Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:37:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 102
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cured! But I feel somewhat guilty  (Read 7163 times)

Offline worried55

Cured! But I feel somewhat guilty
« on: February 28, 2017, 07:41:23 pm »
Hey all!  Just found out today that I am still undetected at 24 weeks.  I am officially cured of this demon!  I do however feel guilty.   During this very short journey of mine, I've read so many stories of how people have struggled with this disease.  And even more stories of the attempted old meds and fails.  Not only was I fortunate enough to catch this super early and have no damage to my liver by I was also able to achieve a cure with no ill effects.   I am now back to my reg life, casual drinking included, as my liver is fine!  Its difficult to grasp how easy of a time I had compared to others. I had to fight with the insurance company to get approved and battle my own negativity and fear but physically I did great.  My wish is for it to be this way for all of us!  I will forever be greatful for all the support I have received on this forum.  I will also check in from time to time to help others.  I will keep you all in my prayers.   A cure is out there for everyone!
3a
Diagnosed summer 2014
Infected somewhere between 2009 and 2014. 
Source unknown possibly tattoos or dentist
Started treatment April 2016 Sovaldi and dacklinza
Viral load to start 28,000
4 wk labs... Undetected!!!!!!!
8 wk labs.....Undetected!!!!!
12 wk labs.....(really 14 weeks. Taken 2 weeks post treatment)  Undetected!!!!!
24 wk labs.   Undetected!  Cured!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Cured! But I feel somewhat guilty
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:18:33 am »
Hey congrats on your SVR24 and more than officially cured!

No regrets ok we who came before you would have been happy to be cured years ago sure but we are still ecstatic we are able to be cured today.

Enjoy you new found freedom!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:36:00 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:58:42 pm »
Congrats Worried555! I remember you from earlier posts and just celebrated SVR39 and being discharged from the hepatologist.  I, too, am very grateful!

Re: others who have physicallyt struggled w/ treatment,  keep in mind that most people who go thru treatment have had HCV for many years, often decades (like me, 40+ years), and w/ some degree of fibrosis -- I believe that does influence how one's body handles the treatment drugs. I, fortunately, did not have a hard time w/ Harvoni and am physically & cognitively much improved, but with some residual fatigue issues. Overall, it was a very smooth time and I feel confident my energy level will improve w/ time (and some vitamin supplements).

We are all different and react differently to different drugs, so don't feel guilty! Enjoy your new life w/o HCV! FT
Treatment naive
Likely contracted mid-70s
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2
Harvoni X 12 weeks, completed 5/17/16
Pre-treatment: VL 3 mil, AST 64, ALT 84
4 week labs: VL 30, AST 21, ALT 14
8 week labs: VL UD!!!, AST 22, ALT 16
12 week labs: VL UD, AST 23, ALT 14
2 wk EOT: VL UD
12 wk EOT: VL UD, AST 22, ALT 13 =  SVR 12! Yay! 
Last hep appointment: VL UD, AST 19, ALT 12 = SVR 39! I AM DONE!

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 08:16:23 am »
Sir you are a poster child of why the early treatment of this disease needs to be covered for all now that it is possible! It is economic stupidity and perhaps even socially malicious to say the least to not treat HCV immediately. It is not at all sensible to wait to see if the victim goes on to develop chronic liver disease, or have a sudden progression due to other illness and wind up on the transplant list, possibly infect others, develop HCC and the list goes on.

I rejoice in your freedom and hope you can share the word with others who are ignorant of how important the early treatment of HCV really is becoming and why it needs to be addressed on a national level not a stupid willy nilly devil may care state by state based system!

In Canada we are developing the same problem with early treatment of HCV we have no national policy as of yet.

I am about to start a very strongly worded online petition and hope that the short sighted clowns who count the beans are finally exposed to the truth about how much not treating HCV immediately is going to cost the economy!

Cheers
Eric
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline worried55

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 08:57:52 am »
Yes!   I completely agree Eric!   Being able to have my life back to normal in every way is amazing.   To think that red tape and dollar signs could have prevented this is disgusting!   Everyone needs to be tested and treated!
3a
Diagnosed summer 2014
Infected somewhere between 2009 and 2014. 
Source unknown possibly tattoos or dentist
Started treatment April 2016 Sovaldi and dacklinza
Viral load to start 28,000
4 wk labs... Undetected!!!!!!!
8 wk labs.....Undetected!!!!!
12 wk labs.....(really 14 weeks. Taken 2 weeks post treatment)  Undetected!!!!!
24 wk labs.   Undetected!  Cured!

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 03:27:20 pm »
A cure for all is the goal for sure. I am thrilled you have yours.  Like Lynn says we old timers appreciate a cure just as much as you do. :)
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.