficulty breathing or any conflict with COPD. In good news, clearing your HCV could help your COPD, as HCV causes inflammation (swelling) throughout the body, which often goes away once your immune system isn't busy trying to kill millions of viruses a day. If you have genotype 1a, you will need the ribavirin, as cure rates without it go down about 20%. Otherwise Harvoni would be the other option for genotype 1a or 1b. But each regimen is just as effective, and if you're able to get access to V-Pak but not Harvoni then you should probably go with V-Pak (and if the doctors are telling you V-Pak, that's probably because they know that's the one you'll be able to access). You can go to viekira.com to find more information on it, including their Patient Assistance Program ("proceed") that can provide the drugs for free if you can show you have no other way to get them, give them a call if you need! But hopefully you don't have a hard time getting access to these drugs!
HCV Case Manager
Type-1 diabetic
Connoisseur of battling insurance companies, and when that fails resorting to 'Sample Pharmacies' and sneaking insulin back from Mexico to survive.
Kindred spirit/admirer of all on this forum!
Here to help in any way I can!
EVERYONE DESERVES A CURE!

Offline HazelAustralia

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 12:42:47 am »
Thanks Joe NM, I have only just seen this reply. That is very interesting about the inflammation. Thanks.
Female age 53
Australia
Contracted in the 1980's
Genotype 1A
VL 314k

Started treatment with Veikira Pak and Ribaviron on Thursday 17th December 2015
NOT DETECTED, End of Treatment, 16th March 2016

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.