Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:41:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 100
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 75
Total: 76

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 8590 times)

Offline RickG16

A couple of questions
« on: May 26, 2017, 01:28:25 am »
I'm relieved to find this forum. Have joined a few HBV Facebook groups, but it appears English isn't their first language!

Have a few questions, and welcome any replies from those with knowledge or first hand experience.

I was diagnosed with acute HBV on March 15th. Had no symptoms prior, but they came pretty quickly by early April. After experiencing dark urine, headaches and fatigue, they all went away (apart from a little fatigue) by the end of April, but now I am left with the pain / discomfort in the upper right abdomen. From my limited medical knowledge, it feels like this is the disease 'making itself at home' in my liver after the symptoms have passed. Does anyone know if this is a sign I am more likely to be chronic, or is it just a normal symptom of acute to have for a nearly two months? (It has still not gone away)

On diet - I have refrained from alcohol, only had 1 or 2 cigarettes (literally) and tried to follow advice of lots of fruit and veg, with whole grains, hardly any dairy, no fried food etc. A typical dinner for me is grilled chicken, brown rice and salad. I am naturally a big eater with a very quick metabolism which means I don't get fat (I exercise a lot which is probably a factor) - as such, the change in diet has left me feeling a bit weak. I am tempted to throw in a few more naughty carbs (maybe cake every now and then, dairy etc)to give myself more energy and help me fight the disease. Is this advised?

Those are my two main questions, on the ab pain and diet. Any suggestions welcome...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:30:07 am by RickG16 »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 03:58:43 pm »
These questions would be best asked of your doctor but that being said, the liver does not have pain receptor nerve endings but as with other internal organs there is a membrane surrounding the liver which does have pain receptor nerves. Normally what would cause these nerves to feel pain would be from swelling of the liver pushing on this membrane. Really feeling pain from the liver is not that common. I have cirrhosis for 9.5 years now and have no upper right quadrant pain.

As to diet I have read a heart smart diet is a liver smart diet with especially with a restriction of salt. Not familiar with restrictionof dairy.

As far as I know there is no way to know who will become chronic and who will clear. But again that is best asked of your treating physician.

Good luck to you
Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 06:51:37 pm »
Welcome. Lynn's feedback is right on. This is normal and not an indication of chronicity.
The only thing I'd add, is there is an excellent book which I am going to review soon on my blog called the Skinny Liver: https://www.hepmag.com/page/bookstore#skinny. It was written for fatty liver disease, but it is a book that I think is perfect for nearly everyone.

My own curiosity speaking here, and if you don't want to answer, please ignore. Do you know how you got hep B? Also, did your doc give you a timeline to follow-up to find out if it has become chronic?

Hope to hear back from you.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline RickG16

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 03:33:20 am »
Welcome. Lynn's feedback is right on. This is normal and not an indication of chronicity.
The only thing I'd add, is there is an excellent book which I am going to review soon on my blog called the Skinny Liver: https://www.hepmag.com/page/bookstore#skinny. It was written for fatty liver disease, but it is a book that I think is perfect for nearly everyone.

My own curiosity speaking here, and if you don't want to answer, please ignore. Do you know how you got hep B? Also, did your doc give you a timeline to follow-up to find out if it has become chronic?

Hope to hear back from you.

Thanks, Lynn actually said the upper right ab pain wasn't normal in terms of liver problems, as what actually has the nerve receptors is the membrane around it.

I am pretty sure it was an STD. I am in a foreign land here, where asking too many questions often leads to confusion. Soas I have not been in desperate pain, I am just trying to follow all the best advice (on diet, no alcohol etc) and come back in 6 months as I was advised. Diagnosed in mid March, so mid September it is!

Hope this feeling in my stomach will have gone away by then.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.