Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:36:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 85
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Blood results after treatment - could someone please explain RNA- Antibodies+  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Aussie

I just got my post treatment (week 12) results over the phone:

HCV RNA not detected but positive for HCV antibodies. Pathologist Note: have test repeated in 12 months

What does this mean?
G1b & G4e (multiple infection)
Infected after blood transfusion as an infant and IV drug use in 1980s
Diagnosed 1986
Currently on Zapatier (started 16-1-17)
No Cirrhosis
VL 46000
ALT 43
AST 48
GGT 51
4 weeks into treatment LFTs are within normal range
ALT 26
AST 29
GGT 24
HCV & VL not tested

8 weeks into treatment
ALT 21
AST 20
GGT 19

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Once exposed to the hepatitis c virus and tested positive on a hep c antibody test you will test positive for hepatitis c antibodies likely for the rest of your life. 

Anti-bodies are not the hepatitis C virus they were made by your body in response to being exposed to the hepatitis C virus. They are part of your body's natural defense system that were created by your own body in an attempt to fight the hepatitis C virus.

Most consider a not detected result done 12 weeks after treatment has ended to be  tantamount to a cure. I suspect your doctor is just being cautious and wants to test you again for the virus at 1 year post treatment to be 100% sure you are cured. But really once you achieve SVR12 (a sustained viral response at 12 weeks post treatment) your odds of remaining not detected are about 99.8% and really the most common way to test positive for the virus would not be a relapse and rather a new infection.

But again there is no point in testing for hep c antibodies as you will always test positive for antibodies to the hep c virus because you were once infected with hepatitis c.

Just to be sure did you finish your treatment 12 weeks before this test was taken?

Or was this the test done at the end of your treatment when you had just in the last day or few days had taken your last dose of medication?

If this was your EOT (end of treatment) test your doctor will likely want to test you at the 12 week post treatment point. That is a test done 12 weeks after you took your last dose of medicine to make sure you have not relapsed and are cured.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:12:44 am by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline gnatcatcher

Hi, Aussie --

I was still typing when Lynn beat me to it, but there may be some value in reading a "second opinion" worded a bit differently.

It means you ARE cured ("HCV RNA not detected" 12 weeks after the end of tx is officially a cure). You will most likely continue to be positive for antibodies -- there are some very rare individuals who eventually test negative for antibodies, but the norm is for us to continue to test positive for antibodies for the rest of our lives -- all it means is that, because we were exposed to HCV in the past, our immune systems are on the alert for it.

As for being retested in 12 months, my hepatologist wants his cured patients to get a viral load annually for a total of three years. That seems like unnecessary "defensive medicine," given that the relapse rate on these DAAs is so very low, but being tested one year after the cure can provide additional peace of mind.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Hi Gnatty

I just wanted to confirm with Aussie that this test was I fact done 12 weeks after treatment was completed and not at the end of a 12 week treatment. What caught my attention was in Aussies signature "Currently on Zapatier (started 16-1-17)" . If Aussies treatment was started on January 16th that was only 93 days ago or 13 weeeks. That makes me think the reported test result was an EOT test and not an SVR 12 test.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Aussie

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your quick responses!

To clarify, the blood that was tested was taken 3 days after I had my last dose of Zepatier.

I have yet to see all the results, but the pathology company kindly gave me the PCR results over the phone.

I was very concerned by the anti-bodies being present, but relieved this is quite normal and expected.

I guess it is promising news, but will have to have more tests done. It was just a notation from the pathologist suggesting another test in 12 months.

My treating doctor is away, however I will see someone else in the next few days at his surgery.

Therefore, to summarise what you have stated, I cannot consider that I am 'cured' but it is looking good so far. Pending blood test results in 12 weeks, these will give me a more definitive answer. Have I got this right?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:46:52 am by Aussie »
G1b & G4e (multiple infection)
Infected after blood transfusion as an infant and IV drug use in 1980s
Diagnosed 1986
Currently on Zapatier (started 16-1-17)
No Cirrhosis
VL 46000
ALT 43
AST 48
GGT 51
4 weeks into treatment LFTs are within normal range
ALT 26
AST 29
GGT 24
HCV & VL not tested

8 weeks into treatment
ALT 21
AST 20
GGT 19

Offline gnatcatcher

. . . Therefore, to summarise what you have stated, I cannot consider that I am 'cured' but it is looking good so far. Pending blood test results in 12 weeks, these will give me a more definitive answer. Have I got this right?

Yes.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.