Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 81
Total: 81

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Help Please---scared girl here :-)  (Read 10784 times)

Offline dragonslayerinprogress

Help Please---scared girl here :-)
« on: January 09, 2016, 03:42:30 am »
I don't know how long I've had Hepatitis C. I am 52 years old and I could have gotten it from my  mom who was bleeding to death while pregnat with me back in 1963 or it could have been innoculations as a child. or a dentist.
I guess that doesn't really matter now.
I was a level one in the early 2000's and stayed that way for a long time. Then in 2011 I jumped to a Fibrosis level2. In 2013 I was still a level 2 with a VL of 250,000.
My mom died in 2012 and I have been depressed and stressed in the past three yeas and when I had my testing done in April of last year, I jumped a whole level from a F-2 to a F-4 (according to a fibrosure score) The dr. doesn't know how it could have advanced that quickly and neither do I but my platelets were down to 78,000 so he believed it could happen.
Now in December my platelets went down the low 50 thousand mark and my albumin levels were at 3.3 where normal starts at 3.5. Never, ever did I have problems with Albumin levels. But, my dr. stated that it could also be from my diet. I don't really eat much and I eat lunch at 2-3 and that's usually my first meal. Dinners, since I'm home alone (daughter works at night) husband and I are separated) are usually hungryman salsbury steaks or even frozen chicken pot pies. It feels useless to cook for one person. So yea, I'm not eating well. Every now and then I get swelling when I wake up from bed. It's the eyelids. face, nose, and even lips. Scares the crap out of me. It does disapate in an hour or two but it seems like I cry them out. My eyes leak so to speak. I don't know if this means I am heading to decompensated liver or if I am still compensated. I have no other symptoms. My chloride was slightly high as well. Can someone honestly tell me what I'm looking at here. I'm a geno type 2 b and waiting to start the ribavirin and solvadi treatment which I'm also scared to death of. I'm so afraid that I'm dying and I can't think straight or anything. Any help or advice would be wonderful!
Thanks
Irene
Geno 2b
dx in 1990, 52 years old
Origin: unsure. Might have been infected at birth
Tx Naive
Pre tx labs 12/7/15
VL 1,315,890 6.119
ALT 188
AST 161
Started tx Solvadi/Ribavirin on 1/19/16
4 weeks undetected
8 weeks undetected
12 weeks undetected
16 weeks undetected
20 weeks undetected
24 weeks...no testing
EOT 4 wks UNDETECTED
ALT 34
AST 42
EOT 8 wks- UNDETECTED
ALT 38
AST 50
Platelets 49

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: Help Please---scared girl here :-)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 06:32:08 am »
Hello, Irene. You may be down, but you're NOT out. You CAN become much healthier. Current cure rates for HCV treatments are very high, and once you get rid of the HCV, a whole lot of of symptoms resolve.

You've given us a lot of information to go on. Various people on these forums will be able to contribute different parts of what you are asking, based on our individual experiences and knowledge.

Women with HCV are protected by estrogen, so their HCV progression tends to be slower than men's progression until they start approaching menopause. Then it is not unusual for the HCV to progress rapidly. Depression and stress are definitely factors here, too. So is diet.

The day you were born, you entered a family shaken up by the almost death of your mom. I'm not surprised that your mom's death in 2012 resulted in your having a complicated grief. (People grieve differently, and there's no set amount of time for a person to "relearn her world" after someone significant dies, but you list examples of what is termed complicated grief. Here's a link about it: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/complicated-grief/basics/symptoms/con-20032765)

Back to diet: in a way, you're not eating alone, because there's the adult Irene, who has written this very articulate post, and inside of her is the scared girl Irene, who needs mothering. You've mothered a child. Can you nourish the scared child inside of you by helping her choose foods that will enable her to grow strong and well? Meals don't have to be labor-intensive*: are there any raw vegetables, such as baby carrots, that you like and could keep handy? Try to increase the amount of non-processed foods and decrease foods laden with salt and sugar.

As for being scared of treatment, it's the rare person who isn't scared to begin HCV treatment. But you've found these forums where we're here for each other. We're here for you, Irene. One day at a time, and you'll get there.

Gnatty

*As Rita Rudner said, "I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and say to myself 'well, that's not going to happen.'"
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Gaj

• Optimist
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 08:44:55 am »
Hi Irene,

I second what Gnatty says here. If I could just add something to the comments about diet, as a F4 you will find that regular small meals through the day, say every 2-3 hours, will help. This will be easier for your liver to process than a couple of big meals and are often easier to prepare as you can just have one or two things then something different later without having to match it all up into a "meal" and so can result in a well balanced diet. So sort of snack or graze your way through the day and if you eat lunch with your daughter maybe look at making that the main meal of the day with a couple of light snacks in both the morning and evening. I think you will find that once you get use to doing that it will help balance your blood levels and general health and give you more energy.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 08:51:08 am by Gaj »
Male - 61 years
Genotype 3a (since 1978?)
Diagnosed 2012
Treated 2013 PEG/Riba/Dac (Relapsed)
F4 - HCC#1 Resected 06/15 - #2 RFAblated 11/15
11/18/15 Commenced Generic Tx - Sof/Dac/Riba (24wks)
Pre Tx = ALT: 270  AST: 209  ALB: 31
05/05/16 = ALT: 34  AST: 32  ALB: 40  VL: Undetected (EOT)
06/16/16 = Relapsed
06/23/16 = ALT: 92  AST: 59  ALB: 40  VL: 290,770
01/12/17 3rd Tx - Zepatier + Sofosbuvir (16wks)
05/03/17 EOT und
06/22/17 SVR7 und
07/27/17 SVR12 UND!
10/26/17 SVR24 UND & Cured!!!

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 10:56:04 am »
Hi Irene as another post menopausal woman whose hcv seemed to skyrocket in severity after i hit 50, welcome to the club! I was hitting the same sorts of benchmarks you've posted: getting sicker, seeing edema, albumin tanking ...

It all comes down to this: you need to be treated no matter your ambivalent feelings. Treatment is your best shot at a cure. A life.

Start thinking in terms of living, not dying. Then work towards that.

Sounds tough I know. But you have to do it.

If you're interested, I did a long radio interview about living with hep c. It touches on many of the things you mention, because I went through them too. You're not alone in this. This forum is full of people who can help.

https://m.soundcloud.com/abcnsw/sets/living-with-hep-c-jane-kibbles
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline dragonslayerinprogress

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 12:41:24 pm »
Thanks everyone. Can I ask, with a Cirrhosis dx, was is prognosis after treatment? Can I still live a long life?
I'm scared of that more than the treatment :-)
Thanks for having me here. Hope to contribute to it all as well as a "dragonslayer!"
Geno 2b
dx in 1990, 52 years old
Origin: unsure. Might have been infected at birth
Tx Naive
Pre tx labs 12/7/15
VL 1,315,890 6.119
ALT 188
AST 161
Started tx Solvadi/Ribavirin on 1/19/16
4 weeks undetected
8 weeks undetected
12 weeks undetected
16 weeks undetected
20 weeks undetected
24 weeks...no testing
EOT 4 wks UNDETECTED
ALT 34
AST 42
EOT 8 wks- UNDETECTED
ALT 38
AST 50
Platelets 49

Offline beto

• "no risk it, no biscuit"
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 12:49:35 pm »
Irene

Glad Gnatty hit on the emotional part of all of this.  Your awareness of your poor diet is the first step.  I'm a guy and I prepare meals from scratch twice a day and have done so for 30 years or more.  Food pep does not have to be a pain (in fact it is fun and relaxing) and I can prepare a very healthy gourmet meal in the time it takes to cook a frozen dinner.  In the words of the late Walter Brennan "no brag just fact."  :)

Have you ever had a "fibroscan" or biopsy?  You discuss 'fibrosure' in your post.  If not, you may want to ask your doctor for a scan.  Fibroscan is becoming the gold standard to determine liver stiffness over the majority of the liver.  It is especially sensitive for the higher scores.

Menopause was mentioned.  Another thing happens when menstruation stops and that is that women might then begin to  store excess iron like men.  Menstruation is a natural form of bloodletting which keeps iron levels lower. Hepatitis can greatly increase iron stores in the body which is liver toxic.  You can discuss a 'ferratin' blood test with your doc.  He may have already done one. 

Lastly, you are discovering all of this a a good time.  Finally the meds available have an incredibly high cure rate.  If you just peruse this site you will find countless examples of incredible cures and wonderful 'turn-arounds'.   We will hear from you soon with your own encouraging posts.  You are going to be OK.
HCV/nonA,nonB acute phase 1975
HCV detected active 1990
HCV persistent chronic diagnosis 1995
1995 liver enzymes mild elevations
1996 Biopsy F2 fibrosis
treatment naive geno 1-A
2000-to early 2015 Viral load 150, 000 to 800, 000
recent liver enzymes before treatment alt/ast 59to209,  Fibroscan F4,cirrhosis
start tx Harvoni 7/11/2015
6.5 week-UD-ast/alt 25/25
9wk-UD-ast18 alt23
10/3/15 completed tx
11/5/15 new fibroscan f0-f1 amazed
6wk EOT UD ast/alt 20/20
12EOT-UD-ast/alt19/21
25wk-SVR! 19/18

Offline beto

• "no risk it, no biscuit"
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 01:13:58 pm »
Thanks everyone. Can I ask, with a Cirrhosis dx, was is prognosis after treatment? Can I still live a long life?
I'm scared of that more than the treatment :-)
Thanks for having me here. Hope to contribute to it all as well as a "dragonslayer!"

Here is the basics of cirrhosis.  Currently cirrhosis is based on scores of a few different kinds.  The most used, at least in my own discoveries are F1-F4 and Liver stiffness score  0 to 75+ .  Cirrhosis has it's own levels and complications, and starts at a fibroscan (liver stiffness) score of 12 and up from there.  Cirrhosis is essentially advanced fibrosis...scar tissue.

Lynn will chime in I hope.  However, fibrosis and cirrhosis, when the causative factor is removed will generally stay the same or, or improve.  Some cases of improvement appear to be dramatic, however, mostly improvement is a slow process.  Some advanced cases appear to hold strong and a relatively normal life can ensue if great care is taken to protect the liver.

There have been many studies posted on this site that show fibrosis reversal after the burden (HCV, HBV, alcoholic, etc) is removed.  There are current studies going on that will shed more light on this.  However, to be taken with a grain of salt, I have read many posts and heard many reports of reversal.  Also to be taken with a grain of salt is my own situation whereby a score of 14.8 reversed to and score of 6.1.  I have tried to be careful posting about this, but I do have the labs to back it up.  If one or both of the scans were not flawed, then that is some encouraging news. 
HCV/nonA,nonB acute phase 1975
HCV detected active 1990
HCV persistent chronic diagnosis 1995
1995 liver enzymes mild elevations
1996 Biopsy F2 fibrosis
treatment naive geno 1-A
2000-to early 2015 Viral load 150, 000 to 800, 000
recent liver enzymes before treatment alt/ast 59to209,  Fibroscan F4,cirrhosis
start tx Harvoni 7/11/2015
6.5 week-UD-ast/alt 25/25
9wk-UD-ast18 alt23
10/3/15 completed tx
11/5/15 new fibroscan f0-f1 amazed
6wk EOT UD ast/alt 20/20
12EOT-UD-ast/alt19/21
25wk-SVR! 19/18

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 01:19:28 pm »
Hi Irene, and welcome to the forums! The important thing to know is that your Hep C can now be cured - and relatively easily. And then your liver-related issues  will start to disappear. Even cirrhosis can apparently undo itself to some degree, once the virus is eliminated.

Everyone here has covered all the major points in your situation - diet, menopause, etc. I wanted to add that, as a 2b, you have an alternative to Sovaldi+ribavirin. Namely, 12 weeks of Sovaldi+Daklinza. That way you can avoid the ribavirin and have an equal or greater cure rate than the Sovaldi+riba. (But they are each a very high cure rate, virtually guaranteeing cure).

If you can get Sovaldi+Daklinza through your insurance, great. If not, you can get it via the worldwide Redemption 2 trial being run by fixhepc.com. In that case, you pay for the drugs yourself: $1,400. And they ship them to you. Relevant link is here: http://fixhepc.com/redemption-2.html

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted. :)
kim
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:08:42 pm by KimInTheForest »
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 10:59:31 pm »
Hi Irene

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis in Jan 2008 with liver biopsy and am still going strong. I also had a fibroscan in the fall of 2014 and my score was 27

The single most important thing we can do is to stop the progression of liver damage by treating and curing our hep c.

I have read that at minimum we won't get any worse and it is possible per some studies for us to improve. But either way we should with care be able to live a normal life span. Our only concern would be that we are at risk of Heptocellular carcinoma (HCC) so we will need to be monitored every 6 months probably for the resat of our lives for early indications of liver cancer by having a blood test called AFP and abdominal ultrasounds.

Things my doctor had me do on diagnosis with cirrhosis:
Get vaccinated against Hep A and Hep B
Get the pneumonia Vaccine
Have an upper endoscopy to check for esophageal varicies
We should get a flu vaccine every year as soon as they are available.

This year I got the new Prevnar13 pneumonia vaccine as well.

Things you can do

Avoid salt. I guess the recommendation is less than 1200 mg per day for those with cirrhosis.

Also a liver friendly diet. You can look up a heart smart diet which is also a liver friendly diet.

Don't forget to get your regular medical checks that everyone should. Don't just focus on cirrhosis and forget about the rest of your body.

My doctor says the only OTC pain med I should take is Tylenol but you need to be careful with that med and make sure you don't take more than 2000 mg/day and I wouldn't take it for many days in a row just for occasional use as excess Tylenol can harm the liver. There is some debate about Tylenol here in the forum so just go with your hepatologists recommendation.

I am assuming you are seeing a hepatologist associated with a liver transplant center not because we need to be on the transplant list right now but because they are in the best position to provide us with the proper care with having cirrhosis.

The reason for Tylenol is because other OTC pain meds can be a concern for those with bleeding problems and because we have low platelet counts from cirrhosis that is the issue.

Another thing you want to find out is your MELD score or your Child Pugh score. They are composite scores from some of your blood tests you already have. They are used to see where you should be on the transplant list. Most centers require a MELD above 15 to get on the list. My Meld score is 8. The scale goes from 6 to 40 and most patients depending on the transplant centers demand are being transplanted at scores above 30.

Either I or others here can explain more about MELD or anything else you are curious about ask away.

I would look into the Sovaldi Daklinza option as Kim suggests. Also if you do go with the Sovaldi Ribavirin route there is some data suggesting 16 week of treatment would be more effective for GT 2 with cirrhosis based on the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease most recent Guidelines (AASLD)

http://www.hcvguidelines.org/full-report/initial-treatment-hcv-infection

Welcome to the forum and good luck
Lynn
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:01:35 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline HazelAustralia

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 02:18:01 am »
Hi Irene,

Thanks for your post. For me, I had grown so used to suffering the effects and possible consequences of hep C that it was difficult (but interesting) to change my perspective when this new treatment came along, and consider - what if I were to live a long (or longer) life?

This new treatment isn't any more frightening than having a sometimes strange flu, and not a really bad one - and that's only for me, many people have no side effects.

It's hard for some people to be hopeful (and possible unwise), maybe that's where you are at, but I am sometimes getting so hopeful and excited (when I read that yet another person has had their tests back undetected) at the high probability that I will be free of this virus. And then I pull myself back to my tried and true world of skepticism - just in case I have to face a different fate.

I wish you well with your decisions - it's almost in your hands, I hope you can see through the past into a great opportunity for your future.

Hazel
Female age 53
Australia
Contracted in the 1980's
Genotype 1A
VL 314k

Started treatment with Veikira Pak and Ribaviron on Thursday 17th December 2015
NOT DETECTED, End of Treatment, 16th March 2016

Offline HealthGal3

• Be Good to Yourself!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 05:04:18 pm »
Hey Irene

Welcome to the best HCV forum around!  Everyone here has been there, done that and so forth.  There's nothing to be afraid of, but fear itself.  These new medicines do work, but you must stay on the appropriate regimen in order to get rid of the virus.  Although, I'm a different genotype, Harvoni is definitely putting me on the right track.

Now for diet.  You must regroup and resign yourself to eat properly and rest when your body requires it.  Stay away from alcohol, certain drugs, or anything that may accelerate the decline of the liver.  The liver thrives on B vitamins.  Greens are important.  I have been juicing for a long time, and it really makes the liver feel good.  Get rid of TV dinners and processed foods.  Also, stay away from fatty foods because it makes the liver work too hard.

As for your eyes, as we get older, (I can attest to this) many of us get dry eye syndrome.  That can be alleviated by eye drops.  Many of your ailments could be associated with just plain neglect of listening to your body.  Although, HCV creates certain problems, as we age, we acquire other medical conditions.  You must not make yourself crazy worrying, you need to focus on healing.  Try a soothing massage or see if you can take a long walk to ease stress.

Remember, there is an end in sight for the HCV.  Hang in there, girl!!

Health Gal
HCV diagnosed 06/2005
Probably transmitted through blood products between 1980-1990.
10/2015 Fibroscan F4
10/2015 VL 5,487,456
10/2015 RNA Quantitive 6.74
10/2015 AFT Marker 3.7
10/2015 AST 35
10/2015 ALT 31 (H)
11/23/15 Started 12 Week Harvoni Treatment

Blood work 1/18/16
HCV RNA <15 IU/ml   NOT DETECTED!
HCV RNA <1.18 Log IU/ml  NOT DETECTED!
ALT 11
AST 18

3/7/16 4 Week Follow up after Harvoni treatment.
HCV (still) not detected!
RNA <15  -  <1.18
ALT 13
AST 24

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.