Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:30:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: just found out I have hep c and I have no kids....I really wanted one  (Read 11937 times)

Offline zerolaw

I will not bring a child into this world with a disease.....im going to try and get this harvoni meds to stop the progression but I will never be a father now im totally heartbroken....my life feels over now that I cant be a dad.....

Offline Scoutdoy

Re: just found out I have hep c and I have no kids....I really wanted one
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 03:39:02 pm »
Hep c is not a deal breaker in life or children. It's devastating to get the news but don't over react. There are cures now. Not only that but, I have 2 children who don't have hep c and a spouse that doesn't have hep c and I have had it for 30 years. I just finished Harvoni, and am undetected! Get to a good hepatologist and get on one of the treatments. This isn't 1995, there are cures now. Read some info on the forums and ask questions. You may not even have active hep c... Only have the antibody...

Go Royals
Scout
F/49yrs
Genotype 1a
infected 1987-tatoo/military?
Diagnosed 2007
Biopsy F-0
vl 13,900,000
AST 23
ALT 19
Harvoni Treatment 7/27/2015
4 week lab --<12 negative...AST 23 ALT 15
6 week lab -- Undetected.....AST 17 ALT 10
8 week lab---undetected.......AST15 Alt 10
12 week lab---UNDETECTED....AST 15 ALT 9
12 week EOT--1/13/2016----UNDETECTED!
24 week EOT ----UNDETECTED  --AST 18 ALT 12
I AM FREE!

Offline zerolaw

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 03:49:55 pm »
Thanks for the info but I don't get it having the antibody is having the disease isnt it

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:12:36 pm »
Thanks for the info but I don't get it having the antibody is having the disease isnt it

Most absolutely not!  .. Were you diagnosed with the antibody test only, or did you have a Viral load done.  Big big difference.  Having antibodies means you were exposed; the reason that doesnt necessarily  mean you have the disease is a percentage of people so exposed will fight off the disease with their immune system.. Most dont, however, but to verify this, your doctor needs to order you a  quantitative rna PCR test, in other words, a viral load and a genotype test.  That is the standard way to confirm that you have the disease, or not.. All of us here having reached SVR (cured) or not will test antibody positive for the rest of our lives...  So what... it doesnt mean anything other than that we were exposed.

Have that viral load test if you havent already, to find out what your status really is.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:14:11 pm by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline Joe NM

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 04:16:27 pm »
Thanks for posting here, and for sharing the rough news. But hopefully not as rough as you're thinking.

Having the antibody doesn't necessarily mean you have hepatitis C. About 1 in 5 people who catch hepatitis C fight it off naturally with their own immune system, usually within the first 6 months of catching it (if it doesn't go on for the rest of your life, that means you had 'acute' hepatitis C...if your immune system doesn't get rid of it completely, then it becomes 'chronic' or lifelong). If that happens, then even though you're free from hepatitis C you'll still have the antibody. The way that works is, every time you get sick from ANY virus, your immune system makes a special cell designed to fight that particular virus--that special cell is called an antibody. Consider it a 'tool' that your body has developed to fight hepatitis C. Even people who are treated and cured still have that antibody for the rest of their lives--not because they HAVE hepatitis C, but because they HAD it at one time.

The only way to tell if you actually have chronic hepatitis C is if they can find the actual virus in your blood ('viral load,' or 'HCV RNA Quantitation'). This is the number that has to be 'undetectable' three months after treatment to be considered cured.

In terms of having kids...

As a man, the only way to transmit HCV sexually to a woman is if BLOOD transfers from you to her. HCV ONLY LIVES IN THE BLOOD, and it does not transmit through semen. The rate of sexual transmission is less than 5% per 20 years.
ANAL sex, where a lot more tearing/blood are present, is a much bigger risk. But I hear no one gets pregnant that way.

If you're really concerned, you could see a fertility clinic or OB/GYN and see about insemination rather than the old-fashioned way (as in, giving sperm sample, etc.), that way you wouldn't put a woman at ANY risk of catching HCV during your attempt to have a child.

Even men with HIV can have children 100% safely now through a technique called 'sperm washing.' (though people with HIV who are successfully being treated have nearly ZERO chance of transmitting the virus, regardless).

Hope this helps. And even if it is a chronic infection, you can and will be cured! It's pretty easy these days, once you get somebody to pay for the drugs (insurance or a drug-manufacturer program can usually do that).
HCV Case Manager
Type-1 diabetic
Connoisseur of battling insurance companies, and when that fails resorting to 'Sample Pharmacies' and sneaking insulin back from Mexico to survive.
Kindred spirit/admirer of all on this forum!
Here to help in any way I can!
EVERYONE DESERVES A CURE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.