Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:40:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 64
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Five years of SVR  (Read 8995 times)

Offline knewboy

Five years of SVR
« on: February 04, 2015, 02:11:10 pm »
Survived a year and five months of the old interferon/ribavirin regimen -- I was a late responder -- with only a destroyed thyroid as an aftereffect.  (That's 72 interferon shots and 3,024 riby caps.)  By week 40 my Hg was down to 7 and had to pay for four weeks of Procrit myself or d/c treatment.  But I've been clear since November of 2009, and that makes the experience one to be thankful for.

Now the V.A. is telling me that I no longer need yearly qualitative, that there's a 99% chance I will stay clear.  The doc says instead he will monitor yearly liver function tests and if no spikes occur, the qualitative test isn't necessary.  I hope he's right. 

Of course, the antibodies will always be in my blood. 

Wish I knew about this forum while undergoing treatment because the support would have helped with all the ancillary issues that arose.  The V.A. system keeps to the twenty-minute-and-out plan for appointments, so there isn't much time for quality Q & A's.  But the price is certainly right: didn't pay a penny for the treatment, except the Procrit.

Anyway, I do have a post-treatment concern.  Now that I have been clear for five years, what do I tell a prospective intimate partner, if anything?  My moral compass points to full disclosure, but the V.A. staff says, Not so fast.  You're cured.  Even under the worst conditions HCV is difficult to pass on; post-successful treatment, the odds of communicating the virus -- assuming safe sex practices are used -- are infinitesimal.  This is what they told me.

Is there any research into the chances of infecting a partner in a monogamous intimate relationship, post-treatment?

Thank you, forum folk.  God be with all of you.

Offline Katie

Re: Five years of SVR
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 05:57:22 pm »
What I have been told is that it is only with "risky sexual activity" and there are many couples where the spouse of the HepC victim was not infected, ever.  I think you are just fine especially since you have been clear for so long. 

The virus must be wiped out or it would be replicating and showing up and a virus replicates exponentially.  It is one reason we have to wait for 12 weeks for another test to see if some were hiding out and starting to replicate again.  The only thing I would worry about if I were you is becoming reinfected by an outside source. So relax and enjoy your cure.  I can't wait til I can say the same thing!

Katie
1 year post treatment blood work done and I am FREE!
GT 1a (4/1/2016)
Dx 2005
VL 2.6 million (fluctuated from 2-16 million during the 9 years)
Started Tx 12/4/2014 for 12 weeks
4 week blood work  Detected 59 IU/mL
EOT Detected <12 IU/mL
7.5 weeks post  Undetected
16 week post Undetected
24 WEEK POST UNDETECTED (I made it)
Waiting to feel good but feeling blessed!
12 month post treatment.  All blood work absolutely perfect! VL, as expected UNDETECTED!

Offline sunrise

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:43:42 pm »
Hi Knewboy
     Good to hear you are UD. Sorry you had to go thru the old standard tx.,  but it did work. That's a miracle. As for intimacy. These times we live in its probably a good idea to use safe sex practices.  Even though we beat this disease, well myself so far so good.4 week post tx UD . There are plenty of nasty bugs waiting to inhabit our bodies. Just be safe, better than sorry...Blessings Sunrise

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 05:37:00 pm »
Hi Knewboy,

You're cured. You don't have to disclose anything unless you want to. There's no moral/health directive anymore. You can't pass something you don't have.  ;)

Best wishes, Mike

Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline MyFriendJimi

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 04:03:26 am »
hi knewboy. i had a triple deal, telaprevir, interferon, ribavirin for 12months. my last treatment was 5yrs ago in august 2012. my viral load is still nil.

i still get random rashes with or without swelling, puffed out swollen eye sockets, finger and toe cramps, and the stupid psoriasis that started during treatment which i think is going to last forever (even though im on otezla). thank God we're cured!

but how are you feeling now? do you have any leftover side effects years later? i can't find real info on the internet about life after treatment years down the road. the doctors looks at my symptoms and dismiss me quickly with a generic quick fix.

hope everything worked out with the partner.  ;)

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.