Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:15:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 115
Total: 115

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First post, diagnosed 4 weeks ago  (Read 8044 times)

Offline SwissMan

First post, diagnosed 4 weeks ago
« on: April 12, 2016, 07:52:41 am »
Hi all.  I was diagnosed with Hep C ca. 4 weeks ago.  Gave blood and it came back Hep C positive.  Second test also positive.

I am 53 years old male, live in Switzerland, and either contracted Hep C when I was 16 through blood transfusion (had pretty bad motorcycle accident) or when I was drunk and stupid 20 years ago and decided to get a small tattoo on my arm at a party (not very hygienic).

I went to see my family doctor today and he will refer me for further tests at the University Hospital in Zurich.  No idea when that will be.  I have very good insurance, basic insurance, and on top of that extra premium.

Doctor seemed very "matter of fact" about the whole thing.  He said my liver enzymes not that bad, that I might get treated right away, or perhaps we wait - depends on outcome from Uni Hospital tests.  He said there are new drugs on the market that work miracles and I should cut down on drinking (or stop altogether).

I have been worrying myself to death these last four weeks, but my doctor was so relaxed about the whole thing.

Also a bit worried if I have to take time of work.  What should I say?  Hep C has a lot of stigma around it, and doubt my co-workers will understand.

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
Re: First post, diagnosed 4 weeks ago
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 08:59:28 am »
Hi Swiss Man, the new "miracle drugs" are pretty amazing. Depending on the genotype of hepatitis C you have and the extent of your liver damage, you might only be treating for a few months.

The side effects of these new drugs such as Harvoni are pretty mild for the majority of people and many people work right through treatment. I'm a school principal and I worked part time all the way through six months treatment but my liver is pretty bad and I was quite sick. I'm now back at work full time and although I still deal with the day to day issues of having cirrhosis (I can't drink, am reasonably careful about what I eat, exercise every day) I am doing well.

I told people at work, and in fact I have been quite open with my diagnosis, doing radio and tv interviews to raise awareness of the problem and get the Australian government to fund treatments. That does not suit everyone though. I didn't openly live my diagnosis in public until recently. If you need time off work, you can always go for something vague and meaningless. But as I have said, many people work right through.

I hope you take the opportunity to get cured. You will never regret it.

Good luck!

CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:46:48 am »
Welcome, SwissMan. While any diagnosis is unnerving, now that there are easy, effective new drugs, Hep C isn't the "big deal" it used to be. That's why your doctor can be so relaxed about the whole thing.

If you happen to be the right genotype to use Harvoni, you might be one of the many people (myself included) who get EXTRA energy while on it, making the weeks of treatment effortless -- swallow one pill a day and go about your usual life in turbo mode. (Philadelphia had a less easy treatment than those of us on Harvoni alone, hence she worked only part-time.)

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Cheryl F

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:43:42 pm »
Hi SwissMan - I too have recently been diagnosed with HEP C. I am a 53 year old female in the US. It was a really huge blow finding out.  I have had routine blood tests performed for a long time... but the most recent doctor went a step farther and discovered Hep C.  I started reading all I could about Hep C on the internet... but honestly this site has been the most help.  People in the forums and on the message boards are full of helpful information, compassion, and most of all understanding. I am currently waiting to see how and if insurance will cover treatment. Hang in there and stay strong and focused. Most of all, lean on the people that post on this site for support.  Blessings to you. Peace - Cheryl
53/Female
VL: 624,938
GT: 1b

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.