Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2024, 07:56:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 208
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36


Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Colonoscopy after EOT but before SVR12?  (Read 5560 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline elias

  • Member
  • Posts: 285
Colonoscopy after EOT but before SVR12?
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:08:54 pm »

I'm 7 weeks after completing Epclusa. So only 5 more weeks to wait for SVR12. I had been found undetected at EOT+4 Weeks.

My Gastro noted I was way overdue for a colonoscopy and suggested I book for one. However, I said I'd like to postpone it till after this ordeal is over at EOT+12 weeks. I gave him no reason why I wanted to postpone till April.

There was concern on my part that since the viral clearance  or other internal adjustments might still somehow be going on, even 7 weeks off the Epclusa, it might make sense to not interfere with this clearing by such a complex procedure. It involves prepping by laxatives the day before, sedation during the procedure, and removal of polyps, etc. found during the colonoscopy.

Question:  Are my concerns above-about risking SVR 12 at this point in the treatment- in any conceivable way- reasonable?  After all that I've been through to get this far with HCV clearance, I don't in any way want to jeopardize the process by such an invasive procedure. And it's only 5 weeks more to (hopefully) SVR...

But part of me wants to get the unpleasantries of the colonoscopy over and done with before SVR 12 So I can truly feel a sense of relief when I get the SVR 12 report.

So I'm in a quandary as to whether to have this procedure done now rather than in another few weeks. My reasoning for considering postponing is that since viral relapse can still occur up until 12 weeks post EOT, it suggests that viral clearance might somehow still be going on, possibly  via host-immune system? I'm wary of interfering with that process

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:49:14 pm by elias »
Contracted HCV ~age 12
Diagnosed: September 2016 GT2b
F3 by Fibrosure: 0.66
Necroinflammat activity: A3 0.76
VL Sep. 12, 2016: 1.44 million/ Log: 6.157
AST:71/ ALT:114   Sept. 1, 2016 Before treatment
4 week after beginning  Epclusa:
AST 17/ALT 11
Began Epclusa:  October 22, 2016
End of Treatment [EOT]: January 13. 2017
SVR 12 April14-HCV Not Detected

Offline Lynn K

  • Global Moderator
  • Member
  • Posts: 4,545
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Colonoscopy after EOT but before SVR12?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:25:21 pm »
Colonoscopy does not change what is going on with the virus. There is nothing you can do to cause a relapse. I had my annual upper endoscopy while on treatment.

The only risk would be an entirely new infection but that very low risk would exist anytime you undergo any procedure.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!


© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.