Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:32:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 104
Total: 104

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 8 weeks Harvoni treatment?  (Read 7904 times)

Offline PetePurnell

8 weeks Harvoni treatment?
« on: September 18, 2015, 10:46:21 pm »
I am considering doing treatment, have gone through lots of tests(blood work, ultrasounds) recently and it seems my doctor thinks I will be able to do 8 weeks of Harvoni. 

He says I am treatment naive, but in 97 I was treated with Interferon(before pegalated) 3 times weekly which failed.   

The did a test called Fibrospect which showed a score of 46, and I am scheduled for a Fibroscan as well. My genotype is 1A and my Viral load is like 2.5 million. 

My concern is that if the Fibroscan doesn't show Cirrhosis that I am going to be treated for 8 weeks despite the fact I was treated with Interferon. Also, if my Fibroscan shows Cirrhosis I will be treated for 12 weeks instead of the 24 weeks .

I just don't want to be shortchanged after waiting so long.  Anyone have any insight?  I am not sure how to approach the doctor on this one.  Should I just let it go?  This is kind of freaking me out.   :(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:48:06 pm by PetePurnell »

Offline Rosie13

Re: 8 weeks Harvoni treatment?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 11:10:24 pm »
Hi  Pete, welcome to the forum! I am also approved for only 8 weeks  on Harvoni because if viral load is under 6 million sometimes that's all insurance will pay for.I just did blood work today after 14 days...my  Dr. Is planning to appeal after we have some labs to use for justification.There will be lots of labs..she ordered them every 2 wks I think.If I have "undetected" in the latter labs it will  hard to get the 3rd month.You are not naive if you had the previous drugs..that's a little weird they are treated you as not
previously treated.I'm sure some of the more experienced members will weigh in on what to ask your Dr.about to get more tx.This will be stressful till you get started but be excited you are going to be cured for REAL!Keep posting we are in this together.
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
Started Harvoni Sept. 5, 2015
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
12 wks.post tx.feb.11,2016
UNDETECTED!!!
24 wks. post tx. may 16,2016
UNDETECTED Fibroscan  F-0!!!!!

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 11:35:25 pm »
Hi and welcome!  My my understanding if you have had any treatment before you are not treatment naive.  Then the protocol would be 12 weeks Harvoni, provided you don't have cirrhosis, then it would be 24 weeks if you can get it.  I don't think I would let it go as you need the correct amount of treatment.  I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in.  Good luck!
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline byebyeC

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 06:13:52 am »
Hi Pete,

If I've learned anything from these forums, it's that you have to self advocate.

My suggestion would be to calli Gilead and Abbvies support lines and ask them if your tx status should be experienced with the tx you've already received. Get names of the people you talk to and ask them to send you documentation that you can then take to your Dr. If he/she still refuses to change your status, you may want to consider switching Dr.'s. Don't know if that's an option. But you could take your labs and Dr. notes to the new doc. Then you'd only have to pay for the new office visit (?), don't know what your ins. situation is...

Tx length is CRITICAL, as I can see you already know. In this situation, knowledge truly is power. Find out the official story from the drug companies, then take it to your Dr.

Good luck and God bless!
GT 1a
VL BOT 7 M
Diagnosed 1980
Treatment naive
12 wk Viekira Pak Riba Started 9/7/15
Alaska 
Pre-treatment labs were ast 42 alt 33 vl 7,162,(eyes are light yellow now)
*Latest alt 19 ast 23! Yay! VL <15 detected

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.