Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:55:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 100
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 86
Total: 86

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Very Unique Situation  (Read 17571 times)

Offline mdrv500

Very Unique Situation
« on: September 22, 2014, 01:26:17 am »
I've had heavy exposure (similar to sharing needles repeatedly) with someone I know to have a chronic hep c infection. My liver became very swollen as shown in a ct scan, liver enzymes were high (my gp asked if I was an intravenous drug user), and I went through a case of jaundice. From what I gather, this guy showed up with half a liver and did not test positive for antibodies. He became a bit of a research project and from what he told me he has a significant mutation of the virus. It would be easy if I could speak to him but he actually maliciously infected me and would like nothing more than to to see me suffer and protect himself (If I get testing/treatment this all points back to him). So I'm stuck. Negative antibody test. Trying to get an RNA test done don't think it will amount to much. Really hoping to get some insight as to what is possible in terms of finding a virus I guess. To complicate things more it is very probable that he infected some of the people I was living with and they will need to be notified by me at some point as to the risks and their exposure. It's a complete mess, any help would be appreciated.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Very Unique Situation
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:34:51 am »
It is unlikely that someone wouldn't have HCV antibodies because of a viral mutation, and even more unlikely that 2 of you with significant liver disease would test negative for HCV antibodies, presuming you were exposed to HCV. Is it possible that the liver damage is due to something else? 
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline mdrv500

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:59:03 pm »
What I believe I was experiencing was the acute phase of a hepatitis infection. I'm young, do not drink, smoke, take any medication and follow up liver function (2 years later) did not show anything abnormal. Again, it's a strange situation. I know it's unlikely but feel it's a real possibility given what he has said and what I experienced in terms of non trivial symptoms. I guess I'm wondering what's medically possible in terms of finding a virus in someone's blood should I get no where in finding information about his situation. The other issue is that I have to notify people that they may have had significant exposure to this guy's blood and that testing may not be adequate. It's all messed up and I'm just trying to work through it and figure out what my options are. It's not pleasant.

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:08:21 pm »
Finding out if you have a Hep-C  infection is a very straight forward process. First, blood is drawn to test for the presence of the Hep-C antibody, which your body produces when you are exposed to the Hep-C virus.

If this test comes back negative, one of two conclusions can be drawn: (1) you do not have Hep-C or (2) the test is a false negative. If the test is believed to be a false negative, another Hep-C antibody test should be completed to confirm an infection or validate the results of the first test (negative for Hep-C).

An RNA test measure the viral load (the number of Hep-C viruses present in the blood and the genotype). However, if you don't test positive for the Hep-C antibody, this test would not be necessary, as you can't have a Hep-C viral load without the presence of the Hep-C antibody your body naturally produces when exposed to the virus.

It sounds like the information the guy has given you is false.

From everything you've reported, it does not seem like you have a Hep-C infection: No antibodies = no exposure to the Hep-C virus = no Hep-C infection.

Lastly, you indicated that you had some liver issues a couple of years ago that have since resolved and that you were tested for Hep-C, which came back negative. Were you also checked for Hepatitis A or B? What did the doctor indicate was the cause of the liver inflammation and jaundice two years ago? Were you given a diagnoses?

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline mdrv500

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »
Did not go to see the doctor when jaundiced. It happened a few weeks after I saw him and he asked if I was an intravenous drug user. Really not sure what's going on. Gonna speak to my gp again soon and will update. Thanks for the advice.

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 03:01:00 pm »
I am sorry to hear that, like MKE said heroin is on the rise and evil is taking over,, your no longer friend is just caught up in that evil, I was there once and I too hurt a lot of people,you become so selfish and does nothing but get worse and worse until and if you can kick it and then theirs years of shame and trying to put it in the past,, I don't know, maybe you should wait to tell your friends until you know for sure,,, I don't know,, I am just trying to beat this hepc thing one day at atime,, may GOD be with you and iam seriously praying for you right now  ''just''   Willie g

Offline willie g

Re: hepc ''IS NO JOKE''
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 03:06:48 pm »
I feel like one big asshole right now,, what am I thinking,, all this crap I have been posting has NOT helped many,   oh GOD I am such an asshole   I don't need any replies I just need to stop

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »
Willie - we are all wounded here and we don't shoot our wounded, and we especially don't shoot ourselves. Give yourself a huge hug and know that we love you.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline willie g

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 04:36:45 pm »
ok, thanks,, if you do shoot, use those rubber bullets,,,   ''just'' willie g'''  I got my grandchilds cold and it is kicking my butt[well, not my butt,,, not yet]  thx again and I will be in for a interview with my resume,,, ohhh wont that be fun   he he  hey, I am still an asshole  but whata ya gonna do, I am popeye the sailor man!  ""I am what I am"" tooo tooo

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 05:38:09 pm »
Ya, Willie,

Don't get down on yourself. You're a great member of this forum and you've given some great advice and support.

Keep on keepin' on!

Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline mdrv500

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 06:37:58 pm »
Just to be clear I'm not currently nor have ever been an iv drug user. My route of infection is similar to that of an iv drug user, needle sticks and such. I got on the wrong side of a very sick individual. Anyway I have a theory as to what is going on and need to see my gp for some blood work. Will update in a couple weeks. This could be a weird one.

Offline willie g

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 09:09:36 pm »
mdrv500,  your user name kinda sounds like a new car coming out,, anyway, good luck my friend and your right ''IT WILL GET WIERD''  WE LOVE YA good luck  ''just Willie  g  BACK in the HEPC thankyou MIKE ,LUCINDA, everybody!  and by the grace of GOD we will all be fine.

Offline mdrv500

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 12:50:13 am »
I've been reading up on exposure to the virus via needle sticks and have read that the chance of actually contracting the virus via that kind of exposure is apparently quite low. I'm wondering if you can fill me in on what you know about the chances of transmission via needle sticks and if it differs from sharing of needles. I think what has happened is that some of my roommates and I were infected with hep b despite being vaccinated. Given that their exposure to this guy's blood was significantly less than mine, it seems very unlikely that they would have contracted hep c. Still trying to figure out what's going on.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 10:15:05 am »
Rather than spending a lot of time speculating about your chances, how about get an antibody test 6 months after the exposure - that is the longest it takes for antibodies to form. Either you have hep C or you don't. If you do, then you can be treated and put this behind you.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline mdrv500

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 06:29:13 pm »
I have, tested negative. Was also vaccinated against hep b. Thing is I was effectively sharing needles with this guy and I know him to be hep b/c positive. As a result my liver swelled up like a balloon, elevated liver enzymes, jaundice, dark urine, gray stool, you get the picture. I understand your view as to testing and what the results mean. From what I remember, my roomate several years ago was exposed to this guys blood and came down with an active hep b infection which his body cleared. He had also been vaccinated. To me it's apparent that I've gone through the acute stage of a hepatitis infection. What I don't know is whether I'm dealing with a hep c infection that evades detection or a hep b virus that is resistant (wrong word) to the vaccine. After looking at some statistics regarding the rate of symptoms in acute hep c infection, the effectiveness of transmission via needle stick, and the fact that I tested negative for anti bodies leads me to believe that I have not contracted hep c but I am still unsure. Several of my former roommates turned yellow after exposure to this guys blood and their exposure would not have been serious enough to contract hep c. Hep b on the other hand seems possible given their symptoms and level of exposure even though they were all vaccinated. It apparently didn't protect my friend so who knows.

Offline Mike

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 07:00:23 pm »
It sounds like you may have been infected with Hep-B, as it is possible to acquire a viral infection after being vaccinated.

The reason I believe this is that you have been tested for the Hep-C and the test came back negative.

As Lucinda suggested, get a retested in a few months, and if the result is still negative for Hep-C, you don't have, nor have you been exposed to, the Hep-C virus.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 09:29:37 am »
MDRV500 - there are lots of types of hepatitis, and more likely one of those caused your problem rather than the very rare scenario of the vaccine not working, or the virus escaping detection. 
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline mdrv500

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 10:01:40 am »
It's certainly very possible. I have lived a complete nightmare scenario with someone who stalked me for many years and it has taken a devastating toll. The things that he did to me and the people around me were beyond horrific. The work of a person who I could only describe as being very mentally ill and willing to do serious physical harm to people. I'll be quite honest in saying I'm really not freaking out about hep b/c. He did far worse things to me and living to see the day that I actually suffer from hep viruses would be a gift. If you had gone through what I have it would make a lot more sense and look a lot less like hypocondria. Like the title of the thread says, it's a pretty unique situation. I would also like to point out that from my memory my roommate aquired a hepatitis b infection despite being vaccinated after exposure to this guys blood and several others whom have also had exposure to his blood have also been jaundiced but were never tested at least to my knowledge. It happened with different roommates (3-4 total) in different locations spread over a period of 2-3 years. My case of jaundice and liver inflammation came around year 4 when I was living alone and completely oblivious to the danger I was in. I didn't even lock my doors. In any case the blood work is being processed and if nothing comes of it then I just give up and have to carry on.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.