Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:52:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hello, considering starting treatment (Harvoni)  (Read 20855 times)

Offline taliah

Hello, considering starting treatment (Harvoni)
« on: November 05, 2015, 08:21:40 pm »
Hi,

I thought I'd start a topic because I have some questions.

A bit about me: I was diagnosed when I was 2004 and attempted to donate blood. I think I must've caught it in 1988 or 1989 when I was basically a baby and needed a blood transfusion. (I was born in '88 and currently 27 years old.) My viral count has always been relatively low, and interferon was considered quite drastic, so I never went for it.

I recently went to a GI because I was thinking about having children. We did all the tests: genotype 1a. Viral count of 48,xxx (I think that's quite low?). Everything looks normal. I got an elastography and it was a 0 (no cirrhosis). But he was going to get me treatment anyway.

I'm fortunate in that I have very, very good health insurance. I qualify because I'm a woman trying to get pregnant, and so they will cover a 8 week dose of Harvoni. (I believe in Harvoni all by itself. I just signed the paperwork for the pharmacy, but haven't talked to my doctor again yet. I think he didn't want to talk too much about it because he was expecting insurance to reject me.)

I'm 99% sure I'm going to go for it, because I'm not sure when/if a better option (in terms of medicine, cure rate, my health, and medical insurance coverage) will come up. But I'm also a bit uncertain...

1) I have never taken chronic medication--part of the whole taking care of my liver thing--so I'm worried about the side effects even though they are supposed to be mild. I consider myself quite healthy, other than the HCV thing, so I'm worried about not being able to function (and it affecting my work and home life).

2) What happens if the treatment is not successful? I know it's possible to have more/different treatments. But is it possible for it to cause your viral load to spike and/or to start the liver cirhossis process even though it's currently okay?

3) The whole point for me is to have kids. I know that you wait 6 months afterward, and it's not supposed to affect unborn children anyway. But are there studies that have been done on it?

Anyway, any thoughts/comments/encouragements you have would be great.

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: Hello, considering starting treatment (Harvoni)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 08:52:31 pm »
Welcome, taliah. Yes, your viral load is low, as is your elastography grade, so you have a very mild case. To answer 1), although every body reacts to Harvoni differently, most of us have had an easy time during treatment and could work and be easy to live with. Some of us (myself included) had extra energy while on Harvoni. My hepatologist has had many patients on Harvoni, and none has had to quit because of side effects.

Others are better able to address your 2nd and 3rd questions, but I can say this: Harvoni has a very high success rate. Your doctor will probably test you after 4 weeks of treatment, and your viral load will probably already be undetected or very close to it. Since the cure rate isn't 100%, sure, you could be one of the rare unlucky ones who will need some other treatment later, but cirrhosis takes a very long time to develop and would not be caused by the action of Harvoni.

I'm very risk averse and avoid medicine wherever possible, but I'm glad I took Harvoni. I say that because even if I should turn out to be one of the few unlucky people who will have a relapse, during treatment my liver had respite from the virus, and what few side effects I had were extremely mild.

Best of luck to you.

Gnatty
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:54:08 pm by gnatcatcher »
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline taliah

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:25:06 pm »
Thank you Gnatty.

I'm feeling more and more lucky as I read other people's posts on this forum.

I just got a call from the pharmacy that they will send my medication next week, and I'll probably start them next Wednesday. I was originally approved for only 8 weeks, but the doctor upped it to 12.

I'm feeling extremely optimistic right now. :)

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 01:58:30 pm »
Hi Taliah,

My doctor recommends 12 weeks for everyone now if insurance will approve.

My two cents:  Yes, you are lucky. I would do it!  I felt pretty great most of the time on treatment. Yes, a few minor side effects, but nothing compared to a lifetime of living with Hep C. (I'm one who avoids major meds too except for HepC Treatments.)

I'm happy for you.  You are young, your liver is in good shape and you have a very good chance not to have to live with HepC for the rest of your life!  I wish you well!  Bree
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline MaryC

• Life is not a sprint; it's a marathon.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 12:07:18 pm »
Hi Taliah,
Welcome!  It is wonderful that you have this opportunity to be treated early in the course of this chronic, progressive disease.  Yours is a excellent example of proactive treatment for Chronic HCV BEFORE there is major liver damage! In my opinion, there needs to be more early intervention, and treatment options need to be offered to more individuals. 

I am not on Harvoni, but do take both Sovaldi (which is one of the drugs in Harvoni) and Daklinza.  I have completed 7.5 weeks of a 12 week course so far, and my side effects have been very minimal. 

Best to you,
Mary
GT 3a
Dx'd 4/15 not known when contracted
Labs 7/15:
-VL 537,000
-AST 32
-ALT 41
-Fibrosis score 0.46 (F1-F2)
Started tx 9/17/2015 with Daklinza + Sovaldi
6/6/16: 24 week EOT SVR!  Cured!

Offline Coach Mike

• Affordable Hepatitis C Treatment
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 12:56:18 pm »
Hi,
And congratulations on getting your insurance approval so easily. I would say you are in the minority due to your liver condition.
Your case is an example of how the system should work.
I am in week three of generic harvoni. A dull headache the first three days-thats it! Nothing else but more energy.
Good luck!
Mike
Genotype 1a, Biopsy:11/2014: F-1, Tx Naive
Fibrosure, 7/20/15: F-1-2
Pre tx v/l: 1,600,000, ALT: 75, AST: 48
Started generic sofosbuvir & ledipasvir: 10/23/15
4 wk labs: 11/19/15, ALT: 21, AST: 16, V/L:  UND
Started 8 week Harvoni tx: 11/20/15
8 wk labs, 12/15/15, ALT: 15, AST: 13, V/L: UND
4/11/16 12 week EOT-Undetected
7/5/16 SVR 24

Offline taliah

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 01:16:32 pm »
Thank you for your encouragement!

I have a FedEx tracking number for my first 4 weeks, and an appointment on Friday with the doctor. I guess he wants to watch me take the first pill? They haven't called me back yet, on what I should bring (if anything).

I've been psyching myself out reading everything about Harvoni and its side effects. I read that some people have post Tx depression/anxiety. I actually had a bout of depression/anxiety (almost got fired from work!) when I found out about the new drug and had to reconcile myself to the fact that I might actually live past 40. (I don't know why 40. It was a number I'd made up, I think because in high school a classmate did a presentation on HCV and said her father died at 40 from it.) Somehow, the thought of having to actually plan for my retirement and keep my health up for old age and consider having kids and raising grandkids was suddenly terrifying. It was also when I seriously considered marriage, instead of just being in a long term relationship indefinitely. So hopefully, I won't have to deal with depression/anxiety post treatment.

I've also been reading the few threads about children born with HCV. So heartbreaking. :( I guess before I was sort of okay with having kids, when I have HCV, since my life has been pretty much not impacted, and there's only a 5% chance of passing it on anyway. But after those threads, I realize I should definitely get treated, if not for myself, then for my potential kids. I'm even trying to decide if I want to have kids if I don't get cured... but I'm hoping I won't have to make that decision.

As an aside question: Have any of you been to (in person) Hep C support groups? There's a local one here that meets every first Thursday evening, and I'm thinking of going to the next one. But I'm worried the other people there will be actually sick (vs having the disease but not symptomatic) and won't really relate to me...?

Offline taliah

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 02:13:09 pm »
Just got a call from my doctor: No need to actually go in for my first pill. They just need to know when I start it. So I guess I'll start it on Wednesday.

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 02:22:38 pm »
As an aside question: Have any of you been to (in person) Hep C support groups? There's a local one here that meets every first Thursday evening, and I'm thinking of going to the next one. But I'm worried the other people there will be actually sick (vs having the disease but not symptomatic) and won't really relate to me...?
taliah, about your question: Although I haven't gone in person to a Hep C support group, I have gone in person to a lupus support group and cancer support groups. The people at the lupus group were much sicker than I was, so it wasn't a good fit, and I didn't go back. The cancer support groups had excellent, professional facilitators, so they were able to meet the needs of a wide variety of people. You can always check out your local group by going once, then deciding whether or not to go again.
Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline MaryC

• Life is not a sprint; it's a marathon.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 04:22:37 pm »
Hi taliah,
I agree with Gnatty...what do you have to lose by trying out an in-person support group?  If it doesn't feel like a good fit, you will at least be satisfied that you checked it out.

Good luck with your first dose. You are on your way to a longer, healthier life!

Mary
GT 3a
Dx'd 4/15 not known when contracted
Labs 7/15:
-VL 537,000
-AST 32
-ALT 41
-Fibrosis score 0.46 (F1-F2)
Started tx 9/17/2015 with Daklinza + Sovaldi
6/6/16: 24 week EOT SVR!  Cured!

Offline hope2bcured

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 08:40:09 am »
Hi,

I thought I'd start a topic because I have some questions.

A bit about me: I was diagnosed when I was 2004 and attempted to donate blood. I think I must've caught it in 1988 or 1989 when I was basically a baby and needed a blood transfusion. (I was born in '88 and currently 27 years old.) My viral count has always been relatively low, and interferon was considered quite drastic, so I never went for it.

I recently went to a GI because I was thinking about having children. We did all the tests: genotype 1a. Viral count of 48,xxx (I think that's quite low?). Everything looks normal. I got an elastography and it was a 0 (no cirrhosis). But he was going to get me treatment anyway.

I'm fortunate in that I have very, very good health insurance. I qualify because I'm a woman trying to get pregnant, and so they will cover a 8 week dose of Harvoni. (I believe in Harvoni all by itself. I just signed the paperwork for the pharmacy, but haven't talked to my doctor again yet. I think he didn't want to talk too much about it because he was expecting insurance to reject me.)

I'm 99% sure I'm going to go for it, because I'm not sure when/if a better option (in terms of medicine, cure rate, my health, and medical insurance coverage) will come up. But I'm also a bit uncertain...

1) I have never taken chronic medication--part of the whole taking care of my liver thing--so I'm worried about the side effects even though they are supposed to be mild. I consider myself quite healthy, other than the HCV thing, so I'm worried about not being able to function (and it affecting my work and home life).

2) What happens if the treatment is not successful? I know it's possible to have more/different treatments. But is it possible for it to cause your viral load to spike and/or to start the liver cirhossis process even though it's currently okay?

3) The whole point for me is to have kids. I know that you wait 6 months afterward, and it's not supposed to affect unborn children anyway. But are there studies that have been done on it?

Anyway, any thoughts/comments/encouragements you have would be great.

If it were me, I would watch and wait, at least another year. This drug is so new, and it seems a lot of folks (myself included) are having other lingering issues. I am sorry that I did not wait. I never took any tx in the past. I am genotype 1a. When my dr told me about it, he said its a guaranteed cure, and that I would not experience any side effects that I didnt already have which was basically fatigue. I am extremely fatigued, I have horrible body and joint pain, all my sockets and bones hurt. My head is no clearer if not worse, and I am basically sofa bound. I used to have insomnia before tx, now I can fall asleep any time. Its starting to wear on my emotions big time.

If it were me, I would wait a year. Do you research and then take it from there. I wish you all the best!!

Offline taliah

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 02:36:38 pm »
hope2bcured: Those side effects do sound nasty, and I've been reading up on those threads. I also love reading about medical failures (my version of horror novels), so I'm well aware that doctors have their own biases. At the end of the day, it's about risk management.

I've talked it over with my husband. We don't know when/if a new medication that is more affordable will come out. Do I wait several more years to see the side effects of those? What if I no longer have good medical insurance? Do I put off having children indefinitely or take the risk (as an informed adult) to take the medication, or do I choose to have children, potentially born with hep C (who obviously would have no choice the matter)? Or should my husband and I choose to go childless or adopt? (Which we have chosen not to do for other reasons.)

If there were one sure-fire thing, I would love to do that, but I don't think there is. All we can do is look at the stats and choose one that makes the most sense. (Like driving a car: fatal accidents happen everyday, yet people still drive.) So I think I'll start Harvoni tomorrow.

Is there a chance that I'll regret it? Absolutely, since hindsight is always 20/20. But if I never take risks, then I can never move forward, in any direction. At least, I'm going making an informed decision.

("Funny" story: The reason I got hep C in the first place is over-treatment. My grandparents took me to the hospital because of a minor cold. I caught something pretty bad at the hospital. So I had to stay there, and get a blood transfusion. And that was before they screened for HCV.)

Offline Else

• Appeal, appeal, and appeal again!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 04:21:25 pm »
Congratulations!  I started my third (and last!) bottle of 28 pills today.  Except for the occasional no-big-deal headache, I'd never know I'd been on treatment.

Except for my lab work!!!   :D

Oh, and I might have noticed the lovely increase in energy and lack of joint pain.  Harvoni is miraculous!
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
ALT: 58 AST: 39 ALK: 105
Viral load 4,201,950 IU/ml
Fibroscan 6.5 (F1-F2) Fibrosure 0.36 (F1-F2)
Treatment-naive
After 3 denials, finally approved!
Harvoni 12 wks - start date 9/15/15
4 wk labs 10/14/15
ALT: 12 AST: 16 ALK: 85
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
ALT: 13  AST: 15  ALK: 77
12 wk (EOT!) labs 12/8/15
ALT: 11 AST: 15 ALK: 78
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
ALT: 22 AST: 17 ALK: 61
HCV Not Detected!! SVR10!!!
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 04:36:14 pm »
HI TALIAH! You sound like me before I started! I was so afraid but really you have nothing to fear...we are all living examples of how MIRACULOUS THIS MEDICATION IS! IF YOU HAVE IT START TAKING IT BEFORE YOUR LIVER GETS WORSE. I WAS AMAZED AT HOW MANY THINGS THAT HEP C AFFECTS BESIDES THE LIVER. I HAD SIDE PAIN, JOINT PAIN, FACE RASHES & SWELLING IN MY LEGS. ALL THAT IS GONE NOW.I FINISHED 8 WEEKS OF TX OCT. 30TH & JUST GOT MY 2ND SET OF LABS SAYING UNDETECTED...I TOO GOT THIS HORRIBLE DISEASE IN THE HOSPITAL FROM A TRANSFUSION WHEN I WAS 27.I AM 63 NOW SO AM LUCKY TO BE ABLE TO GET TREATED.KEEP POSTING WITH QUESTIONS AS THERE ARE LOTS OF AWESOME PEOPLE HERE .WISH YOU THE BEST!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
Started Harvoni Sept. 5, 2015
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
12 wks.post tx.feb.11,2016
UNDETECTED!!!
24 wks. post tx. may 16,2016
UNDETECTED Fibroscan  F-0!!!!!

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 04:42:19 pm »
Hi Else, glad you are on the 3rd month home stretch.I wish that taliah could read all the good threads about harvoni being an easy tx instead of the scary ones. I did that too & was all set to hang around the toilet all day only it never happened! I would love to have gotten that 3rd month for insurance @ 98% but the labs are looking good so I am on a tear getting alot done here before a holiday to see family @ christmas. Good wishes for you this month!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline Bree

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 04:58:36 pm »
Taliah, it sounds like you have thoroughly thought this through and done you research.  As far as I'm concerned, this treatment is a gift...the healthier you are to start, even better. If there is some discomfort from it, so be it.  It's such a short term treatment.  The long term effects of being cured are priceless for numerous reasons, medical and psychological.  Kids or no kids, this is for you and your long term health.  I know you will make the best decision for you! Good luck to you!
Dx 1997 Geno 1a

SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline Cindy1955

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 05:46:13 pm »
Taliah;

I for one, and I am sure many others on this site, had children before we even knew about the virus.  My children are in their late 30's and I have had them, as well as my husband tested, everyone negative.  Although it was a very scary time when I found out I had it not knowing anything about it AND it was very early days with the internet (dial up) so there was not much information to be had.  Thankfully, I am the only one infected.  It is awesome you have found out early and can get treatment and cured before damage is done and live your life without fear.
Enjoy your treatment and the rest of your life!!!!  Only good things to look forward to.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Cindy
F/60
Diagnosed 1992 with non A-non B
Genotype 1A
Asymptomatic
Probably contracted blood transfusion 1972
Fibrosis score .54
Fibrosis Stage F2
Treatment naive
Harvoni started 9/28/2015
Begin: AST 55 ALT 66 VL 6,037,770
4 Week Lab: AST 26 ALT 28 VL-UND
8 Week Lab: AST 17 ALT 18 VL-UND

Offline taliah

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 01:42:37 am »
Thanks!

I biked home with my little bottle of Harvoni today, and it was kind of hard to wrap my head around the idea that it's valued at $30k. That's just crazy to me. I read all all the papers that came with it (and finally figured out what SVR stands for!).

I know that most babies born to women with HCV don't have HCV. However, the chance of passing it on is about 5%. That means if we plan to have two children--which we do--there is a 1 in 10 chance that at least one of them will have HCV. I don't think I can take that risk without mitigating it in good conscience, now that I know the stats.

I had my husband read the side effects thread, since he would also be affected. I'm start going to start the pill tomorrow.

Offline Else

• Appeal, appeal, and appeal again!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 11:54:48 am »
In case you haven't read it elsewhere here, just remember that with Harvoni water is your friend.  Lots and lots of water!   :)

I think you'll be happily surprised how easy this treatment is!  8)
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
ALT: 58 AST: 39 ALK: 105
Viral load 4,201,950 IU/ml
Fibroscan 6.5 (F1-F2) Fibrosure 0.36 (F1-F2)
Treatment-naive
After 3 denials, finally approved!
Harvoni 12 wks - start date 9/15/15
4 wk labs 10/14/15
ALT: 12 AST: 16 ALK: 85
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
ALT: 13  AST: 15  ALK: 77
12 wk (EOT!) labs 12/8/15
ALT: 11 AST: 15 ALK: 78
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
ALT: 22 AST: 17 ALK: 61
HCV Not Detected!! SVR10!!!
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 01:40:09 pm »
Congrats  Taliah! You will be happy to get it behind you & no longer stressing over when to do it. let us know how you are doing! I have the energy of a twenty year old...quite amazing side effect of being Hep C free for 2 months!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline taliah

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 01:56:30 pm »
Yup, took my first pill this morning!

I'm definitely feeling tired, but I don't think it's because of Harvoni. I was so nervous/anxious/excited that I couldn't sleep half the night last night. (If I weren't trying to get on the morning schedule, in case of insomnia, I would've just started it last night.)

Offline beto

• "no risk it, no biscuit"
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 06:29:00 pm »
Talia

I bet your VL is already down on day one.  Enjoy the ride and keep sharing.
HCV/nonA,nonB acute phase 1975
HCV detected active 1990
HCV persistent chronic diagnosis 1995
1995 liver enzymes mild elevations
1996 Biopsy F2 fibrosis
treatment naive geno 1-A
2000-to early 2015 Viral load 150, 000 to 800, 000
recent liver enzymes before treatment alt/ast 59to209,  Fibroscan F4,cirrhosis
start tx Harvoni 7/11/2015
6.5 week-UD-ast/alt 25/25
9wk-UD-ast18 alt23
10/3/15 completed tx
11/5/15 new fibroscan f0-f1 amazed
6wk EOT UD ast/alt 20/20
12EOT-UD-ast/alt19/21
25wk-SVR! 19/18

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 06:59:41 pm »
Talia the virus is being hammered right now.my Dr.told me most is killed the first week with Harvoni.I was super tired at first but that went away pretty fast.Because most of had this so long we forgot how good it really feels to be healthy!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 07:08:58 pm »
Talia the virus is being hammered right now.my Dr.told me most is killed the first week with Harvoni.I was super tired at first but that went away pretty fast.Because most of had this so long we forgot how good it really feels to be healthy!

That's very true about how quickly Harvoni gets rid of the virus. Most of the work really does occur in Week 1. In the first 7 days of treatment, my viral load dropped from 4 million to 130. (I had a lot of VL tests throughout treatment because I was in a clinical trial.)

Great to hear that you have oodles of energy now Rosie! :)

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 07:19:30 pm »
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 07:24:17 pm »
Hi Kim! How are you doing now that you are free! That's a huge drop in your early numbers! It's mind blowing!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 07:32:21 pm »

I know that most babies born to women with HCV don't have HCV. However, the chance of passing it on is about 5%. That means if we plan to have two children--which we do--there is a 1 in 10 chance that at least one of them will have HCV. I don't think I can take that risk without mitigating it in good conscience, now that I know the stats.

Actually 5% equates to .05 chance per live birth 5 in 100 babies or .5 for ten babies or .05 per birth.

Risk does not increase with additional children it is still the same .05 per live birth.

If you throw a die (dice) the odds of any given number coming up is one in 6. On you next throw the odds are exactly the same 1 in 6. Over thousands of throws the data would tend to even out in the appropriate ranges but still the odds are just as good still 1 in 6 of having any given number come up.

So just because the odds are 5% for a child to be hep c positive when born to HCV infected mothers your individual odds stay the same for each child.

But anyway good luck on treatment this stuff is great and I  hope that helps about the statistics a little

Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline taliah

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 07:37:25 pm »
Actually 5% equates to .05 chance per live birth 5 in 100 babies or .5 for ten babies or .05 per birth.

Risk does not increase with additional children it is still the same .05 per live birth.

If you throw a die (dice) the odds of any given number coming up is one in 6. On you next throw the odds are exactly the same 1 in 6. Over thousands of throws the data would tend to even out in the appropriate ranges but still the odds are just as good still 1 in 6 of having any given number come up.

So just because the odds are 5% for a child to be hep c positive when born to HCV infected mothers your individual odds stay the same for each child.

But anyway good luck on treatment this stuff is great and I  hope that helps about the statistics a little

Lynn

Yes, I understand that. So the first child has a 95% chance of being born healthy. The second child has a 95% child of being born healthy. The probability of both children being born healthy is 95%*95%, or 90.25%. Therefore there is a 9.75% chance of one or both children having HCV. That's about one in ten.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 07:40:36 pm »
Hi Kim! How are you doing now that you are free! That's a huge drop in your early numbers! It's mind blowing!

Hi Rosie. I am doing pretty well right now. Thanks for asking. :) I am 3.5 months post-treatment. I am one of the people who had some bad post-treatment problems (although treatment itself was not a problem). I was bedridden with fever, sweats and more for about 6 weeks. My working theory is that it was due to a temporarily hyper-stimulated immune system. But that has gone away now. I can't say that I feel any better now than I did prior to treatment. (I was healthy with no real problems prior to treatment.) I think a lot of us may have expected that once the virus was removed from our bodies, we would regain energy and mental clarity we haven't known in years. I have not had that experience yet, but I hope to. :)

Just happy to be clear after 45 years of living with this virus. Very thankful I had the opportunity to climb aboard the Harvoni train.

kim :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:42:11 pm by KimInTheForest »
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015, 07:53:49 pm »
Gosh I forgot you had been finished tx that long! You were so helpful in my journey & I was sad that you had the slow return to normal.The changes have been subtle for me.I still have to get my eating habits in check....Halloween provided added challenge! :-\ I decided to put new carpet in bedroom so it is great to declutter.something that I never would have done a few weeks ago.Sending healing thoughts your way.
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 08:31:23 pm »
The first child has a 99.95% so does the second and the 3rd and everyone after.

If you roll a die the odds of a 3 is 1 in 6 the next time you roll the odds of a 3 are 1 in 6, the hundredths time you roll the die the odds of a 3 are 1 in 6. Even if you roll say ten 3s in a row the odds of throwing a 3 is 1 in 6.

Over thousands of throws the stats will even out to what is expected but the odds on an individual throw never change from 1 in 6 statistics are fun like that
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline taliah

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 08:37:10 pm »
The first child has a 99.95% so does the second and the 3rd and everyone after.

If you roll a die the odds of a 3 is 1 in 6 the next time you roll the odds of a 3 are 1 in 6, the hundredths time you roll the die the odds of a 3 are 1 in 6. Even if you roll say ten 3s in a row the odds of throwing a 3 is 1 in 6.

Over thousands of throws the stats will even out to what is expected but the odds on an individual throw never change from 1 in 6 statistics are fun like that

I understand that the odds of EACH die is always 1/6 getting a 3. But what are the odds of throwing three dice and NOT getting a 3? The odds of that are 5/6*5/6*5/6, or around 58%. So if you plan to throw three dice, you will have a 42% chance of getting at least one die turning up 3.

You can ask Wolfram Alpha this question: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=What+are+the+odds+of+getting+at+least+one+3+with+3+dice%3F

If I already have a child, then my second child has a 5% chance of getting HCV (just like the first, and the third, and the fourth, and so forth). But since I have 0 children currently and plan to have 2, the odds of 1 or both of them having HCV is about 10%.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 11:05:01 pm »
Anyway numbers don't matter when you are cured and that is what is important so all the best with treatment and best wishes on having a happy and healthy family no matter what the odds! Thanks for the link a little reading for me to check out

All my best to you
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:43:38 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 11:12:16 pm »
I decided to put new carpet in bedroom so it is great to declutter.something that I never would have done a few weeks ago.Sending healing thoughts your way.

Thanks Rosie! I got into a decluttering binge a couple of weeks ago. It was/is very uplifting to have less 'stuff' filling up my space. I am actually doing pretty well right now health-wise. Still trying to get my hemoglobin back into the normal range. Maybe once my hemoglobin and iron levels climb a bit, I will get that surge in energy and mental clarity I have been awaiting. ;)

kim

Offline Bree

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 11:25:50 pm »
Thanks Rosie! I got into a decluttering binge a couple of weeks ago. It was/is very uplifting to have less 'stuff' filling up my space. I am actually doing pretty well right now health-wise. Still trying to get my hemoglobin back into the normal range. Maybe once my hemoglobin and iron levels climb a bit, I will get that surge in energy and mental clarity I have been awaiting. ;)

kim

Must be another Harvoni side effect... decluttering! :)  Me too, that's what I'm doing... haven't had the energy for decades.  For me, the energy is coming in spurts... and I'll take it!
Dx 1997 Geno 1a

SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 11:41:32 pm »
Must be another Harvoni side effect... decluttering! :)  Me too, that's what I'm doing... haven't had the energy for decades.  For me, the energy is coming in spurts... and I'll take it!

That describes me too right now, Bree - spurts of energy in this post-Harvoni phase. Won't it be wonderful when those spurts stop spurting and all flow together to form a new lifetime of energy. :)

kim

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 02:17:05 pm »
Yes SPURTS is a perfect word! Today I am pretty pooped out because yesterday I was going high level. Finally allowing myself a day of regrouping  to avoid burnout! Found a wonderful essentaial oil from omnan ... sacra frankincense. a few drops on my feet at night have had 2 nights undisturbed sleep. Ill take it!!!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 02:17:47 pm »
OMAN sorry !
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline taliah

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2015, 02:30:47 pm »
Oh man, that's worrying. We just booked an international vacation about 3 months after the end of my treatment. So we'll see what happens. (The vacation includes hiking, but maybe I'll just hang out and drink non-alcoholic drinks or something.)

I'm on day 2 of Harvoni. I'm not getting the energy, exactly, but it definitely feels like what happens if I've been drinking coffee (somewhere between 1-2 shots). I'm fairly caffeine sensitive, and this is the sort of hyper-talkative, leg-jiggling feeling I get when I'm on coffee. Too much coffee also tends to make me a zombie after a while...

So we'll see.

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2015, 08:30:02 pm »
Hi talia! Some people are energized by Harvoni.I was very tired at first.your body is getting used to it & that will not last I hope.camomile tea is relaxing & I have heard from the energized people that breathing exercises calmed them.Once I got used to  Harvoni I was able to do lots of things like lay sod & make stone paths in my yard.Some people workout & run long distance .they say it helps.Can't imagine running!!!!!!I was so concerned about being able to feed some cats that depend on me.I never missed a day.I am so glad you are posting...lots of ideas will be coming I am sure.By day 7 most of that virus will be killed. Very exciting!!!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
UNDETECTED!!!

Offline taliah

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2015, 03:21:49 pm »
Maybe these posts should be going into the "On medication" part...

I had insomnia of some sort last night. Didn't go to sleep until 1 or 2, which is really late for me. I've also been feeling unusually irritable, though that could be because of PMS--though I've never had PMS this way before. And I've felt so restless, so I actually walked for a couple miles this morning and plan to go swimming later. Maybe I'll take up jogging or something.

Offline Hep Forum Moderators

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2015, 03:54:16 pm »
We've locked this thread as it has drifted into a conversation about being on treatment. Please join one of the many ongoing threads or start a new one to continue the conversation on the On Hepatitis C Treatment board http://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?board=28.0.

- Hep Forum Moderators

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.