Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:51:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 106
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 86
Total: 86

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Applied to Gilead SupportPath today  (Read 24136 times)

Offline Tom1952

Applied to Gilead SupportPath today
« on: August 26, 2015, 09:45:06 pm »
I have found a lot of good information and hope reading these forums.  I hope that I can add to that.  Thank all of you who have taken the time to write in this forum.

I tested positive for HepC1a in 2004,  No idea how I was infected.  My lab numbers are not off the charts, but the exhaustion and brain fog have become unmanageable.
VL - 3,250,000 / AST - 61 / ALT - 59 / GGT - 159 / Biluribin - .42 / Serum Chloride - 95 / Fib 0-1

I currently do not have health insurance but I do have a good Dr. and thanks mostly to what I have learned here, I applied today for assistance through Gileads SupportPath program. I will update as this unfolds and hopefully am approved.

Best luck to all of you.

Infected - Best guess hospital 1984
2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Applied to Gilead SupportPath today
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 10:51:07 pm »
Welcome to the forums, Tom! And good luck with your application to Gilead's Support Path.

kim :)
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Tom1952

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:01:06 pm »
Kim
Thank you for your words.
Tom
2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline Tom1952

Re: Applied to Gilead SupportPath today - Approved
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 08:31:42 pm »
I just received a phone call from SupportPath and they informed me I had been accepted into the program for treatment.  I'm almost afraid to post this until I have something in writing - but I want people to know that there is hope.  I think I'm in shock.  To think I could be cured before the end of the year and be able to think clearly again and not just sit on the couch and stare at the wall all day.  Thunderstruck.
2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:43:08 pm »
I just received a phone call from SupportPath and they informed me I had been accepted into the program for treatment.  I'm almost afraid to post this until I have something in writing - but I want people to know that there is hope.  I think I'm in shock.  To think I could be cured before the end of the year and be able to think clearly again and not just sit on the couch and stare at the wall all day.  Thunderstruck.

Such great news Tom!! Fabulous. I look forward to your progress reports!

kim
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Tom1952

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:04:56 pm »
Such great news Tom!! Fabulous. I look forward to your progress reports!

kim

Kim,
Thank you for this post and all the kind posts you make in these forums.  This HepC community provides tremendous moral support and information.  I hope to be starting treatment within 10 days and will add my routine (based on what I've read in the forums) and experience.  WOW.  I am still just floored.  The best news in a long time:)
Best
Tom
2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 09:25:41 pm »
Congrats Tom! What a great opportunity to get help.I am being assisted by patient access network but not a great experience with my support path.Still waiting for the green light...hoping it gets sorted out tomorrow.I will keep watching for your progress.This Thanksgiving could be really special!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
Started Harvoni Sept. 5, 2015
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
12 wks.post tx.feb.11,2016
UNDETECTED!!!
24 wks. post tx. may 16,2016
UNDETECTED Fibroscan  F-0!!!!!

Offline Tom1952

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:36:54 pm »
Congrats Tom! What a great opportunity to get help.I am being assisted by patient access network but not a great experience with my support path.Still waiting for the green light...hoping it gets sorted out tomorrow.I will keep watching for your progress.This Thanksgiving could be really special!

Thank you Rosie.  I'm sorry to hear about your experience with SupportPath.  Healthcare is so complicated across the board it feels as much like playing poker as anything else.  I hope you get dealt a good hand and on to treatment soon.  I will say the people I have talked to at SupportPath have been very supportive and kind.  Best wishes for you tomorrow.  Tom
2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline Mary Jo

• "If not you, then who? If not now, then when?"
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 09:34:23 pm »
I would like to know what the application process involves. I hope to have an RX in my hand for either Harvoni or Veikira Pak in the next month or so. I also am uninsured and will be a "self Pay" if possible. I am trying to get the ball rolling on applying for assistance through the companies. Can you tell me what was involved? 
54/F
Genotype 1A
Contracted 1984-ish
Diagnosed 2004-ish
Liver Core Biopsy 2011:
No cirrhosis, stage 2 fibrosis
Opted OUT of Ribavirin/Interferon treatment
Blood levels 2015: AST 187, ALT 223
HCV Quant 715,000

Offline Tom1952

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:37 pm »
I would like to know what the application process involves. I hope to have an RX in my hand for either Harvoni or Veikira Pak in the next month or so. I also am uninsured and will be a "self Pay" if possible. I am trying to get the ball rolling on applying for assistance through the companies. Can you tell me what was involved?

Mary Jo

This is what I did.

This is a link to the Gilead Support Path information page.  You will find a link to the intake form you can download and print.  https://www.harvoni.com/support-and-savings/support-registration

I printed the intake form and completed all but the first page.  Then I went to my Dr. and he requested updated lab work and wrote a lab work request.

Since I am uninsured I used Health Testing Centers to make an appointment with LabCorp.  http://www.healthtestingcenters.com.

I was happy with the price and the service. They sent the result to me and I took them to my Dr. at my next appointment.   I like to have a copy of all my lab work.

Two weeks later, at the next appointment with my Dr. I gave him the updated lab work, he completed the first page of the SupportPath intake form and he submitted (faxed) it to Gilead - Support Path.  I also wrote a cover letter and gave him copies of all the financial information to submit as well.

I heard from Gilead the next week.  I was shocked, surprised and grateful.  I have read here the difficulties people have had getting treatment and know that I am very fortunate to have been selected and so quickly.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck. 

Tom

2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline Mary Jo

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 10:42:19 am »
Thank you. I surely do hope the process works for me too. Fingers crossed. But great news for you!! I hope you'll be able to keep us updated on your progress too. I know we all can use good news. Good luck with your journey.
54/F
Genotype 1A
Contracted 1984-ish
Diagnosed 2004-ish
Liver Core Biopsy 2011:
HCV Quant 715,000

Offline Mike

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 03:25:35 pm »
Hi Tom,

I'm glad Gilead accepted you in to their Support Path program. That's great news!!!!

Best wishes in slaying this dragon, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Tom1952

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 03:35:44 pm »
Hi Tom,

I'm glad Gilead accepted you in to their Support Path program. That's great news!!!!

Best wishes in slaying this dragon, Mike

Mike,

Thank you for the work you do on this forum it is much appreciated.  I am uninsured (I work for small start up with no benefits, make to much for medicaid but not enough to afford insurance at 63) and I used information I found here to help in understanding what resources were available to me and how to access them.

Thanks for your good wishes and I hope to repay the information and support I have received by posting about my experience.

Have a great holiday weekend.

Tom
2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline Joe NM

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 11:33:42 am »
You should qualify for Support Path, then, the post from above was a great summary of what you'll need to get on it.
At worst, when you turn 65 you can get Medicare and a Part D or Advantage plan so you have Rx coverage (and if you make less than $1,361.25/month you can go to the Social Security office and get "Extra Help," which will pay your premiums). Medicare is paying for these medications for everybody regardless of Fibrosis level (but with high copays, which you can get covered using the Patient Access Network Foundation, panfoundation.org)
HCV Case Manager
Type-1 diabetic
Connoisseur of battling insurance companies, and when that fails resorting to 'Sample Pharmacies' and sneaking insulin back from Mexico to survive.
Kindred spirit/admirer of all on this forum!
Here to help in any way I can!
EVERYONE DESERVES A CURE!

Offline Tom1952

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 12:19:26 pm »
Be prepared to be patient and persistent.

Gilead has sent a request to my Dr's office twice.  The Dr's office claims they have not received it.  Gilead cannot send the request to me to hand carry so the best I can do is continue to call Gilead and visit my Dr' office until they connect.

I am very grateful for being accepted into the program.  I am frustrated and disappointed by the administrative hiccups.  It seems so tenuous and unreal and will until I actually have the medication in hand.

Practicing patience today.

2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline Tom1952

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 05:38:31 pm »
Be prepared to be patient and persistent.

Gilead has sent a request to my Dr's office twice.  The Dr's office claims they have not received it.  Gilead cannot send the request to me to hand carry so the best I can do is continue to call Gilead and visit my Dr' office until they connect.

I am very grateful for being accepted into the program.  I am frustrated and disappointed by the administrative hiccups.  It seems so tenuous and unreal and will until I actually have the medication in hand.

Practicing patience today.

Got it sorted out.  No one had correct fax number's.  Gilead's pharmacy called me today and said the Harvoni would be FedEx-ed Monday.  I could be starting treatment next Tuesday.  My intention is to post/share regularly about my experience. Thanks, Tom
2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 06:06:40 pm »
Hey Tom! Glad you are getting started!We talked a few weeks back when I was very frustrated with the same types of delays you are describing.I was so so frustrated & all the faxes" lost"were out of my control.After getting help from Genetech (Gilead program) my insurance decided to cover me under major medical because I didn't have pharmacy coverage for name brand drugs.The specialty pharmacy was super good to work with...they made calls to the clinic & blue cross to make it happen.Today is day 8.Smooth so far! Make sure to drink thruout the day to avoid headaches.Alot of the worries I had about the medication were unfounded & I have been very active except for one day I must have been clearing alot of virus!This friday is first labs...something to celebrate not worry.Keep writing about our journey...we love to hear!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline Tom1952

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 03:54:06 pm »
Hey Tom! Glad you are getting started!We talked a few weeks back when I was very frustrated with the same types of delays you are describing.I was so so frustrated & all the faxes" lost"were out of my control.After getting help from Genetech (Gilead program) my insurance decided to cover me under major medical because I didn't have pharmacy coverage for name brand drugs.The specialty pharmacy was super good to work with...they made calls to the clinic & blue cross to make it happen.Today is day 8.Smooth so far! Make sure to drink thruout the day to avoid headaches.Alot of the worries I had about the medication were unfounded & I have been very active except for one day I must have been clearing alot of virus!This friday is first labs...something to celebrate not worry.Keep writing about our journey...we love to hear!

Rosie
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience so far.  It is helpful and very encouraging to hear others experience.  Helps to be prepared for what the the next 90 days are going to be like.  Although honestly I'd suffer through anything to get better.  My med's just arrived by FedEx so today starts my first day of treatment.  Guess my next post will be in the "On Hepatitis Treatment" section and ain't that grand:)  Good luck to you and hope you feel well and look forward to reading about your good lab results.  Tom
2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 11:56:36 pm »
Hi Tom, another thing to remember...If you have a tired day or a fleeting headache it all changes the next day...so whatever you get it will pass. I have been astounded that I have felt this good. I found a kitten that was hit by a car yeasterday & have been doctoring her & forgetting I have a bad disease...What should I name this tiny brave one? anyone have ideas my mind is a little cluttered!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 11:59:13 pm »
Brave, you say? How about naming her Rosie14?
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 12:04:49 am »
AWWWWW thanks for that idea Gnatty! I'll see if she likes it!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline Mary Jo

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 10:29:28 pm »
I finally got some action on the approval process after 2 months, and it all happened really fast! Like in less than 2 weeks! I heard from the RX/Support Path girl at the hospital and inside of 2 weeks I was approved and the meds are at my house!! Holy cow, I am so excited and so nervous! I have no idea why or how it happened that fast, but it did. 8 week treatment I will start Tuesday night, 10/20/15. Wow, folks!
54/F
Genotype 1A
Contracted 1984-ish
Diagnosed 2004-ish
Liver Core Biopsy 2011:
HCV Quant 715,000

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 10:31:06 pm »
I finally got some action on the approval process after 2 months, and it all happened really fast! Like in less than 2 weeks! I heard from the RX/Support Path girl at the hospital and inside of 2 weeks I was approved and the meds are at my house!! Holy cow, I am so excited and so nervous! I have no idea why or how it happened that fast, but it did. 8 week treatment I will start Tuesday night, 10/20/15. Wow, folks!

Congratulations Mary Jo! Welcome to the Harvoni journey!

kim :)

Offline Mary Jo

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 10:35:50 pm »
Thank you! I am starting a journal of sorts to keep track of my experience, seeing as we are all still guinea pigs with this. Ha! I hope your results are good :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:39:30 pm by Mary Jo »
54/F
Genotype 1A
Contracted 1984-ish
Diagnosed 2004-ish
Liver Core Biopsy 2011:
HCV Quant 715,000

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 10:38:24 pm »
Thank you! I am starting a journal of sots to keep track of my experience, seeing as e are all still guinea pigs with this. Ha! I hope your results are good :)

Yes we are guinea pigs - that's for sure. Good idea about starting a journal! :)

kim

Offline Tom1952

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 10:52:22 pm »

Congratulations.  I hope your experience is as calm as mine has been so far; just completed week 4 with virtually no bad side effects.  The improvement in my energy level and ability to think clearly has been dramatic.  Best wishes!
2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 10:58:41 pm »
Congratulations.  I hope your experience is as calm as mine has been so far; just completed week 4 with virtually no bad side effects.  The improvement in my energy level and ability to think clearly has been dramatic.  Best wishes!

Great to hear you are doing so well, Tom! I too experienced a real uptick in mental clarity - something I had not had for a long time. Glad it is proceeding so well for you.

kim

Offline Mary Jo

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 11:00:50 pm »
So you're 4 weeks ahead of me. Wow, those are encouraging words. I am so stoked and kind of shaking all over. I hope for continued success and more good news than bad.
54/F
Genotype 1A
Contracted 1984-ish
Diagnosed 2004-ish
Liver Core Biopsy 2011:
HCV Quant 715,000

Offline Tom1952

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 11:05:22 pm »
Great to hear you are doing so well, Tom! I too experienced a real uptick in mental clarity - something I had not had for a long time. Glad it is proceeding so well for you.

kim

Kim, I have been using a website (www.lumosity.com) to track and measure various brain functions for about a year.  In the last month I have had a 75% across the board increase so I know its not just my imagination.  It is such an amazing feeling to be able to think clearly again!  Happy to hear you had the same experience. Best wishes.
2004 - Diagnosed Geno 1a
2015 - Viral 3.250.000

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 11:53:12 pm »
Kim, I have been using a website (www.lumosity.com) to track and measure various brain functions for about a year.  In the last month I have had a 75% across the board increase so I know its not just my imagination.  It is such an amazing feeling to be able to think clearly again!  Happy to hear you had the same experience. Best wishes.

I have heard of lumosity. Never really knew what it was. Will check it out. Thanks for link.

best,
kim

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.